Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Leonard Washington

I want Ozzie around as manager but I'm getting to the point where I'd rather see him gone if we're going to have to listen to Oney drama all year. I wish someone would go after that kid legally for slander. He's not getting the message.

BTW if Bobby has/had drinking issues this last year or so... well, what do you expect? 162 games plus preseason plus potentially the playoffs makes for a very long season with a lot of time away from home and family. Drinking and marital problems are as much a part of baseball as anything else. Hopefully Bobby gets all that sorted out. Oney OTOH needs to seriously STFU and go away. His dad isn't the one who needs to be defended. His dad isn't the little b****. Oney said what he said because he's a little c*** rag who just proved he'll squeal on anyone at any time. Get this piece of s*** away from the White Sox for the love of god. And make sure he never meets another player again.

Also Ozzie, in general, does a very good job managing a bullpen IMO. In fact, his managing of a pitching staff as a whole is probably his best quality as a manager. Jenks was a terrible pitcher last year and his stats from last year are deceptively good. You can't fall behind in the count and toss meatballs over after you've just walked a guy. Ozzie actually should have been harder on Bobby than he was. Ozzie gave Bobby every opportunity and then some to keep his job. He had a long leash here because he helped us win a WS and had some great seasons here, even temporarily tied a big record. But elsewhere, like in Boston, he hasn't accomplished jack, and he'll find his leash a whole lot shorter if/when he f***s it up. I wish Bobby well though, just not against us.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
I think you have to add in more of the full picture before you can compare Jenks to Hamilton.

Let's hypothetically say that Hamilton had fallen off the wagon fully in 2009 (when he had that first few drinks and was wandering around asking if anyone has some coke, by his own description).

Then, the Rangers cover for him. They continue investing money in him, continue giving him shots, don't bench him even while he's struggling, and finally let him go when his contract ends. They never say anything publicly about anything.

Then, Hamilton comes out and criticizes the team for not giving him enough playing time. After all the covering for him that the team had done.

You really would keep your mouth shut? If you were another player on that team, would you respect the team more if they continued to keep their mouth shut or if they stepped up and defended themselves?

I'd find it much more pathetic if the team kept its mouth shut.

You have focused the issue on the key point. No one disclosed any of Jenks' personal problems before. This recent disclosure is a response to Jenks' criticism of management for not having confidence in him. I think that you are absolutely right about how the other players would feel. Many of them may be as miffed at Jenks as Ozzie and Kenny probably are. Jenks is being an ingrate, and deserves to be called out. He let his team down by his off field behaviour, and has a lot of "chutzpah" to criticise the organization publically, after they covered for him for so long.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
I want Ozzie around as manager but I'm getting to the point where I'd rather see him gone if we're going to have to listen to Oney drama all year. I wish someone would go after that kid legally for slander. He's not getting the message.

BTW if Bobby has/had drinking issues this last year or so... well, what do you expect? 162 games plus preseason plus potentially the playoffs makes for a very long season with a lot of time away from home and family. Drinking and marital problems are as much a part of baseball as anything else. Hopefully Bobby gets all that sorted out. Oney OTOH needs to seriously STFU and go away. His dad isn't the one who needs to be defended. His dad isn't the little b****. Oney said what he said because he's a little c*** rag who just proved he'll squeal on anyone at any time. Get this piece of s*** away from the White Sox for the love of god. And make sure he never meets another player again.

Also Ozzie, in general, does a very good job managing a bullpen IMO. In fact, his managing of a pitching staff as a whole is probably his best quality as a manager. Jenks was a terrible pitcher last year and his stats from last year are deceptively good. You can't fall behind in the count and toss meatballs over after you've just walked a guy. Ozzie actually should have been harder on Bobby than he was. Ozzie gave Bobby every opportunity and then some to keep his job. He had a long leash here because he helped us win a WS and had some great seasons here, even temporarily tied a big record. But elsewhere, like in Boston, he hasn't accomplished jack, and he'll find his leash a whole lot shorter if/when he f***s it up. I wish Bobby well though, just not against us.

Good post. I must say I agree in that I've never had that much of a problem with how Ozzie manages a pitching staff. It's his lineups and the overuse of bad baseball players that drives me nuts. And giving up as many outs as he does trying to bunt also irks me. We're not in the NL. Ozzie needs to realize this.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
You have focused the issue on the key point. No one disclosed any of Jenks' personal problems before. This recent disclosure is a response to Jenks' criticism of management for not having confidence in him. I think that you are absolutely right about how the other players would feel. Many of them may be as miffed at Jenks as Ozzie and Kenny probably are. Jenks is being an ingrate, and deserves to be called out. He let his team down by his off field behaviour, and has a lot of "chutzpah" to criticise the organization publically, after they covered for him for so long.

