Multiple Sources: Sox actively shopping Quentin

SoxFan1

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
What do you expect KW to say, "We are desperate to unload Quentin and are currently initiating lots of trade talk"?

No, but to say what he is saying probably means Cowley was full of it. KW is not going to shop Quentin around to teams and then have teams read he isn't shopping him around. It kind of makes the effectiveness of stretching the truth to benefit, meaningless.

Joe is wrong yet again. Just like the Konerko ship sailing. Just like AJ to Toronto. Just like Paulie to Texas or the Cubs. He's had a bad week. The Sun Times wasted money sending him to the Winter Meetings. He probably forgot to pick up some of Oney's dry cleaning, so Oney is cutting him off for a while.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cowley:

"Great reporting by the Trib, because I thought KW would come out and say, "Yes, I am trying to trade Quentin.''

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/13649903246905344

"Richard Justice also reported the Sox are looking to trade Quentin on MLB Network late last night. Where there's smoke, there's Morpheus ..."

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/13650465476575232

"Didn't KW also call the Sun-Times Ozzie-to-Florida trade rumors "False?'' He is protecting the shield ... that's his job."

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/13650824991342594

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
Cowley:

"Great reporting by the Trib, because I thought KW would come out and say, "Yes, I am trying to trade Quentin.''

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/13649903246905344

"Richard Justice also reported the Sox are looking to trade Quentin on MLB Network late last night. Where there's smoke, there's Morpheus ..."

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/13650465476575232

"Didn't KW also call the Sun-Times Ozzie-to-Florida trade rumors "False?'' He is protecting the shield ... that's his job."

http://twitter.com/#!/cst_sox/status/13650824991342594

He's posting like an exposed desperate fraud.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
The original rumor doesn't say they were looking to trade Quentin for relief pitching. It says for "a package that includes at least 1 reliever." That's a very different wording.
From Dave van Dyck at the Tribune:

"Absolutely incorrect," Williams said of recurring rumors. "It's been written that we're shopping Carlos Quentin. That's a lie.

"Three teams asked about him (at the winter meetings) and I have not had one single conversation with anyone since. We'll add to our relief pitching without (trading) him."

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
I'm no Joe Cowley apologist, but he makes solid points. His coverage of the team, as well as the media that follows the team is entertaining.

You also forget the original Sun Times trade report was Ozzie for Mike Stanton. Cowley was on his high horse slamming the Tribune as the Sun Times (not Cowley) broke the story. Starting tweeting about the Little Dictator at the Tribune. As it turns out, Mike Stanton was never mentioned. Timeline from MLBTRADERUMORS:

4:47pm: Williams told MLB.com's Scott Merkin that the Sun-Times report is “false,” but declined to go into further detail because of rules forbidding executives from speaking about other teams’ players. "That's tampering," Williams said. "All I can say is the report isn't completely accurate." Merkin hears that the White Sox demanded compensation from the Marlins when they wanted to talk to Guillen.

9:56am: The Marlins did not discuss an Ozzie-Stanton trade with the White Sox, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post (Twitter link). The White Sox may have discussed the possibility internally, but it seems to have been wishful thinking on Chicago’s part. As the response to our poll shows, Stanton is far more desirable.

4:56am: When Ozzie Guillen was at odds with the Chicago front office earlier this year, there was discussion of a deal that would have sent the White Sox manager to Florida for 20-year-old slugger Mike Stanton, according to Chris De Luca of the Chicago Sun-Times. De Luca reports that Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was intent on making Guillen the Marlins’ next manager until Guillen met with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and agreed to return in 2011.

Guillen says he never spoke to the Marlins about managing the team, but he confirmed to the Sun-Times that the White Sox granted the Marlins permission to talk to him. White Sox GM Kenny Williams repeated that he is on good terms with Guillen and insisted his manager is staying put.

It also is interesting he used Richard Justice as "another" source. It was probably HIS source. Hot Stove was on at 5 pm yesterday, about the same time Cowley tweeted his Quentin being shopped rumor.

The guy is a joke.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
I'm of the opinion that, in modern times, any beat writer who only posts information that turns out to be correct, isn't working very hard.

A lot of talk happens and rumors are out there that are true and aren't true. Cowley holds everyone else up to a 100% accuracy rate. He should live it as well. He's been about as wrong as you can be this entire offseason. Any idiot with a computer could have posted what he's posted this offseason. There really is no inside knowledge coming out of anything he has written.

I'm guessing KW is going to try to engineer a move to trade Teahen in the same way he did Linebrink, eat some salary but save a few million... then trade prospects to get one high end reliever. That would leave just one pen slot open (assuming that its the traded player plus Thornton, Sale, Santos, Pena and Infante), for a long man, and they can simply use one of their AAA starters that aren't really major league starting material for that mop-up duty.

If he can't move Teahen, he'll still probably trade prospects for a reliever, but he won't be able to get one with as high a salary.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
I'm of the opinion that, in modern times, any beat writer who only posts information that turns out to be correct, isn't working very hard.

I agree with DA. Cowley rips people to shreds when they turn out to be wrong, and then acts like "hey, we arent always given correct info all the time" when he turns out to be wrong. If he wasnt such a douche to others when their opinions differ from his, he probably wouldnt get so much s*** on this site

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
I'm guessing KW is going to try to engineer a move to trade Teahen in the same way he did Linebrink, eat some salary but save a few million... then trade prospects to get one high end reliever. That would leave just one pen slot open (assuming that its the traded player plus Thornton, Sale, Santos, Pena and Infante), for a long man, and they can simply use one of their AAA starters that aren't really major league starting material for that mop-up duty.

If he can't move Teahen, he'll still probably trade prospects for a reliever, but he won't be able to get one with as high a salary.

I would agree Teahan is on tghe block before I would think Quentin is

I just heard Rick Hahn on with Rongey. He mentioned they are tapped out on salary, and a trade is possible if they are going to beef up the bullpen. Obviously he didn't mention anyone by name, but reading between the lines, I think Quentin is a goner if they can find a trade partner.