Buehrle gets the save

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)
Great fact checking on Buehrle's name (spelling wise in the text) and the random alcohol shots during the story. And don't even get me started how Buehrle even became involved. Great job Mark, but that was an awful journalistic story.

I take it you left that comment on the story? lol.

QUOTE (since56 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
$2400 on a dog? How many families could use that for child care especially at Christmas. Priorities? Ok animal lovers initiate attack.

Considering what it'd cost to get an arrow out of an uninsured human, along with the rest of the care that would be involved, it looks pretty cheap.

That said, dogs become part of the family. My dog has diabetes and when the vet told us, we didn't even think about not giving him the best care possible.

Sure, Jamie Buehrle's in a better position than all (or most) of us to shell at $2400 to save a dying animal.

I had a black Labrador retriever that swallowed a rock and Max was going to die because it got stuck in his stomach/intestines and he started eating grass and throwing up and luckily I caught it 2-3 days in time....I think that surgery was well over $1000 and I have never regretted it.

Yes, you can "deworm" an entire province in Haiti for less, it's just hard to put any type of price tag on saving a loved family pet, dog, cat...whatever. You don't have to be hit over the head by the weepy sentimentalism of Marley & Me to understand.

QUOTE (since56 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
$2400 on a dog? How many families could use that for child care especially at Christmas. Priorities? Ok animal lovers initiate attack.

how do you know that the Buehrles don't donate to a food bank or soup kitchen? Don't complain about their priorities until you know what they are

QUOTE (since56 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)

So every time a dog is shot or anything else bad happens to an animal, we should look at the price tag to fix the problem and say, "I will donate that much money to a family in need instead and let this animal die."?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
I take it you left that comment on the story? lol.

Yeah, I did. Ha.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
I'm guessing you have never had a dog. Mine, like I'm sure is the same as most, is part of my family.

Same here. I could not imagine my life without my dogs. I would run into a burning building to try and save them.

Wow, that is one of the worst-written articles I have ever read.

Good for you, though, Ms. Buehrle! There are some sick f***s in this world (knowing nothing of the situation, I still feel relatively confident saying the dog was shot on purpose), and I don't mind you cleaning up after their messes. Seriously, who shoots a dog? What a f***er. I wish they had been caught.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Could have been an accident. This might have been prevented if the original owner didn't leave the dog go astray.

Could be. An arrow straight through the abdomen just screams "sick freak" to me, though. Maybe if it was a graze, or at some odd angle or something...plus, if you're a decent human being and you accidentally shoot a dog through the abdomen, don't you do something about it? He probably ran, but I'd go after him.

Anyway, speculation. Good on ya, Buehrles!