Matt Guerrier and Jesse Crain

joeynach

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
The downside to Balfour is he'll cost us our 2nd rounder.

Which will actually bring down his price compared to the rest of the league, and really, it might re-allocate some funds that the Sox were planning to use early on towards the later portion of the draft where they might be able to sign some guys who fall for whatever reason.

I think Balfour is a guy the Sox should definitely look at...maybe something like 2 years, $8 mill with an option for the 3rd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
Which will actually bring down his price compared to the rest of the league, and really, it might re-allocate some funds that the Sox were planning to use early on towards the later portion of the draft where they might be able to sign some guys who fall for whatever reason.

I think Balfour is a guy the Sox should definitely look at...maybe something like 2 years, $8 mill with an option for the 3rd.

This I can agree with...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
This is the price we are paying for signing PK instead of a lesser option such as Lee.

Unless KW can move some salary, we're not going to be signing any $4 million relievers.

I severely doubt that KW and JR would allow the singing of PK to criple this teams ability to close and get outs late in games. It makes zero sense to "GO ALL IN" with the lineup and knowing leave an achillies heel wide open with that of the bullpen. I would have to assume KW has some sort of personnel in mind for filling the holes in the pen. Im just shocked that so far those haven't included the likes of Putz, Guerrier, Downs, etc becuase at the end of the day there are only a limited number of reliable relievers and this point they can all be had for well less than what KW has signed relievers for in the past (Dotel 2/12, Linebrink 4/20).

Edited by joeynach

What has Balfour done that makes him a douchebag? Yelling at Orlando Cabrera? If there is something, I hope someone else points it out.

I'm also not worried about Balfour's FB%. 45.1% isn't bad, especially with a career 10.4% IFFB. I'm more concerned with his line drive rate of about 20% the past 3 years, but when he strikes out quite a bit as he does, he can get away with that so long as he isn't walking anybody.

Cowley's last 3 tweets:

Market on Q is not to KW's liking .... but what's that I smell in the kitchen? Smells like Crain cooking.

Forget spending a dollar with only 50 cents ... KW might be up to at least a $1.50 with only 50 cents after this one.

Repeat after me Sox fans - "We love you Jerry.''

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
What has Balfour done that makes him a douchebag? Yelling at Orlando Cabrera? If there is something, I hope someone else points it out.

I'm also not worried about Balfour's FB%. 45.1% isn't bad, especially with a career 10.4% IFFB. I'm more concerned with his line drive rate of about 20% the past 3 years, but when he strikes out quite a bit as he does, he can get away with that so long as he isn't walking anybody.

I am not a fan of players who yell and scream and showboat.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
Other than Soriano, and that's obviously not happening, I don't like or am at the very least skeptical about every reliever still on the market. I really wish our system was capable of producing a damn arm or two.

Well, it produced Santos and Sale last year...and Hudson for that matter.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
If only Cowley was ever right, but I like the sound of those tweets.

i would like to get crain but not for 3 yrs, hes been kind of inconsistent too, like in 09. but i guess a 3.50ish era from ur 6th inning (or so)guy wouldnt be that bad

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
Well, it produced Santos and Sale last year...and Hudson for that matter.

Santos is not a product of the White Sox system. And let's say he was...that's it? In 10 years you can't come up with 1-2 relievers from your own system? Sale as a first round pick would be a waste unless he became a dominant closer. Hudson? Who cares. He's not here anymore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
You must really hate Pierzynski then.

I don't really recall seeing him showboating or yelling. And I don't mean yelling at the ump or getting into an argument, I mean yelling in joy or rubbing it in someones face that you hit a HR or you struck someone out.

I was not a fan of Bobby's fist pump. While it was cool, it was kind of douchey too.