Multiple Sources: Sox actively shopping Quentin

SoxFan1

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phillies are looking for a right handed hitting outfielder to replace Werth, and have already been rumored to have been interested in Quentin.

I'd take Dominic Brown for Carlos. Put him in RF, and get relievers with the money saved.

They might be willing to let Brown go for a proven middle of the order, right handed slugger.

With Utley, Howard and Ibanez, plus the switch hitting Rollins and Victorino, they don't need another LH bat.

You don't trade Quentin for Dominic Brown unless your scouts are CERTAIN he can put up at least Alexei Ramirez numbers.

Every year, there's 3-4 Cameron Maybins or Fernando Martinezes or Gerardo Parra's and almost none of them put up the number that an injured Quentin put up the last two years...let alone have the ability to put up 40-125.

It just doesn't fit with this "all in" philosophy. Sure, we can theorize that trading for our own version of Austin Jackson would balance the line-up and save us $3-4 million, but KW better know exactly what he's doing.

We don't have to trade Quentin. Of course, the Phils could take a risk too and go with Francisco/Gload/Brown, but both teams consider themselves World Series contenders....so you're going to weaken the line-up and put more pressure on Beckham, Rios, Ramirez, Teahen, etc. to produce again? I don't think that's a wise move.

Try Viciedo in RF, he has the arm...he can't be worse than Josh Fields in LF. See what you have out there first...and see how healthy Quentin looks in spring training. His value is pretty low now...selling him at this point is pretty dubious.

Whatever you do, you NEVER trade Quentin to open up playing time for TEAHEN because you're stuck with his contract. After spending that money on Dunn, Konerko and bringing AJ back, that would be the definition of stupidity.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
I have no problem shopping Quentin. His lack of range in the outfield negates a significant portion of his offensive value, he cannot stay healthy, and much of his on-base skill relies in getting hit by the baseball. With Dunn and Konerko signed, we can more legitimately test the waters with Quentin. If someone wants to overpay, then by all means I'm for it.

Yet that guy in LF we have got hit 21 times (in a fluke year for him for HBP) inflating his OBP to .341. Personally, I'd rather just keep Quentin and stick him in LF where he'd hurt you less defensively and put De Aza in RF where he can probably give you what Pierre is giving you. Or if you don't want to risk the unknown (and I'll partially say that about Q as well), put Rios in RF and see whats out there for a CF if you want to keep Pierre/Quentin. (not saying go out and grab Granderson, but you get the point) Rios is still a defensive stud in CF or RF and I'll personally stomach watching Pierre play baseball for another season.

In either case, Mark Teahen has got to go to help free up some of that cash.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
And who are we going to trade to get Granderson?

We can't keep acquiring a slew of these players that are making $10 million plus a season...with multi-year contracts that hamstring us in future years.

I could of sworn I said "not trying to say go out and get Granderson" which means no I wasn't trying to say get that guy (or Cameron) making 10+ mil.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
I could of sworn I said "not trying to say go out and get Granderson" which means no I wasn't trying to say get that guy (or Cameron) making 10+ mil.

But what stud young CFer is there out that we actually have the minor league talent to acquire?

Viciedo alone won't be enough to do it. Trading Danks/Floyd makes even less sense.

Someone will say Rasmus, but we don't have the pieces to go after him without creating other gaping holes in the major league roster.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
Personally, I think our lineup takes too big a hit if you ship TCQ out for bullpen help. That's just insanity.

At home it does. With his splits on the road the last two years, I think we'd be fine with someone else as long as they can play some D.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
Yet that guy in LF we have got hit 21 times (in a fluke year for him for HBP) inflating his OBP to .341.

You're missing the point. Quentin has a history of being quite fragile, and has sustained injuries to both the wrist and hand while with the Sox. That he makes a habit of getting hit by pitches doesn't do anything to quell this concern.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Quentin and specs for Garza goddamnit. Then deal a starter for OF AND RP help.

Trading Q for relievers alone scares the s*** out of me.

I would love to see this happen. Personally if we do land Garza i'm not very keen on turning around and moving a starter, I don't think Peavy will be back till June.

If we're really "all in" I would love too see the four following things happen for this offseason.

1.) Trade Quentin and Viciedo for Garza and a prospect

2.) Burn down the farm to go get Soria

3.) Trade for Beltran(18.5m) with a swap of bad contracts for Teahen(4.75m + 5.5m) and some $(6m?) coming from the mets {thats a saving of 2.25m for them)

4.) Sign LHP Andrew Miller

L Pierre LF

R Beckham 2B

S Beltran RF

R Konerko 1B

L Dunn DH

R Rios CF

R Ramirez SS

L AJ C

R Morel 3B

SP - Danks, Jackson, Buehrle, Floyd, Garza

BP - Soria, Thornton, Sale, Santos, Infante, Miller, Pena

Bench - Castro, Lillibridge, Vizquel, DeAza

win.

It would be a lot to burden for this season; but going into 2012 we shed a ton of payroll: Beltran(18.5), Jackson(8.35), Buehrle(14), Pierre(8.5), Thornton(3m), Vizquel(1.75) and Castro(1.2) would all be coming off the books(55.3m). Going into that offseason the FA market looks pretty thin outside of Prince and Albert the outfield options look something like this Michael Cuddyer, Jason Kubel, Carlos Beltran and J.D. Drew. Our rotation going into '12 is still in tact with Sale and hopefully a healthy Peavy. We could also re-sign Threets, by that time he should be healthy. I also imagine going into that offseason we would be offering ARB to Thornton & Jackson and possibly Buehrle depending on Peavy's health and how he performs this year.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
I'd take Dominic Brown for Carlos.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:02 AM)
You don't trade Quentin for Dominic Brown unless your scouts are CERTAIN he can put up at least Alexei Ramirez numbers.