Nobody likes a snitch.

All Oney would have had to do (if he HAD to say something) was point out that Bobby performed poorly and was given a greater opportunity than he'll likely find elsewhere at that same level of performance. Bobby Jenks was Doug Jones-ish last year. But instead of making it about baseball he made it about Bobby's personal life, crossing a line that hopefully will lead to JR sitting Ozzie down and telling him to reign in his POS kid or else.

I'm sorry, but Jenks criticized how he was handled professionally. Oney responded by airing out a bunch of details about Jenks' personal life. Those are two completely different responses in terms of degree.

If Oney wanted to say Jenks didn't get it done on the field, fine. But the White Sox are supposed to be a respectful organization operated by professionals. This is not the kind of response such a respectful organization of any kind makes.

And Balta, you can say they didn't formally make this response all you want, but the fact is Oney has the relationships he does and information that he does because he is granted certain privileges by the White Sox, and it is their responsibility to make sure he isn't divulging information like this to the public.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Nobody likes a snitch.

All Oney would have had to do (if he HAD to say something) was point out that Bobby performed poorly and was given a greater opportunity than he'll likely find elsewhere at that same level of performance. Bobby Jenks was Doug Jones-ish last year. But instead of making it about baseball he made it about Bobby's personal life, crossing a line that hopefully will lead to JR sitting Ozzie down and telling him to reign in his POS kid or else.

JR would never do this. Jerry Krause would still be GM of the Bulls if it were up to him.

Who has the "chutzpah"? The guillens live on this crap.This did not need to come from ONEY. Why wouldn't kenny williams respond if its so important to "put Jenks in his place?" A simple tweet and more effective would have been" We are dissapointed in Bobbys comments, As he and his family knows, the Whitesox have stood behind Bobby and his family through some tough personal times. We wish him well and hope he succeeds in every aspect of life" Now that is a professional statement, Not a statement from a 25 year old loud mouth who road his daddys coat tails his whole life. Personally, I think this dedication to the guillens need to stop. They continue to shoot themselves in the foot. Fans constantly hear that the locker room is a sanctuary, where players can talk freely and air there issues, and concerns. If I am playing baseball or have any job and come home one day and my wife says she is leaving me with the kids, it will effect me and how I perform at work, and I would need the confidence of my manager to keep that sacred and understand that I will not be right for a certain period of time. Little baby guillen who stills lives off of mommy and daddy will one day need to understand this. For now he is an idiot.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
JR would never do this. Jerry Krause would still be GM of the Bulls if it were up to him.

I think JR is probably the only one that would be able to do it. He seems to be the only reason KW and Ozzie got through last year together and are supposedly on the same page heading into 2011.

Ozzie needs to get this s*** under control already. Even if he doesn't care about the way it makes the organization look and the way it affects confidentiality within the clubhouse, if nothing else Oney's bulls*** is making his own family look bad.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Who has the "chutzpah"? The guillens live on this crap.This did not need to come from ONEY. Why wouldn't kenny williams respond if its so important to "put Jenks in his place?" A simple tweet and more effective would have been" We are dissapointed in Bobbys comments, As he and his family knows, the Whitesox have stood behind Bobby and his family through some tough personal times. We wish him well and hope he succeeds in every aspect of life" Now that is a professional statement, Not a statement from a 25 year old loud mouth who road his daddys coat tails his whole life. Personally, I think this dedication to the guillens need to stop. They continue to shoot themselves in the foot. Fans constantly hear that the locker room is a sanctuary, where players can talk freely and air there issues, and concerns. If I am playing baseball or have any job and come home one day and my wife says she is leaving me with the kids, it will effect me and how I perform at work, and I would need the confidence of my manager to keep that sacred and understand that I will not be right for a certain period of time. Little baby guillen who stills lives off of mommy and daddy will one day need to understand this. For now he is an idiot.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
I think JR is probably the only one that would be able to do it. He seems to be the only reason KW and Ozzie got through last year together and are supposedly on the same page heading into 2011.

Ozzie needs to get this s*** under control already. Even if he doesn't care about the way it makes the organization look and the way it affects confidentiality within the clubhouse, if nothing else Oney's bulls*** is making his own family look bad.

2005. The end. I can't think of another manager in any sport ever living off of one year like Ozzie has and will likely continue to.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
I'm sorry, but Jenks criticized how he was handled professionally. Oney responded by airing out a bunch of details about Jenks' personal life. Those are two completely different responses in terms of degree.

