Isn't it crazy....

ChiliIrishHammock24

Isn't it crazy that about 6 months ago we were looking to tear this team down, sell everyone, and start over with a ton of prospects? Then all the sudden the team goes on an insane run, acquires Manny Ramirez, and makes a push for the playoffs. The offseason comes, and all the sudden we start piling on the free agents, and if we can add 1 more quality bullpen arm, the Sox could be a top 5 team in baseball.

Isn't it crazy?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Also, don't forget that Cowley said 2011 could be "The Kids Can Play II" about a month and a half ago.

That was true. There were two offseason plans presented to ownership. One was to see how many parts they could dump, the other is what they're doing now.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
That was true. There were two offseason plans presented to ownership. One was to see how many parts they could dump, the other is what they're doing now.

I'm gonna go ahead and add that Cowley did call the Crain deal minutes before Gammons. #justsayin

I actually remember seeing the article on that. Chris, you are closer to the action than all of us though perhaps not close enough to know exactly, but I have to imagine that Williams' plan has gone pretty much according to plan at this point, wouldn't you agree?

If Mitchell wouldn't have gotten hurt, this might have been a little bit more realistic. That, and the disappointing seasons by Flowers and Danks really pushed any idea of going totally young out of the window.

I think the current struggles of the Cubs have something to do with it, too. It just didn't see like the right moment to "fold" when they were seemingly only 2-3 players away from having the best team on the South Side since 05/first half 06.

You can easily see where it would have gone...they would have probably held onto Floyd and Peavy (no choice but to rehab him, obviously) and jettisoned Danks and Buehrle. Viciedo would be at 1B or DH. They would have had a big decision to make with Ramirez...probably, they would have traded him at his highest value (because of his contract structure) instead of waiting 2-3 years on a competitive team.

You would have had Flowers, Viciedo, Beckham, Morel, Mitchell in LF, someone like Rasmus in CF (or the 2nd or 3rd best young CF we could get, with Rios gone as well)...theoretically Danks/Andruw Jones in RF (if he was affordable, if not, adios).

Then the rotation would have been Floyd (until he was traded at highest value), maybe Peavy, Sale and then a lot of young prospects that we got in return for Konerko's departure (draft picks), Edwin Jackson, Rios, Jon Danks, Quentin, Matt Thornton, Buehrle, Alexei Ramirez.

If you put the group of Rios, Danks, Jackson, Quentin, Thornton and Ramirez (along with Floyd at some point in 2011/12) on the open market and had pocked the money from Buehrle's departure to use signing draft picks that fell due to signability, it would be a pretty darned big haul in return.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:15 AM)
More than an hour before Gammons.

Joe pointed that out, but as Ranger posted a couple days ago, it really isn't about breaking stories with him. The guy is a goof. Oney threw him a bone. He covers his butt with his tweets. Just look at his tweets right before Konerko signed. Konerko is going to re-sign, what Jerry wants Jerry gets, Konerko's ship has sailed. Konerko to Texas, Konerko to the Cubs. No matter what happened he was covered. Also look back then and he tweeted the Sox couldn't afford Wood even if Konerko went elsewhare, then the Tribune were dufusses for think the Sox would offer Woold a contract, to maybe he was wrong. Now when Wood signs elsewhere he will tweet a told you so.

This is the best I've felt about this team in a while. The offense looks downright imposing, and the starting pitching could be quite scary...especially if Peavy comes back healthy. The bullpen is the only concern right now, and the Crain signing makes it a little less concerning. One more quality bullpen arm and this team should easily compete for the AL Central and even the AL.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:17 AM)
This is the best I've felt about this team in a while. The offense looks downright imposing, and the starting pitching could be quite scary...especially if Peavy comes back healthy. The bullpen is the only concern right now, and the Crain signing makes it a little less concerning. One more quality bullpen arm and this team should easily compete for the AL Central and even the AL.

