Matt Guerrier and Jesse Crain

joeynach

According to the link below both Crain and Guerrier, the two best relievers left on the open market, maybe not be looking to ink a deal similar to Benoit's with Detroit (3 years, 16.5M). These are probably the best two relievers left on the market so I would be shocked if KW didnt have any interest. Either one of these guys could definatly fill the void left by the loss of Putz and Jenks.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/guer...noit-money.html

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 06:52 PM)
According to the link below both Crain and Guerrier, the two best relievers left on the open market, maybe not be looking to ink a deal similar to Benoit's with Detroit (3 years, 16.5M). These are probably the best two relievers left on the market so I would be shocked if KW didnt have any interest. Either one of these guys could definatly fill the void left by the loss of Putz and Jenks.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/guer...noit-money.html

Either one would be a great acquisition. Let's hope we make a run at this, it would be great if we could pull off another FA acquisition.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
Crain had a good year in 2010 but when I was in Minneapolis, Twins fans held him in the same regard Scott Linebrink was held during his time in Chicago.

Funny you say that, because I was going to mention how his fastball reminds me of Linebrink's. It's fast, but it's straight as an arrow, and left up in the zone far too often. What separates him from Linebrink is he has enough control of his offspeed stuff to keep guys from sitting fastball.

Still, I don't particularly like Crain or Guerrier.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
I would assume anywhere between $3-5 mill a year, both probably over 2 years (though I could see Guerrier getting 3, though I think the 3rd year would be a mistake).

If that was the case I cant see why we wouldnt make a play at one of them. Whats $3M-4M to solidy a chance to win 90+ games when ur already spending $120M.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
I would assume anywhere between $3-5 mill a year, both probably over 2 years (though I could see Guerrier getting 3, though I think the 3rd year would be a mistake).

$3-$5 million for either of those guys seems pricey. They have both put up good numbers recently, but neither has the lights-out stuff that would make me feel confident in giving them that much money. I'd be worried one of them could easily have a bad year with the way most middle relievers performance varies year by year.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 07:47 PM)
Well, we once had Guerrier. Wonder what his relationship is with the Sox after he was traded that one time.

Considering he never played in the majors with the Sox, I'm sure he wouldn't care. In fact, the trade may have helped him get to the majors quicker.

With the exception of '08, it seems like Guerrier has been consistently above average his whole career. Sounds like a hell of a guy to bring in. I also don't understand why some of these guys are getting the big money in free agency and this guy isn't getting those kinds of offers.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
Speaking of former Twins relievers, what about Fuentes for a third (or second if Sale is a starter) lefty in the bullpen?

If this price is right im sure its possible. Remember most of the moves the sox make after the new year are made with falling prices in mind.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:30 AM)
Speaking of former Twins relievers, what about Fuentes for a third (or second if Sale is a starter) lefty in the bullpen?

I think Fuentes is going to cost quite a bit still too, as someone will pay him to be their primary left handed reliever. I don't think the Sox should show interest because he's not going to get enough burn to be worth the contract.

No to Guerrier. His FIP is pretty high since he doesn't really K that many and he always walks his fair share. He is a good GB pitcher though. However, as a bullpen arm, you'd want somebody who misses bats.

Crain would be the better, cheaper option IMO.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 02:06 AM)
No to Guerrier. His FIP is pretty high since he doesn't really K that many and he always walks his fair share. He is a good GB pitcher though. However, as a bullpen arm, you'd want somebody who misses bats.

Crain would be the better, cheaper option IMO.

Fine by me. It would be nice for Kenny to make a good multi-year relief signing, he has had some poor signings in recent memory. Getting Crain for something like 2 year 7M-8M would look really good for someone that gave Dotel 2/12 and Linebrink 4/20.

2/$9 seems about right for Jesse Crain. I don't think he good enough that the Sox need to spend that money for him. I still think the Sox can go into the season with the current relievers and fill in the rest through the minors and minor league free agents, and then if and when the time comes that they need a big change, they can make that change by trading someone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
Crain had a good year in 2010 but when I was in Minneapolis, Twins fans held him in the same regard Scott Linebrink was held during his time in Chicago.

Fans often don't realize the relative success of some of their relievers. They expect them all to be lights out all the time, but it just isn't realistic.