Isn't it crazy....

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
He's not even close to what Jay Mariotti was... anyone who says that clearly forgot about Mariotti's daily column ripping anything Chicago every chance he got... not just the White Sox and Ozzie Guillen either. Mariotti called for the firings of people and was a complete blowhard. Cowley is harmelss, and I find him entertaining and funny... it's clear he just wants to report on the team he is following.

If it comes with a few wisecracks, I don't care, that makes it more readable and entertaining. Cowley is NOTHING like Jay Mariotti and doesn't spew the hate that he did. Anyone saying that has short term memory.

He follows the exact same pattern of making multiple contradictory arguments at once, insulting anyone who disagrees with him, and being a pretentious dick when he is "right". Just like Jay there is pretty much little to no substance, and all conjecture based on whatever point he wants to be "right" about. He writes for the lowest common denominator who would rather be entertained, versus being informed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
He's not even close to what Jay Mariotti was... anyone who says that clearly forgot about Mariotti's daily column ripping anything Chicago every chance he got... not just the White Sox and Ozzie Guillen either. Mariotti called for the firings of people and was a complete blowhard. Cowley is harmelss, and I find him entertaining and funny... it's clear he just wants to report on the team he is following.

If it comes with a few wisecracks, I don't care, that makes it more readable and entertaining. Cowley is NOTHING like Jay Mariotti and doesn't spew the hate that he did. Anyone saying that has short term memory.

Where's the "LIKE" button? *thumbsup*

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
Yeah, what LH is available? I know Feliciano is. But that's probably another 3-year deal. There's Joe Beimel (however you spell it). Ron Mahay is old and sucks now. I just can't see another multi-year deal handed out to another reliever. It's gonna have to be a trade.

I'm guessing we pick up 2-3 guys off the heap and try them out in ST for the LOOGY job. Or, if they are really, truly all in, there is always this...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
There's still that Tim Byrdak whose name keeps cropping up here.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
This board's obsession with Joe Cowley is getting old. Every thread has Joe Cowley talk.

Everyone, get over the fact that he ripped Soxtalk once!

The only way I can kind of explain it is this- that there is some pride involved with breaking stories early that most men may never understand. I know I won't ever get it. Most men spend their days creating things, but then there is the other kind of man who doesn't create, a lesser man who has to analyze the moves of other, greater men. This is what a Cowley does and also some posters on here. If they find out a story a whole day before the rest of the world, then in their minds they can gloat for that 1 WHOLE day...until of course everyone else finds out and it becomes just old news. But I kinda get it- I can picture these men drooling over their precious early knowledge like it was a chest of gold...so sad. If only they liked their lives, none of this would be necessary. It's more of a failure to fully develop than anything else. Just let it be.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:06 PM)
The only way I can kind of explain it is this- that there is some pride involved with breaking stories early that most men may never understand. I know I won't ever get it. Most men spend their days creating things, but then there is the other kind of man who doesn't create, a lesser man who has to analyze the moves of other, greater men. This is what a Cowley does and also some posters on here. If they find out a story a whole day before the rest of the world, then in their minds they can gloat for that 1 WHOLE day...until of course everyone else finds out and it becomes just old news. But I kinda get it- I can picture these men drooling over their precious early knowledge like it was a chest of gold...so sad. If only they liked their lives, none of this would be necessary. It's more of a failure to fully develop than anything else. Just let it be.

I agree. I was so pumped when I was informed that Brent Morel was flying north to meet the AAA team in Pawtucket. It wasn't a huge deal, but to me it was very cool knowing about a player getting promoted before anyone else did. I am pretty sure I even came here and told everyone. lol.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
This board's obsession with Joe Cowley is getting old. Every thread has Joe Cowley talk.

Everyone, get over the fact that he ripped Soxtalk once!

That wasn't even a rip on Cowley. That's just me saying how crazy we're in our current situation when it was doom and gloom not so long ago.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
That wasn't even a rip on Cowley. That's just me saying how crazy we're in our current situation when it was doom and gloom not so long ago.

He's right, though. Last year was fine because of the diss due to the AGON rumors. But f***ing get over it. He's just not that important.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 11:05 PM)
That was true. There were two offseason plans presented to ownership. One was to see how many parts they could dump, the other is what they're doing now.

They put together a pitching staff that has very high potential and it would have been a waste if they didn't go all in this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Keep those words close to your own heart.

Let me guess, my obsession with the awful Jackson/Hudson trade or my hate for Juan Pierre? At least that's directly related to the White Sox. Joe Cowley writes for a newspaper. I can't believe this dude has this kinda impact on the board.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
I just want to say, I think Cowley has been the best Sox related reporter all off-season.

Sarcasm?

I used to hate the guy too, but actually grew to like him a bit. People sometimes take what he says too personally, for example when he tweeted "the kids can play II".. anyone ever think that at the time it looked like Sox are making no moves and were considering rebuilding?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
Let me guess, my obsession with the awful Jackson/Hudson trade or my hate for Juan Pierre? At least that's directly related to the White Sox. Joe Cowley writes for a newspaper. I can't believe this dude has this kinda impact on the board.

lol, and the irony is that you keep complaining about it. Get over it, like you said, and this ends a lot quicker.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Sarcasm?

I used to hate the guy too, but actually grew to like him a bit. People sometimes take what he says too personally, for example when he tweeted "the kids can play II".. anyone ever think that at the time it looked like Sox are making no moves and were considering rebuilding?

I'm actually being dead serious.