Hell, even if they don't bring another arm in: Thornton, Sale, Santos, Crain, Infante, Pena is a (potentially) solid 6 man pen, with a couple guys who can go more than 1 inning (Sale, Pena).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
Hell, even if they don't bring another arm in: Thornton, Sale, Santos, Crain, Infante, Pena is a (potentially) solid 6 man pen, with a couple guys who can go more than 1 inning (Sale, Pena).

I hope...bullpens are nutty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:28 AM)

I agree completely. I was content with the 'pen as is before the Crain signing. Now with Crain in place, I think the potential for the 'pen to be well above average is there. I'd rather not dish out another multi-year deal to another reliever (Wood). Let's see if for once we can produce one (Infante, Carter, Bellamy). As for the premise of the thread, I've made it pretty well known that I wasn't satisfied with the direction the team looked to be headed in. And I'm still skeptical that will ever be able to go on a sustained run with our inability to produce from within. But as far as 2011 goes, we should be pretty damn good. And if we could get rid of JP, I'd give up booze forever.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
I agree completely. I was content with the 'pen as is before the Crain signing. Now with Crain in place, I think the potential for the 'pen to be well above average is there. I'd rather not dish out another multi-year deal to another reliever (Wood). Let's see if for once we can produce one (Infante, Carter, Bellamy). As for the premise of the thread, I've made it pretty well known that I wasn't satisfied with the direction the team looked to be headed in. And I'm still skeptical that will ever be able to go on a sustained run with our inability to produce from within. But as far as 2011 goes, we should be pretty damn good. And if we could get rid of JP, I'd give up booze forever.

Damn when did Jake Peavy piss in your cereal ? ;)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)

The one thing I'd really like to see is another obvious candidate for the LH reliever position if Thornty is genuinely going to be closing. It seems like there's a good shot Sale spends some time starting next year based on how people have talked, and even if he's in the pen, that gives only Sale as the situational lefty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:47 AM)
The one thing I'd really like to see is another obvious candidate for the LH reliever position if Thornty is genuinely going to be closing. It seems like there's a good shot Sale spends some time starting next year based on how people have talked, and even if he's in the pen, that gives only Sale as the situational lefty.

Yeah, what LH is available? I know Feliciano is. But that's probably another 3-year deal. There's Joe Beimel (however you spell it). Ron Mahay is old and sucks now. I just can't see another multi-year deal handed out to another reliever. It's gonna have to be a trade.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
Yeah, what LH is available? I know Feliciano is. But that's probably another 3-year deal. There's Joe Beimel (however you spell it). Ron Mahay is old and sucks now. I just can't see another multi-year deal handed out to another reliever. It's gonna have to be a trade.

There's still that Tim Byrdak whose name keeps cropping up here.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Also, don't forget that Cowley said 2011 could be "The Kids Can Play II" about a month and a half ago.

This board's obsession with Joe Cowley is getting old. Every thread has Joe Cowley talk.

Everyone, get over the fact that he ripped Soxtalk once!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
At this point it has way more to do with his being a second rate Jay Mariotti than anything else.

And if you'll remember...didn't pretty much every thread wind up deteriorating into Mariotti-ripping around 2006 or so? Same deal. Except now with Twitter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
At this point it has way more to do with his being a second rate Jay Mariotti than anything else.

He's not even close to what Jay Mariotti was... anyone who says that clearly forgot about Mariotti's daily column ripping anything Chicago every chance he got... not just the White Sox and Ozzie Guillen either. Mariotti called for the firings of people and was a complete blowhard. Cowley is harmelss, and I find him entertaining and funny... it's clear he just wants to report on the team he is following.

If it comes with a few wisecracks, I don't care, that makes it more readable and entertaining. Cowley is NOTHING like Jay Mariotti and doesn't spew the hate that he did. Anyone saying that has short term memory.

Edited by Steve9347

Ranger, are you hearing anything about how the Sox feel about the fan reaction to the moves? Meaning are they satisfied it's created enough interest to justify?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)

Not only that, but Heyman has the NYY keying in on LH pen guys, so they'll just basically outbid any team on the top guy.