Multiple Sources: Sox actively shopping Quentin

SoxFan1

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
It shortens the bat and the area that you can hit with.

You can count on one hand the guys who've choked up in the last 10 years.

If guys like Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn and Ted Williams didn't do it, then I fail to see the overall value.

Well, I think it might have value for people who can't do the longball thing, but the trend over the last 10 years has been "long ball pays" so there probably aren't a lot of guys willing to work on it. Pierre's a candidate, though. The reason I brought up Polanco earlier in the thread is that he's next to impossible to strike out, and thus pretty valuable, and part of that ability may be his superior bat control due to choking up.

Wait it out for bullpen...

like all things in this offseason, bullpen FA has had early stages of ridiculous contracts *cough Benoit, but now you're starting to see the market mellow out a bit.

And most of the big bullpen FAs havent even signed yet; Soriano, Fuentes, Balfour, etc.

There's plenty of help left out there. LH: Byrdak, Tankersly, Beimel, Mahay. RH: Okajima Delcarmen

Once these teams sober up financially, the market will dry up and you're bound to find a bargain or two.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
I don't get the Kerry Wood love from some around here. He has a good couple months in New York and all of a sudden he's worth a ton of money. Forget the last two years in Cleveland where he was pretty damn bad.

I think the Kerry Wood love comes from the fact that people are thinking he'd cost about as much as Putz this year.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
Again I ask.... what would a reasonable expectation for a package coming back for Quentin???

I'd be down with a young, defending outfielder who still has something to prove and a veteran reliever of either handedness, plus a 'spect

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
I'd be down with a young, defending outfielder who still has something to prove and a veteran reliever of either handedness, plus a 'spect

...Scott Podsednik, Luis Vizcaino, and Travis Hinton.

oh wait. Carlos QUENTIN

joking aside I think Quentin stays. You don't move what could be an integral part of a potent lineup for bullpen help.

But, I guess it's all predicated on how well they like Andruw Jones in RF.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)

oh wait. Carlos QUENTIN

joking aside I think Quentin stays. You don't move what could be an integral part of a potent lineup for bullpen help.

Counting on Andruw Jones to be your everyday or close to everyday RF is irresponsible on so many levels.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
Counting on Andruw Jones to be your everyday or close to everyday RF is irresponsible on so many levels.

I agree, but don't you think that's a deciding factor if they move Quentin? I don't think they'd want to make a supplemental trade to fill RF.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 12:23 AM)

oh wait. Carlos QUENTIN

Hahaha yeah I guess that's why the CLee comparisons were drawn.

Personally, I'd be fine keeping him despite the poor RF defense. I think one of these years he will regain truly dominant form. I just hope it's with us.

If it were the right outfielder in the CLee-like deal, I'd probably pull the trigger, though.

Yeah, can't depend on Andruw, and I wouldn't like risking the attempt.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)

There are worse options. I don't really understand the Andruw hate. Not the best player in the world, but in his last 2 seasons, in 559 AB he's hit 36 HR, 91 RBI, 90 BB, 145 K, OPS>.800. I would be very interested in seeing someone give him a starting role or at least a majority role and see what he does. His production has pretty much mirrored (or bettered) Quentin's the last 2 seasons, with better defense. I do not love Andruw Jones, nor do I advocate given him the starting gig, but I wouldn't be too mad to see him in RF if a Quentin trade gave up some much need SP and RP depth.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 12, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)
There are worse options. I don't really understand the Andruw hate. Not the best player in the world, but in his last 2 seasons, in 559 AB he's hit 36 HR, 91 RBI, 90 BB, 145 K, OPS>.800. I would be very interested in seeing someone give him a starting role or at least a majority role and see what he does. His production has pretty much mirrored (or bettered) Quentin's the last 2 seasons, with better defense. I do not love Andruw Jones, nor do I advocate given him the starting gig, but I wouldn't be too mad to see him in RF if a Quentin trade gave up some much need SP and RP depth.

To me, it's about the injury risk, K/bad AB rate, and potential price tag of ~4M that some have been throwing out there. $4M's not bad for that type of production, but again, the injury risk makes me want to say nay.

I wouldn't actually hate the move or anything, you could certainly do worse, but i'd rather flip the coin on CQ.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:46 PM)

It's not hate. It's just recognizing the fact that in this point of his career that he's no longer an everyday option and hasn't been for three years.

There's no question if you have to choose Andruw Jones at $3-4 million or Quentin at $5.5 or whatever he ends up with in arbitration that Carlos has 5X the upside....both are/were incredibly streaky, but I think Quentin can have a breakout year with more focus/pressure on Konerko and Dunn. I hope Beckham can get off to a hot start as well.

Hopefully the offense takes off like the first half of 2006 and Morel can be this coming year's version of Brian Anderson, albeit with a 675-700 OPS instead of horrendously bad.

It's pleasant to imagine a future White Sox team with Mitchell in LF, Viciedo in RF, Morel at 3B, Beckham at 2B and Flowers at C....we need to have some of those young players break through and become regular contributors like the Twins always seem to have (Valencia and Duensing last year) in order to keep the payroll at no more than $125 million.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 11:02 PM)
There's no question if you have to choose Andruw Jones at $3-4 million or Quentin at $5.5 or whatever he ends up with in arbitration that Carlos has 5X the upside....both are/were incredibly streaky, but I think Quentin can have a breakout year with more focus/pressure on Konerko and Dunn. I hope Beckham can get off to a hot start as well.

Hopefully the offense takes off like the first half of 2006 and Morel can be this coming year's version of Brian Anderson, albeit with a 675-700 OPS instead of horrendously bad.

It's pleasant to imagine a future White Sox team with Mitchell in LF, Viciedo in RF, Morel at 3B, Beckham at 2B and Flowers at C....we need to have some of those young players break through and become regular contributors like the Twins always seem to have (Valencia and Duensing last year) in order to keep the payroll at no more than $125 million.

Ill bet you $20 Valencia comes way back down to earth this year. Probably like a .270/.330 guy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
It's not hate. It's just recognizing the fact that in this point of his career that he's no longer an everyday option and hasn't been for three years.

I guess I didn't see that fact. I thought Andruw looked pretty good last season. Much better than the couple years prior. He was in better shape, more productive, and moved a lot better. Just my opinion, however.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
I guess I didn't see that fact. I thought Andruw looked pretty good last season. Much better than the couple years prior. He was in better shape, more productive, and moved a lot better. Just my opinion, however.

I don't think there's any question that Andruw Jones is a quality player, it's simply the fact that he breaks down so quickly at this point. For every 2 games he starts, he's on the shelf for 1 game, and if you try and ride him as the every day starter, it's going to take a toll on his ability to perform and you won't get anything out of him.

I want Andruw Jones back if he can be signed to a reasonable deal because he really is a great player, but you can't break the bank to bring him in and you can't count on him to play for an extended period of time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
I don't think there's any question that Andruw Jones is a quality player, it's simply the fact that he breaks down so quickly at this point. For every 2 games he starts, he's on the shelf for 1 game, and if you try and ride him as the every day starter, it's going to take a toll on his ability to perform and you won't get anything out of him.

I want Andruw Jones back if he can be signed to a reasonable deal because he really is a great player, but you can't break the bank to bring him in and you can't count on him to play for an extended period of time.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying 600 AB for him. I think in the range of 400-425 (playing 3-4 times a week) with Viciedo getting the rest (+ more AB at 1B/3B/LF) would be a perfectly productive solution in RF. I certainly wouldn't pass on a nice Quentin trade because of it. I think KW might be thinking along the same lines but with Teahen playing a more prominent role (hopefully not though).