White Sox sign Jesse Crain

SoxFan1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
Crain carried that bullpen after the ASB last year, and easily was one of their most important players. He had some filthy stuff during that span, as he made our hitters look foolish.

Crain was unreal the 2nd half of last season. He was practically un-hittable. Slider from hell.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 07:58 PM)
This is what I get for stopping in the middle of studying to check Twitter. I have a final in 15 minutes, and I've only studied for about 20 minutes so far....

I checked soxtalk while studying for a satanic statistics test RIGHT AFTER DUNN WAS SIGNED. I know how you feel.

Let's all hope this works out well. I'd hate if Crain turned out to be Linebrink 2.0.

But how cool would it be if he was lights out - ESPECIALLY against the twins?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
Salary dump trade has to be coming next. I bet its soon.

hopefully it will be a benificial trade rather than just pure salary dump although merkin said this so idk

Apparently Kenny Williams wasn't bluffing with the following weekend comments to MLB.com: "I’m encouraged by the excitement from our fans ..

29 minutes ago via web

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
Why? Just win the division and the ballpark fills up enough to pay for this.

Because they are above the number they want to be at and season ticket renewals were s*** this year. If a trade doesnt come soon I would be extremely surprised.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
Eh, it's really hard to get excited about the signing of a middle reliever especially when we gave him 3 years, these contracts have like a 90% failure rate. But hey, at least we're trying. Gotta love that.

You should be glad they're trying to address a need. You can't criticize a GM for doing everything they can to try and get some certainty (even if it fails). It may work, it may not, but effort is all you can ask for.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
3 year deal for a middle reliever that has been "meh" except for last season? Whatever, we're all-in, but I'm very interested to know what the $$ amount is.

I agree. Jesse Crain was a whipping boy in Minneapolis most of his career. He'll probably be the same in Chicago. He seems to alternate horrible and decent years, and horrible is up. This was one guy I was hoping KW stayed away from. But if he pitches like he did in 2010, he'll be a great addition.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)
You should be glad they're trying to address a need. You can't criticize a GM for doing everything they can to try and get some certainty (even if it fails). It may work, it may not, but effort is all you can ask for.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said at the end. Good on Kenny for trying to improve the team, hopefully it works out. I'm just not going to get my hopes up since I know that these types of deals rarely work out, at least in recent years. You really don't know what you're going to get from a middle reliever from year to year, though it's definitely nice when they have good stuff like Crain.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)
Because they are above the number they want to be at and season ticket renewals were s*** this year. If a trade doesnt come soon I would be extremely surprised.

KW found a taker for Teahen? Like Linebrink it would have to be with the Sox sending cash. I bet Teahen would help an NL team with his versatility.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 08:45 PM)

Effort is for kids. Results is what matters in the real world. If you owned a company had 2 salesman and one worked his ass off was a great guy etc.but couldn't sell a thing and another was a total ass, put in 5 hours a week but sold a ton, and one of them had to go, which one is it going to be? There isn't a GM in the game that doesn't put in the effort.

Edited by Dick Allen