Bobby Jenks to the Red Sox

Leonard Washington

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
I don't see this going well for Jenks. The media will tear him apart if he's anything but very good. The fans and writers will rip him relentlessly for his weight and work ethic.

If you're one of those people who thought we treated him unfairly in Chicago, get ready for something special.

I don't necessarily agree. Sawks fans, while rabid fans, are not necessarily brutal in the personal sense that Phillies and NY fans can be. I think the fans will identify with him and he'll do pretty well there.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
I don't necessarily agree. Sawks fans, while rabid fans, are not necessarily brutal in the personal sense that Phillies and NY fans can be. I think the fans will identify with him and he'll do pretty well there.

I lived there for six years, but whatever you say.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
I lived there for six years, but whatever you say.

Hey, great reply! I guess I'll just take your word on all things Boston because you happened to live there. I mean, it's not like there is tv or the internet or anything...

Since you're the expert Milk, maybe you could argue your case?

Obviously if he goes there and completely bombs, he'll face some adversity, but he's not coming in as some savior or anything. They've embraced all kinds of guys that are down on their luck or are just mediocre players in the past, simply because they seem to like them personally or they have made their best effort on the field.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
Hey, great reply! I guess I'll just take your word on all things Boston because you happened to live there. I mean, it's not like there is tv or the internet or anything...

Since you're the expert Milk, maybe you could argue your case?

Obviously if he goes there and completely bombs, he'll face some adversity, but he's not coming in as some savior or anything. They've embraced all kinds of guys that are down on their luck or are just mediocre players in the past, simply because they seem to like them personally or they have made their best effort on the field.

Go listen to a sports radio show in Boston. Go read a website dedicated to their teams. Sure, they have fans who are just as level-headed as any in baseball, but they have many more over-the-top fans than most places (I assume, but certainly more than Chicago). And they are a lot meaner and far less forgiving.

Red Sox fans are complete jagoffs. Probably the most abnoxious sports fans I've ever met in general (and that includes Yankee fans). But they tend to know there sports pretty well and there are plenty of real good ones. Very much like most other teams.

But I hate no baseball team quite like the Red Sox because of this holier than holy anti Yankee/evil empire sentiment that they spew which is complete nonsense.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
Red Sox fans are complete jagoffs. Probably the most abnoxious sports fans I've ever met in general (and that includes Yankee fans). But they tend to know there sports pretty well and there are plenty of real good ones. Very much like most other teams.

But I hate no baseball team quite like the Red Sox because of this holier than holy anti Yankee/evil empire sentiment that they spew which is complete nonsense.

Winning a WOrld Series was the worse thing to happen as far as that fan base. Hope they have have to wait another 80 plus years again.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Go listen to a sports radio show in Boston. Go read a website dedicated to their teams. Sure, they have fans who are just as level-headed as any in baseball, but they have many more over-the-top fans than most places (I assume, but certainly more than Chicago). And they are a lot meaner and far less forgiving.

I have.

And I've done the same with New York. And Philly. And Chicago. And LA.

Red Sox fans are what White Sox fans would be if there was no Cubs. We would have the entire City of Chicago supporting us and we would be in an all-out war against NY for annual supremacy. We would hate NY and the Yankees, and we would be obsessed with our own team because of the resulting rivalry.

Red Sox fans are smart, and they are certainly passionate. But they are not like NY and they are not like Philly. They support guys like Kevin Millar and Billy Mueller and "Mikey Lowe" because they are working-class guys who bust their asses and care about the game. Certainly if Bobby goes there and s***s the field and doesn't give a crap about his weight, then yes, he will catch some heat over it. But he would catch heat over that in any major city in the US.

But if he pitches well and contributes to the Red Sox success, even if he has some tough outings, they aren't going to turn on him and all bring "FATASS" signs or something.

Boston is a working-class, blue-collar city. Bobby is a working-class, blue-collar kind of guy. IMHO, he'll fit in just fine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
I have.

And I've done the same with New York. And Philly. And Chicago. And LA.

Red Sox fans are what White Sox fans would be if there was no Cubs. We would have the entire City of Chicago supporting us and we would be in an all-out war against NY for annual supremacy. We would hate NY and the Yankees, and we would be obsessed with our own team because of the resulting rivalry.

Red Sox fans are smart, and they are certainly passionate. But they are not like NY and they are not like Philly. They support guys like Kevin Millar and Billy Mueller and "Mikey Lowe" because they are working-class guys who bust their asses and care about the game. Certainly if Bobby goes there and s***s the field and doesn't give a crap about his weight, then yes, he will catch some heat over it. But he would catch heat over that in any major city in the US.

But if he pitches well and contributes to the Red Sox success, even if he has some tough outings, they aren't going to turn on him and all bring "FATASS" signs or something.

Boston is a working-class, blue-collar city. Bobby is a working-class, blue-collar kind of guy. IMHO, he'll fit in just fine.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I'll just take my years of first-hand experience being surrounded by their fans, going to their games, listening to their sports talk in person and on the radio over whatever argument you could possibly make.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)

Over the top Red Sox fans remind me a hell of a lot of the Ohio State football fanbase. Completely irrational.

Not meant to be a flame and I hope I don't get banned for my final-ever comment on Bobby.

Bobby naysayers are going to discover there is still life in that arm and he's gonna be a valuable contributor for the Red Sox.

He can still pitch. He still has juice on the fastball and he can handle pressure situations and will continue to handle them well.

I truly hope our new bullpen corps does a great job, but we are all going to find out nobody is automatic back there.

Bobby Jenks is a stud and is not washed up.

Good luck Bobby. I will defend your performance as a Sox forever.

I personally hope whomever has our best fastball is the new closer.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Agree to disagree, I guess. I'll just take my years of first-hand experience being surrounded by their fans, going to their games, listening to their sports talk in person and on the radio over whatever argument you could possibly make.

You do that.

And I'll take the same sports discussion I have had with all kinds of their fans, what I have read in their newspapers and on their message boards, the numerous games I watch on television via ESPN and the Extra Innings package and NESN, the articles on national and local websites, the interviews of former players and coaches, logic, reason, past history, pop culture, and we'll just agree to disagree.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Good for Bobby and best of luck to ya.

I agree. Hope he can get things back on track. Sounds like the money is pretty close to what he was getting in Chitown, which is more than the Pale Hose would pay him I think for 2011

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
Not meant to be a flame and I hope I don't get banned for my final-ever comment on Bobby.

Bobby naysayers are going to discover there is still life in that arm and he's gonna be a valuable contributor for the Red Sox.

He can still pitch. He still has juice on the fastball and he can handle pressure situations and will continue to handle them well.

I truly hope our new bullpen corps does a great job, but we are all going to find out nobody is automatic back there.

Bobby Jenks is a stud and is not washed up.

Good luck Bobby. I will defend your performance as a Sox forever.

I personally hope whomever has our best fastball is the new closer.

Oh yeah, this post is definitely ban worthy. Calm down, greg.

Bobby had more horrible performances last year than all previous years combined in my opinion. From late 2005-2009 he was as good of a closer the White Sox have ever seen in the last 30 yrs and it will not be as easy for us in the 9th this year, unfortunately, unless Sale can step up.

If Bobby hits the middle of the plate as much as he did in 2010 for the BoSox, the fans will crucify him...

Edited by JohnCangelosi