Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Leonard Washington

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
What is shows is if you go to Ozzie with a personal situation he likes to discuss it over dinner with the rest of his family. If, for some reason, you want to jab Ozzie in the future, and by no means do I think what Jenks did was right, then you will be subject to Oney airing out all of your personal laundry. It really isn't good.

How do you know that Guillen told Oney this? Oney and Jenks like to party.

In 2005 at the video unveiling Oney was there with Jenks and Cotts.

I find it more plausible that Jenks and Oney were drinking buddies moreso than Guillen sitting around airing the clubhouse news over dinner.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)

I find it more plausible that Jenks and Oney were drinking buddies moreso than Guillen sitting around airing the clubhouse news over dinner.

Read Oney's tweets. He mentions how Jenks went to the manager with his problems, then let everyone hear about them. I admittedly enjoyed the tweets yesterday, but iamshack is right on here. There's really no defending what he's done, and even if Jenks "deserved" it, some things should be left unsaid. Its been an unwritten rule forever in sports, what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse. Oney has a right to stick up for his father, but some things are off limits. Just about everyone has problems, and eventually a lot of guys have problems with Ozzie, there's reasons he was voted manager players would least like to play for. As long as everything is going smoothly, I'm sure Ozzie is a riot to be around and play for, but every team and every playerhits bumps. A lot more of them have serious issues than you realize. Oney shouldn't be tweeting aboutwhat happens in the White Sox clubhouse. He doesn't work there, I don't believe he's even allowed in anymore.

Listen to Oney's score interview, and then remember what he tweeted about KW and his kid. Its beyond hypocritical.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)

That's the same thing I wondered, because it does make a difference in this story. If Oney is talking about things that he saw, versus things that his dad told him, it changes things for me. I asked Oney on Twitter, and he claims all of the tweets are about things he observed himself.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
That's the same thing I wondered, because it does make a difference in this story. If Oney is talking about things that he saw, versus things that his dad told him, it changes things for me. I asked Oney on Twitter, and he claims all of the tweets are about things he observed himself.

He was stuttering pretty much when Bernstein was grilling him and basically downplayed the "one thing" in the manager's office. I advise everyone to listen to the interview. Oney is a bigger dope than I ever thought.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)

But that doesn't change the fact that Oney knows what he knows because of the position his father holds with the White Sox.

It's not as if Oney would know Jenks otherwise. It's not as if the White Sox would have hired Oney otherwise. He knows what he knows because of who his father is, and if his father wants to keep his job, he might want to make sure details about the players' lives are not made public over Twitter.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
But that doesn't change the fact that Oney knows what he knows because of the position his father holds with the White Sox.

It's not as if Oney would know Jenks otherwise. It's not as if the White Sox would have hired Oney otherwise. He knows what he knows because of who his father is, and if his father wants to keep his job, he might want to make sure details about the players' lives are not made public over Twitter.

True, but it is a whole other level of wrong if Ozzie is coming home and saying "Hey guys, Jenks bawled like a little b**** today!".

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)
True, but it is a whole other level of wrong if Ozzie is coming home and saying "Hey guys, Jenks bawled like a little b**** today!".

Well, Ozzie is going to talk about his job to people, most likely his family. It's human nature. His larger mistake is trusting Oney with that information, as he clearly does not think things through before he opens his big mouth.

I'm sorry, but 15+ pages about that sh*t a** spoiled little brat Oney, who would be working in a Chavez labor camp if his father didn't play MLB? Enough already. Bobby, thanks for the memories, your 'bull whip' close in game one of WS05 will go down in history. Be glad that you earned last year's contract and that you have a chance to play for a serious contender on another rich 2yr contract. Hope you straighten out your personal life and don't blow all the cash you've earned... Good luck to you in the future. Now can we all move-on and talk about the '11 Sox march to the World Series or Harold's possible last time on the HOF ballot?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)

Don't get me wrong I do not think that Jenks had it coming and I think Oney is a douche. He is a fool and Guillen needs to address this.

I wish Ozzie would come out and say something against Oney though and deal with because it makes Ozzie look more like a fool than anything else.

Jenks also looks like fool here as if he did not have his issues Thorton and Putz would not have been overworked. I do not care about the on field failures, that is part of the game it has to do with the injuries and now exposed personnel issues that Fathom spoke of during the year that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I wish guys could just leave and be gone.

Other than Jon Rauch, Swisher, Sean Tracey, Orlando Cabrera....and maybe Thome after what was said in the middle of the season last year (but I still doubt it), how many former White Sox players wouldn't come back to Chicago?

