Matt Guerrier and Jesse Crain

joeynach

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can cross Guerrier off the list. He's going to LA.

This, to me, is just another reason why we should look to the Dodgers for relief help. They were already loaded with high-upside, young RHR's (some in the majors, some in the high minors), and with Padilla and Guerrier signing on, they can afford to use them as trade bait.

Edited by Pale Sox

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Jeez. At $4 million per year. Putz's contract looks better and better.

Honestly with Putz and Gueirrer getting $4M a year I find it shocking the sox had no interest, or at least no reported interest in either, especially at that price. If the sox need pen help, and they do, what are the waiting for. Again dont let 4M get in the way of putting together a solid contender.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
Honestly with Putz and Gueirrer getting $4M a year I find it shocking the sox had no interest, or at least no reported interest in either, especially at that price. If the sox need pen help, and they do, what are the waiting for. Again dont let 4M get in the way of putting together a solid contender.

I realize a lot of times GM's go around spreading bulls*** just to take away the attention from what they are doing, but Kenny already said they have NO money to spend.

Ever think that, well, maybe it's true and they need to make a trade to be able to acquire those relievers?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
I realize a lot of times GM's go around spreading bulls*** just to take away the attention from what they are doing, but Kenny already said they have NO money to spend.

Ever think that, well, maybe it's true and they need to make a trade to be able to acquire those relievers?

So then what the hell does "All In" mean? If you're going for it all this year, as their marketing campaign suggests, why would you let $4M prevent you from having a serviceable bullpen?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)

At this point you'd have to think he's looking for nothing but bargain bin relievers.

EDIT: 1000th post, only took 6 and a half years!

Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
So then what the hell does "All In" mean? If you're going for it all this year, as their marketing campaign suggests, why would you let $4M prevent you from having a serviceable bullpen?

Maybe they're waiting on people to start buying season tickets hoping this will free up some salary. Heck if I know, and Putz/Guerrier aside, Rich Harden just signed a contract with the A's for 1.5M. Now I'm not his biggest fan but Sox could've had him, plug him in as a 5th starter if Peavy isn't ready and if Peavy is ready then you make him a reliever on a incentive driven deal just like the A's did.

Meanwhile.. Kenny is waiting and names are slowly coming off the market.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
At this point you'd have to think he's looking for nothing but bargain bin relievers.

EDIT: 1000th post, only took 6 and a half years!

Congrats.

Yup, unless we wanna offer Trevor Hoffman the league minimum and hope he bites. /half-green

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
This is the price we are paying for signing PK instead of a lesser option such as Lee.

Unless KW can move some salary, we're not going to be signing any $4 million relievers.

This, all in meant an increase in payroll, but doesn't mean KW can sign anything he wants. He was probably restricted at 115-120MM for the full season, and he took advantage of that but JR wanted his guy back so now he's stuck waiting for bargains for the bullpen.

Then again, these 3 yr deals will come back to haunt most of these teams.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)

Williams and company haven't finished making moves yet, and it's entirely possible that they didn't like Matt Guerrier.

Relievers' performances from year to year fluctuate greatly, and there will be years that they are simply not worth that much money. Giving $4 million to Matt Guerrier over 3 years could have been a huge mistake and, even further, could have crippled what the White Sox can do on the open market between now and July 31st.

It's certainly possible that Williams won't add a reliever - I didn't think there was any way he'd go into next year with Mark Kotsay DHing, but woe is me. However, at this point in time, I don't think that we should be worrying about that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Why not kick the tires on a couple low risk high reward guys like Bonderman/Escobar/Duchscherer/Fuentes and see what happens?

I would only give Bonderman less than a million at this point, his velocity has disappeared.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Why not kick the tires on a couple low risk high reward guys like Bonderman/Escobar/Duchscherer/Fuentes and see what happens?

I am all for this, 100%. As several people have pointed out and demonstrated, there is no guarantee even when signing a big name FA reliever that you will get a good year out of them- it's always a year to year thing and we should just get a few guys who have some MLB experience with potential and hope to catch lightning in a bottle

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
I actually thought about him, but we're kinda money in terms of lefties, and he's the very definition of LOOGY.

You're right.

Meanwhile.. Brian Anderson, Andy Sisco, Neal Cotts and Gustavo Molina all one-time White Sox among Yankees' non-roster invitees to 2011 ST

Per Scott Merkin