Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Leonard Washington

I hate to see this come true, but I called this a while ago. If Oney was right and Jenks started drinking again and was having marital issues during the season, it explains the bereavement leave as well as KW and Ozzie said they were disappointed in Jenks on and off the field. There's still a lot more to this story, so Jenks needs to just be quiet. However, Oney is so ignorant for airing this dirty laundry.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised at the comments by Jenks or Oney when you consider the sources. Also not surprised to hear Jenks may have had some drinking and marital issues come up last year. Finally, I'm not surprised that Jenks had thoughts of starting. He has had some MAJOR issues in recent years simply sticking to his two best pitches like a reliever should. He tended to screw around with 4 pitches instead, and it hurt him IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 05:29 AM)
I hate to see this come true, but I called this a while ago. If Oney was right and Jenks started drinking again and was having marital issues during the season, it explains the bereavement leave as well as KW and Ozzie said they were disappointed in Jenks on and off the field. There's still a lot more to this story, so Jenks needs to just be quiet. However, Oney is so ignorant for airing this dirty laundry.

Good post, fathom.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)

But honestly, this stuff happens to real people all the time. People start drinking again all the time. People have marital troubles all the time. Far worse things happen to real people all the time.

He is a professional and he should have been able to continue to perform as such.

I understand he is a human being first, and a pitcher for the White Sox pitcher comes somewhere down the line after husband and father, etc., but come on. Life happens and you deal with it.

Jenks is immature and silly for taking some parting shots and Oney and the Guillen family are wildly arrogant and naive to think this isn't going to catch up with them sooner rather than later.

f***ing Oney.

He needs to not have an internet connection.

As for Bobby, is he suffering from some sort of DWade "Bulls aren't loyal syndrome"? Ozzie stuck by him long past the point where he should have.

I thought it would end nicely Bobby, but you made it ugly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:31 AM)
But honestly, this stuff happens to real people all the time. People start drinking again all the time. People have marital troubles all the time. Far worse things happen to real people all the time.

He is a professional and he should have been able to continue to perform as such.

I understand he is a human being first, and a pitcher for the White Sox pitcher comes somewhere down the line after husband and father, etc., but come on. Life happens and you deal with it.

Jenks is immature and silly for taking some parting shots and Oney and the Guillen family are wildly arrogant and naive to think this isn't going to catch up with them sooner rather than later.

Does anybody doubt for a second that Ozzie would've been fired by now if not for 2005?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
There is now absolutely no need for KW or Guillen to say anything else negative about Jenks. They can legitimately take the high road and distance themselves from Oney's comments, and it doesn't matter because the message and some vague, 140 character summary of the facts are already out there. KW and Ozzie should chime in by decrying Oney's statements. All that would do is put more emphasis on them.

That makes sense. Should we conclude that K. W., Ozzie, and perhaps even J. R., are privately condoning Oney's remarks, even if, as you suggest, we are likely to hear public protestations to the contrary?

Edited by Lillian

Ozzie needs to shut Oney up. Or Ozzie needs to keep his mouth shut regarding player issues and keep things in house. KW, Ozzie and Coop could have responded to Jenks' comments with a simple "We gave him opportunities, it didn't work out", "we tried to help Bobby", or taken the high road and let the comments slide. If half of what Oney posted was true, Jenks has enough crap to deal with. And the players in the Sox org. and management know what's up. No need to air the dirty laundry. I'm sure Kenny and Jerry are pissed at this garbage from Oney and something needs to be done. It hurts the Sox unnecessarily, and other players won't want their issues brought up in public if they can avoid it [like signing elsewhere as a free agent].

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)

Good post. Jenks acting like a whiny little child, but Oney went up another two levels of asshole from there. We're basically watching two spoiled immature brats fight it out on the interwebs. Its sad, and it does NOT reflect well on the White Sox.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 08:38 AM)
Good post. Jenks acting like a whiny little child, but Oney went up another two levels of asshole from there. We're basically watching two spoiled immature brats fight it out on the interwebs. Its sad, and it does NOT reflect well on the White Sox.

I think the White Sox come out of this quite a bit cleaner than you suggest.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 06:38 AM)

That. And it has nothing to do with sports.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:31 AM)

In an ideal world this is true. But performing at a professional athlete level with total focus and concentration is tough enough. When you add the kind of troubles he is talking about , it becomes near impossible. Maintaining that level of focus is the hardest part of baseball. It's a mental grind more than physical. Things like this are often the reason why talented players either don't reach their potential or are inconsistent at times.

Oney needs to shut up but he was part of the locker room prior to last season so he would have seen first hand everything that happened in there.

This is another case of a player leaving the Sox and being ticked off because they have to go somewhere else.

If playing for Guillen was so bad, why do all of the players that they want back keep coming back?

Thome wanted to be back, Konerko, AJ, Mark, somehow Rios turned into a respectable player, Dye, there are plenty of guys that leave and then bash the organization because they were cut loose.

I almost find it comical.

Guillen stood by that fatass.

Oney behaving like this, sends a signal to the rest of the whitesox. Can't go to ozzie with your problems or when Oney is around you need to shut up, because Ozzie and his idiot sons can't keep there mouths shut. They will need to find someone else to talk to, which is ashame. A player should be able to go to his manager, as a leader, mentor and coach and share an issue that maybe affecting there play. That said, I am sure Bobby is not out of his problems and these will re-surfice once again fortunately not for the whitesox.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Oney behaving like this, sends a signal to the rest of the whitesox. Can't go to ozzie with your problems or when Oney is around you need to shut up, because Ozzie and his idiot sons can't keep there mouths shut. They will need to find someone else to talk to, which is ashame. A player should be able to go to his manager, as a leader, mentor and coach and share an issue that maybe affecting there play. That said, I am sure Bobby is not out of his problems and these will re-surfice once again fortunately not for the whitesox.

That's not the message this sends. The message this sends is that if you don't want your dirty laundry aired...then keep your own mouth shut. Ripping the team that knows all your dirty laundry? That's moronic.

Every one in that locker room suffered last year because of Bobby's problems, and every one of them kept their mouths shut. Bobby Jenks left, and immediately decided that he couldn't keep his mouth shut, and blamed the people who were covering for him.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)

I would guess that Oney talked with Jenks over drinks more than Jenks spoke to Ozzie. I really do not think that Ozzie comes home and talks to his family about Jenks personal life. Oney probably knew as much about the innerworkings of that team than Ozzie did while Oney was there.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)

I agree, this sets up a bad situation for the players and other coaches. Ozzie's son is causing some significant problems here.