Obviously, Jenks wanted to stay, that's why he felt "hurt" to be dumped, although when you're talking about a professional athlete making millions (or like Jermaine Dye being "insulted" by the offers he received) it's all relative I suppose.

It's not like we have spent a boatload of money on free agents during the KW tenure. For all the negative comments and "worst manager" things, there's a long list of players like Griffey, Sandy Alomar, Vizquel, etc., who have nothing but positive words for the Sox. Omar is one of the most highly-respected players in the game, easily top five. Despite what may or may not have happened in the clubhouse the last 2-3 seasons, it speaks a lot that he came back. Andruw Jones had no issues playing under Ozzie that we know of....heck, veteran players like Erstad, Kotsay, Mackowiak, etc., love to play under Ozzie because he follows the "baseball code" of giving the veterans (like Jenks again) get the benefit of the doubt.

Still, he's given Beckham, Sale and Viciedo plenty of chances to prove themselves when they shined....and stuck with Beckham and perhaps handled his slump as well last year as any manager or front office possibly could have with all the pressure on Gordon.

And think of all the players like AJ, Konerko and Buehrle who have stuck around all these years.

A lot of the players we shed like Lofton, Ordonez, Carlos Lee or D'Angelo Jimenez were simply really bad fits in the end with this organization winning a championship. I'd like to think KW has learned that talent doesn't always win out...that chemistry and intangibles/character are just as important.

But they've taken chances with players like Thornton, Loaiza, Wil Cordero (yikes), Dye, Ellis Burks, Bo Jackson, Jenks, Sergio Santos, Hermanson, El Duque, AJ....this list of players who've had a second or third life with Chicago is immense.

And players like Pods were basically worshipped when they were on the South Side (because of 2005) and consequently were welcomed back by many fans with open arms. Aaron Rowand, Carl Everett, Frank Thomas, Joe Crede or Brian Anderson could be placed on the roster again and quite a few Sox fans would be elated.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
I still think, if I were in that locker room, I'd be much more angry about Jenks opening his mouth than about the fire-back.

I'd be angry about both. But the problem isn't the occasional disgruntled former player who mouths off. Every organization deals with that. With the Sox, these situations uniquely blow up into massive f***fests because Ozzie and/or his obnoxious kids are apparently incapable of keeping their mouths shut and acting like adults. And as long as they're in the fold, 35th and Shields will continue to resemble a bad soap opera. That may make for good reality TV, but it doesn't make it an attractive place to work.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)

Yeah, but with that said, he did make the call on Blum in Game 3 of the WS. That was the pinnacle of Oney's baseball career and we/he will always have that.

Speaking bluntly, when I originally read Bobby Jenks's comments this morning (before the Oney bulls***) I was thinking "geez I had no idea this whole time that Bobby was such a f***ing vagina. Does Bobby not see who had his back that whole time? There were times when Ozzie was the only thing protecting him from the media and a mob of angry fans." Before I really could finish that thought I saw Oney's stream of bulls*** and somehow, he made Bobby look like a victim instead of a p****, like he should have. Oney is such a f***ing tool... he actually manages to outdo himself, I didn't know this was even possible.

This stuff is kind of boring to me.

Bobby: Spoiled millionaire major leaguer (like MOST of them).

Oney: Spoiled son of rich former major leaguer and manager (both Oz and Oney are spoiled).

What they say: Jibberish bulls***.

Who cares?

I still like Bobby; I still like Ozzie.

Oney is son of Ozzie and meaningless. He can say what he wants but it don't mean squat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
He said specifically the crying incident didn't happen this year.

OK, but then how did he know about the marital problems and the drinking problems and the self diagnosis fantom injury? You don't really believe Oney is being straight when saying he doesn't discuss any White Sox stuff with Ozzie do you? Its not like Ozzie has ever been known to keep secrets. KW doesn't even discuss what he's working on with him anymore because Ozzie eventually leaks it. That said, I think everything will be fine if Ozzie steps up and gets Oney out of the picture once and for all.

i applaud dan bernsteins interview of Oney. he clearly could not make the distinction from damaging his fathers reputation within the clubhouse and speaking his own opinion, and his only true defense was that it was only his opinion.

unfortunately i am fairly sure this is not the last we will hear from a Mr Oney Guillen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)

Oney: Spoiled son of rich former major leaguer and manager (both Oz and Oney are spoiled).

Who cares?

Oney is son of Ozzie and meaningless. He can say what he wants but it don't mean squat.

Well said, nothing more than interesting theater.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)

Who cares?

Who cares? I do if it affects the clubhouse going forward.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
Who cares? I do if it affects the clubhouse going forward.

he doesnt care because it would mean he would have to speak ill of two of his favorite people. Obviously the reaction of this thread shows that people care.