Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Leonard Washington

Any way you paint it Ozzie looks incredibly bad and he has not said a word. And the unfortunate thing for Ozzie is that this is his personality trait shining through in Oney, "always say whats on your mind"

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
You do not know that Ozzie told these things to Oney. It is just as likely that Oney and Jenks partied together.

For everyone that thinks Guillen will lose credabiltiy on this, I really do not think that managers and players are really that intimate in one anothers personal lives.

yeah, but sometimes they are, and Jenks is the example we are working off here.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
I'm still on the other side on this one, and you and I are obviously going to disagree.

But in the sense of being another player in that locker room...let's say I'm Matt Thornton or JJ Putz. Bobby Jenks has been doing things in his personal life that have affected his performance on the field. He's blowing games that I think I could finish. I'm not getting my shot to close because Ozzie sticks with him. I keep my mouth shut despite the fact that Bobby's personal issues are boiling over on to the field and we're losing games because of it.

My career is being hurt because of the number of chances that Ozzie is giving Jenks.

And then Jenks comes out and attacks Ozzie's use of the bullpen? I'd want to be the one ripping him publicly.

You can do the same game with any of the other players...every one of them is keeping his mouth shut about Bobby's issues...they're losing games because of it...and Bobby has the audacity to complain about how he was being used and demand even more of a free ride?

You guys can look at it and say that this would build a wall up between Ozzie and his players, I see the opposite. If I were on that team, I'd respect him a lot more if I know that there's only so far that he can be pushed.

The ideal situation is that it all stays in house. The players complain to Ozzie about the lack of playing time or whatever. However, we know it sometimes goes public. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the public comments were strctly playing or game related. This is still somewhat professional. However, as soon as it goes to personal issuesit crosses the line. This stuff should never be discussed. This situation is worse because it looks like Ozzie told his whole family about personal issues with one of his players or employees. Oney may have heard about it from someone else but on the surface it looks like Ozzie told his family. If Jenks wanted to, he has a strong case for a law suit against Ozzie and the team.

Players will think twice before they talk to Ozzie and may go directly to KW which means Ozzie will lose some respect and control with the team.

Okay, so Oney's stuff, while pretty humorous to me, was definitely irresponsible and uncalled for. But if Jenks got drunk and punched some dude in the face, that's the type of dirty laundry I think SHOULD be aired. Definitely not in the manner that they were aired, but I think more athletes should be exposed as arrogant pricks who need to be reined in.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 01:53 PM)
I'm thinking Ozzie needs to be canned. You cant have your manager telling his leaky mouthed kid private clubhouse information.

Oney should be canned from all White Sox facilities.

I really don't see what happened to Bobby during the season as anything that terrible that the White Sox were incredibly kind about covering up. So he said he was going to quit drinking and then he started drinking again. So he is having marital problems. These are common problems that many people have.

Some posters have mentioned that the White Sox "have been covering" for Bobby. Well it isn't as though he has been engaging in criminal activities while in their employ (well, I guess he supposedly did punch someone, but that's a little different) and they have been keeping it on the down low. It's not like Bobby has been shooting heroin or he has been raping women and the White Sox have been covering for him.

If you or I had been having these very same problems, guess what? Our employer would have to keep this quiet. Our employer would not be able to go running around telling other employees or other employers. Our employer would be probably even provide support in the form of therapy under our health insurance policy.

So to act as though what the White Sox did was some amazing act of generosity is simply not true. It's called normal employment practice. It's the law.

Bobby was immature taking a shot at Ozzie, especially knowing the Guillen family as he does, but the White Sox need to distance themselves as an organization from Oney as quickly and quietly as possible.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
If you or I had been having these very same problems, guess what? Our employer would have to keep this quiet. Our employer would not be able to go running around telling other employees or other employers. Our employer would be probably even provide support in the form of therapy under our health insurance policy.

So to act as though what the White Sox did was some amazing act of generosity is simply not true. It's called normal employment practice. It's the law.

Bobby was immature what taking a shot at Ozzie, especially knowing the Guillen family as he does, but the White Sox need to distance themselves as an organization from Oney as quickly and quietly as possible.

However Shack...if that behavior impacted my ability to do my work...and regularly did so, to the point that it was costing my employer performance...your employer would only tolerate it for so long, and if you decided to take public the fact that your employer fired you, in the form of a complaint about your treatment, your former employer would very likely respond by making public all that they'd done to help you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
However Shack...if that behavior impacted my ability to do my work...and regularly did so, to the point that it was costing my employer performance...your employer would only tolerate it for so long, and if you decided to take public the fact that your employer fired you, in the form of a complaint about your treatment, your former employer would very likely respond by making public all that they'd done to help you.

Well, I disagree, but it is certainly difficult to take situations that happen in professional sports and come up with analogous situations in real life.

Oney's on the Score now, says he probably shouldn't have said everything he said. In hindsight he would have not said a couple of the things he said.

Says he did it because he "needed to be put in his place."

Doesn't understand the damage it can do to his dad and/or the team.

He truly thinks he is defending his dad/family. Doesn't like the "perception" others might have about Ozzie if people say things.

He kind of thinks it's OK because he's seen/heard "a million things" in the clubhouse and only "this one minor incident" has come out of him.

Believes is was kind of his job to "stand up for his manager and his ballclub." Standing up for what he believes in. Says players should take the high road.

He doesn't get the damage it can do, and says everyone else doesn't understand the damage it has done to his family.

Doesn't think it will be an issue to Bobby and people are only talking about it because there's nothing going on right now, and it will blow over. Doesn't think anything will come of it this season, there won't be any problems.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)
Oney's on the Score now, says he probably shouldn't have said everything he said. In hindsight he would have not said a couple of the things he said.

Says he did it because he "needed to be put in his place."

Doesn't understand the damage it can do to his dad and/or the team.

He truly thinks he is defending his dad/family. Doesn't like the "perception" others might have about Ozzie if people say things.

He kind of thinks it's OK because he's seen/heard "a million things" in the clubhouse and only "this one minor incident" has come out of him.

Believes is was kind of his job to "stand up for his manager and his ballclub." Standing up for what he believes in. Says players should take the high road.

He doesn't get the damage it can do, and says everyone else doesn't understand the damage it has done to his family.

Doesn't think it will be an issue to Bobby and people are only talking about it because there's nothing going on right now, and it will blow over. Doesn't think anything will come of it this season, there won't be any problems.

None of that comes as a surprise, except maybe the first line about not saying all of it.

I just edited my post above. Listening to him, this kid just doesn't get it. He wants to be important/thinks he's so important because he got to grow up in a clubhouse, and won't stand for anyone saying something negative about his dad or "my ball club." I found that particularly ridiculous.

The whole thing will be on 670thescore.com soon, so I would go have a listen.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Bernstein asked him straight forward questions about the damage that has been done to the clubhouse, and all he basically said was "well everyone is entitled to their opinion".

Yeah and he doesn't think it's a big deal and doesn't hurt the trust factor because there have been a million things and he hasn't talked about all of them. That is such flawed logic. What he doesn't get is that it only takes one of this magnitude to cause the damage, no one is looking at what you haven't talked about.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
Yeah and he doesn't think it's a big deal and doesn't hurt the trust factor because there have been a million things and he hasn't talked about all of them. That is such flawed logic. What he doesn't get is that it only takes one of this magnitude to cause the damage, no one is looking at what you haven't talked about.

How old is he? He certainly comes off as a 15 year old.