If Oney wanted to say Jenks didn't get it done on the field, fine. But the White Sox are supposed to be a respectful organization operated by professionals. This is not the kind of response such a respectful organization of any kind makes.

And Balta, you can say they didn't formally make this response all you want, but the fact is Oney has the relationships he does and information that he does because he is granted certain privileges by the White Sox, and it is their responsibility to make sure he isn't divulging information like this to the public.

This is an excellent post and description. What Oney needs to realize that what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse, especially for the non-players. I've been involved with many professional and collegiate clubhouses and you need to know where the boundary is. The personal stuff cannot be discussed with other people. It's a violation of trust (as well as law in some cases). No team will go anywhere without the respect and trust of the players and coaches involved.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
2005. The end. I can't think of another manager in any sport ever living off of one year like Ozzie has and will likely continue to.

Any Yankee pretty much proves this. Hell someone like Don Mattingly getting HOF votes proves players get special treatments due to circumstances off of the field.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)

i think this is exactly something JR would do. He wouldn't fire Ozzie (as per your analogy) but he would sit him down and tell him how to handle the problems arising from his team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
i think this is exactly something JR would do. He wouldn't fire Ozzie (as per your analogy) but he would sit him down and tell him how to handle the problems arising from his team.

Well, yeah, I don't doubt that. KHP said or else. As if ultimately he would fire Ozzie. I don't think that ever happens.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)

I know we've been over this but Ozzie has a good record as a manger with few losing seasons. Many maagers have been kept around with worse records. I now you don't like him because he doesn't do "sabermetrics" much but his teams succeed much more than they fail.

As for an example just look in Chicago. Lovie Smith has been kept around with far less success.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Well, yeah, I don't doubt that. KHP said or else. As if ultimately he would fire Ozzie. I don't think that ever happens.

i agree he wouldn't fire Ozzie. He will let KW do what he thinks is right. JR is loyal to his employees and let's them do their job.

Like when Phil Jackson had his power play and wanted both GM and coach positions. JR told him Krause had the GM postion so Jackson left. He went to LA divorced his wife and married the owners daughter so he could get the GM fired and took over both positions.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
Nobody likes a snitch.

I'm not defending Oney, but I can appreciate how Jenks' comments would anger everyone in the organization.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)

It's the same thing. If this Oney stuff continues to happen the Sox won't have any choice but to sever ties with Ozzie if Ozzie won't shut him up. Maybe the Sox wouldn't fire him, but they'd let his contract expire and would hire a replacement. JR wouldn't want that to happen, which would be the reason for trying to get the point across to Ozzie himself. This is a professional organization and they're certainly not happy having this stuff out there.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm not defending Oney, but I can appreciate how Jenks' comments would anger everyone in the organization.

All he said was that Ozzie didn't trust his relievers as much as he should have. Why would this anger the rest of the organiztion? I could see the majority of the organization strongly disagreeing with him over that, but I couldn't see them getting too upset about it, especially not to the point of taking it personal and feeling the need to fire off insults in return.

Oney isn't actually protecting anyone. I think he said what he said because deep down he's full of hate, and that's probably the result of him pissing away a baseball career that was given to him on a silver platter. I doubt anyone there really is mad about Bobby, maybe disappointed but that's it. I actually don't know which is more offensive, Oney getting involved in Bobby's personal life and trying to publicly damage his image, OR Oney pretending to speak for the rest of the organization with that ignorant, reckless, childish, snitch fit.

I'm actually pissed that this kid is a topic of conversation on this site.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 29, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Ultimately, this s*** has to stop. This annoys me more than makes me angry. What other managers' son has ever caused as much friction as Oney has the last couple years? Lame. I wouldn't mind another manager in place of Ozzie. But not because his son is retarded.

Ozzie really loves the organization and, even if he makes decisions we all disagree with sometimes, at least it means something to him to wear the black and white. Maybe it sounds dumb, but that means a lot to me. There are too many managers out there who just don't seem to care. Very few of them speak their mind, and that bothers me as well. The personality and Sox connection I love, the bullpen management I like, the starting staff management I absolutely love, and the rest of the stuff IMO isn't going to matter really if a good enough team is on the field - like, his deficiencies probably aren't going to cost us a division in a long run. Either we're good enough or we aren't.

If we had to replace Ozzie I wouldn't like it, but it could work. Maybe we could find the right guy. But if we did replace Ozzie I damn sure wouldn't want to see Ozzie go out because of some stupid s*** his son did. That's just wrong on so many levels. Somebody better get through to Oney and let him know that if he really wants to protect his dad he should STFU already.