You guys do not understand the caliber of prospect that Domonic Brown is.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
Yet that guy in LF we have got hit 21 times (in a fluke year for him for HBP) inflating his OBP to .341. Personally, I'd rather just keep Quentin and stick him in LF where he'd hurt you less defensively and put De Aza in RF where he can probably give you what Pierre is giving you. Or if you don't want to risk the unknown (and I'll partially say that about Q as well), put Rios in RF and see whats out there for a CF if you want to keep Pierre/Quentin. (not saying go out and grab Granderson, but you get the point) Rios is still a defensive stud in CF or RF and I'll personally stomach watching Pierre play baseball for another season.

In either case, Mark Teahen has got to go to help free up some of that cash.

I get that everyone hates Pierre, but no, De Aza does not equal Pierre.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
You guys do not understand the caliber of prospect that Domonic Brown is.

I do understand what Caulfield is saying. No matter what caliber prospect Brown is, he still has not proven anything in the majors, while CQ has had an MVP caliber season. Brown has all the hype and the talent, but he still has done little to nothing in MLB, while Quentin has a history. Everything says that Dominic Brown will be a stud, but until it happens, its still a question mark.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
I would love to see this happen. Personally if we do land Garza i'm not very keen on turning around and moving a starter, I don't think Peavy will be back till June.

If we're really "all in" I would love too see the four following things happen for this offseason.

3.) Trade for Beltran(18.5m) with a swap of bad contracts for Teahen(4.75m + 5.5m) and some $(6m?) coming from the mets {thats a saving of 2.25m for them)

L Pierre LF

R Beckham 2B

S Beltran RF

R Konerko 1B

L Dunn DH

R Rios CF

R Ramirez SS

L AJ C

R Morel 3B

win.

It would be a lot to burden for this season; but going into 2012 we shed a ton of payroll: Beltran(18.5), Jackson(8.35), Buehrle(14), Pierre(8.5), Thornton(3m), Vizquel(1.75) and Castro(1.2) would all be coming off the books(55.3m). Going into that offseason the FA market looks pretty thin outside of Prince and Albert the outfield options look something like this Michael Cuddyer, Jason Kubel, Carlos Beltran and J.D. Drew. Our rotation going into '12 is still in tact with Sale and hopefully a healthy Peavy. We could also re-sign Threets, by that time he should be healthy. I also imagine going into that offseason we would be offering ARB to Thornton & Jackson and possibly Buehrle depending on Peavy's health and how he performs this year.

Words cannot describer how happy I would be if they all pulled this off, even though I realize it's the longest of long shots. I wonder if Teahen plus a B-/C+ prospect for Beltran plus ~$6 or 7 million is realistic?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
Again, why would the Rays want Carlos Quentin, especially for Garza? If they are going to bring in a guy who plays no defense, they'll bring him in from outside the organization and they'll almost certainly do it for less than $5 million.

I also don't know why the Rangers would give up prospects for Matt Garza when

#1 - they are still very much in the running for Cliff Lee

#2 - if they trade for a starting pitcher, I think it's much more likely to be Greinke than Garza

Because the Rays DH situation is so bad they're looking at maybe adding Edwin Encarnacion to help out Dan Johnson. And Leslie Anderson is probably the favorite for 1B.

Adding Quentin and Viciedo in a deal is an even cash swap and fills two holes while giving them insurance. Anderson is a very capable OF. He could rotate around from OF to 1B with Viciedo also at 1B and Quentin the regular DH. Johnson becomes a backup 1B/DH.

If the Rays just sign Encarnacion outright it'll cost them probably half what CQ is going to make in arb, maybe a bit more, i.e. $2.5-3M.

Keep in mind that Pena and Crawford are off the books as is a bunch of money tied up in relief. It makes a ton of sense for them to look to us. What doesn't make sense from their standpoint is trading Garza to the Cubs for prospects.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)

L Pierre LF

R Beckham 2B

S Beltran RF

R Konerko 1B

L Dunn DH

R Rios CF

R Ramirez SS

L AJ C

R Morel 3B

win.

I think the Rays would have to at least entertain that first deal. If I were them I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't know if Kenny would offer that much. I think the prospect coming back would have to be pretty good, that's for sure.

The Soria deal would scare me. If we deal prospects for him then Mitchell is in that one and there's more to go along with it. Plus he's making money. I'd rather see us go after the type of reliever we could pull in cheaper.

Mentioning the Mets, maybe we could work something out where we'd send Teahen and someone NOT named Mitchell (i.e. a couple useful arms or something) for KRod and cash. Or, maybe we could do Pierre + Teahen + prospects for KRod and send enough of the Dodgers cash to make it an even trade at $11.5M. KRod's 2012 buyout is $3.5M and Teahen is making $5.5M that year, so that's just like us sending them a year of Teahen for $2M.

Beltran would be great and they're going to have to eat cash to deal him, but the best I think we could do is like the above, send Teahen + Pierre + prospects for Beltran and cash, and eat some of Teahen's contract in 2012. He just makes too much money.

Andrew Miller has lots of suitors and probably is going to get paid. Let's just bring in some cheap arms to challenge Leesman. I think we should try to stretch the few remaining amounts of cash we have to cover up holes with proven players.