White Sox sign Jesse Crain

SoxFan1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Sox have been after him. Are we positive he didn't misread hear?

EDIT: Saw Cowley tweet that Crain and Sox were brewing, so probably fact.

Not sure how to react. He had a great year last year, but has been pretty inconsistent and throws a very straight fastball.

Edited by maggsmaggs

On second thought, one more lefty would be nice, especially if they want to use Sale as a starter early on (which appears to be a real possibility). But seriously, Thornton, Santos, Crain, Pena, Infante, and then maybe Sale too...that's the makeup of a good bullpen. I think Brian Bruney has a chance to make it as the 7th reliever too.

KW done good.

QUOTE (daggins @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Linebrink replacement. I think its an upgrade and will probably be for less money per annum. I hate these longterm deals for relievers but not much you can do in this market. Uncle Jerry is digging deep this year.

I think he's more Putz replacement with Santos/Infante/Carter/Nunez taking care of Linebrink's role.

Nonetheless what an amazing offseason.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
Eh, it's really hard to get excited about the signing of a middle reliever especially when we gave him 3 years, these contracts have like a 90% failure rate. But hey, at least we're trying. Gotta love that.

This is how I feel as well. Hopefully, he works out, but don't be surprised if this goes bad.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
Eh, it's really hard to get excited about the signing of a middle reliever especially when we gave him 3 years, these contracts have like a 90% failure rate. But hey, at least we're trying. Gotta love that.

I'm not going to worry about it at this point...if we're going to put this team together this year, we may as well take a shot at putting it all together right now and worry about these other contracts down the line.

I guess if you're comparing Crain to Rauch or Guerrier, he's the highest risk, but also has the most upside.

He was pretty bad (almost to Linebrink proportions in 08/09) though in the past, spotty/erratic is how I would describe it. I don't think any Twins fans are upset about losing any of those three, but Crain was definitely the best of the group last year.

Some even thought he pitched well enough to be a closer for one of the bottom 5-10 teams in MLB coming into this offseason.

Let's hope for once we get a former Twin who can make his former team regret their decision to let him go.