White Sox sign Jesse Crain

SoxFan1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Putz was on a 1-year deal last year . . . I'm willing to say Crain will not put up a year as good as Putz did in any of the three years of this deal.

Because Putz was coming off of an injury plagued year and had bone spurs removed from his elbow. He signed a 1-year "prove it" type contract to cash in, and lo and behold he got a 2 year deal this year with an option for a 3rd that is more expensive per year than the deal the Sox just gave Crain.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
One thing that I like about it, is that he not going to be with Minny. I'm not sure what type of stats our line up had against him, but the times that I saw him, we didn't do very well at all. I kind of remember him making us look silly at the plate.

He started throwing his slider more frequently and it worked.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Because Putz was coming off of an injury plagued year and had bone spurs removed from his elbow. He signed a 1-year "prove it" type contract to cash in, and lo and behold he got a 2 year deal this year with an option for a 3rd that is more expensive per year than the deal the Sox just gave Crain.

I don't give a damn what Putz signed for this offseason.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
One thing that I like about it, is that he not going to be with Minny. I'm not sure what type of stats our line up had against him, but the times that I saw him, we didn't do very well at all. I kind of remember him making us look silly at the plate.

That is a good thing. I believe his career ERA against the Sox is 1.45, but what does that make his ERA against everyone else?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
I don't give a damn what Putz signed for this offseason.

Im guessing you want another Putz like reliever coming in, but the problem is that there really isn't anyobdy on the market like that besides maybe Jenks, and he isn't coming back here. Even then, Jenks will probably get a 2 or 3 yr deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)

Yes, but barely. He basically got a $10 million 2 year contract with a team option to make it a $15 million over 3 years contract. I don't think money was the reason Putz isn't a White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
Its performance related. All GMs try. Just to say this is great even if it doesn't work out because KW needs a reliever and Crain was a very good reliever in 2010 is silly. There are a lot of GMs who need relievers that did not offer Crain what KW did. Time will tell who is correct. Duane Schaffer tried real hard drafting guys. They all tried really hard. They didn't perform Duane Schaffer is out of a job. KW didn't can him because he didn't try hard. He canned him because he picked the wrong players. If Crain doesn't perform and cost the Sox 10 times what Lance Broadway cost the Sox, why shouldn't KW's neck be on the line?

KW's effort really doesn't matter too much to me. I know he's going to give his total effort, but if the choice was to have him work 18 hour days study scouting reports and tape and sign busts, or be out picking up women every night, spending 10 minutes a day at his job but making great trades and free agent signings in retrospect, I'll take the latter.

It's still not the same thing. Not even close. As a GM, you're performance is soley based on what's available to you and what you have to offer/spend. If you make the effort to get the best free agents available and spend the money, there's no reason for fans to complain about that. Especially when fans will complain when you DON'T spend money and DON'T effor to make the big moves. Then, after you acquire those players, you're still dependant on them to perform to their capbilities.

You're missing the point anyway when I use the word "effort". I'm not talking about how many hours per day he works, I'm talking about him making the decision to land the aboslute best available and directing all the resources toward doing that.

Yes, I think there should be plenty of cushion given to the GM that operates the way he does, and in particular this offseason. Because regardless of the outcome, there is only so much over which he has absolute control. The actual performance of Dunn, PK, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Rios, Crain, Thornton, etc. is not really in his control.

What I'm saying is, if a GM puts together a good team on paper, that's all that can be realistically asked of him.