Greinke traded to the Brewers

southsider2k5

LOL people compared Javy Vazquez to Zach Greinke? Sorry, perhaps I'm naive, but I don't equate Greinke with Vazquez at all. Just because a player has psychological issues doesn't mean they can't succeed in the New York spotlight. Hell, that type of stuff can be a motivating factor if you find the right coach.

I mean, the Yankees have the most money in the league...if they are to acquire this guy, they are going to find the best psychiatrist they can for him, to allow him to exercise these demons, and to allow him to perform to the very best of his abilities. If anything, the fact that he has desired a trade shows to me that he wants to win before he makes it to his next contract, and he isn't going to find a better place to win than New York.

Further, to the person who said that, because the Yankees haven't traded anybody who has meant a goddamn, I point to Ian Kennedy, Robinson Cano, Joba Chamberlain, and Phillip Hughes (and I'm sure there are others as well). The Yankees farm system is fully productive and doing just fine, and if you trust your scouts, you will trade for players they believe are good.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 04:58 AM)
LOL people compared Javy Vazquez to Zach Greinke? Sorry, perhaps I'm naive, but I don't equate Greinke with Vazquez at all. Just because a player has psychological issues doesn't mean they can't succeed in the New York spotlight. Hell, that type of stuff can be a motivating factor if you find the right coach.

I mean, the Yankees have the most money in the league...if they are to acquire this guy, they are going to find the best psychiatrist they can for him, to allow him to exercise these demons, and to allow him to perform to the very best of his abilities. If anything, the fact that he has desired a trade shows to me that he wants to win before he makes it to his next contract, and he isn't going to find a better place to win than New York.

Further, to the person who said that, because the Yankees haven't traded anybody who has meant a goddamn, I point to Ian Kennedy, Robinson Cano, Joba Chamberlain, and Phillip Hughes (and I'm sure there are others as well). The Yankees farm system is fully productive and doing just fine, and if you trust your scouts, you will trade for players they believe are good.

There are more than a few people that don't have Grienke's issues that couldn't perform in NY. Its not as simple as hiring the best psychiatrist in the world and everything will be fine. If it were that simple, every team has the money to hire the best psychiatrist in the world. Maybe he's over his issues, maybe he's not, but this guy is a weird dude. He once said he would rather mow grass while listening to music with headphones on than pitch in the major leagues. KC was a great place for him mentally.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
ESPN Olney and Heyman are now also reporting this deal as done.

Not a bad move for either IMO. Milwaukee gets one of the better pitchers on the market, who if it doesn't work out with winning, can always be flipped elsewhere. KC gets 3 or 4 pretty intriguing young players plus over $25 million to play with.

For the NL Central, that rotation is pretty sick. Greinke, Marcum, Gallardo, Wolf and Narveson is a rotation that could keep you in serious contention, especially with that offense. Good offseason for the Brewers

Yuniesky Betancourt rumored to be going with Greinke to the Brewers

This appears to be one of those rare outstanding trades for both teams. I can't believe the Brewers are parting with Esobar, but like Kyle said, adding Greinke to a rotation that already features Gallardo, Marcum and Wolf makes them, IMO, the favorite in the Central (poor Cubs). And did the Royals get a f***ing package back or what? THAT'S how you do s*** (take notes KW if you have to deal Danks). They weren't winning s*** with Greinke. He didn't want to be there. So they get back a young, athletic, bible award potential (the Gold Glove is dead to me) SS with an improving bat and +speed. A major league ready OF who's been a consensus top 50-60 prospect for the last two years. And a major league ready young/electric arm that routinely hit 97-98 MPH who could start or close for them, giving them flexibility to deal Soria. GREAT deal for the Royals.

Former Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke has been traded to the Milwaukee Brewers, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Sunday morning.

In the deal, the Royals are reportedly acquiring Brewers outfielder Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar and pitching prospects Jake Odorizzi and Jeremy Jeffress for the 27-year-old Greinke, 10-14 with a 4.17 ERA in 2010 after winning the 2009 Cy Young.

Royals general manager Dayton Moore had been actively shopping for major league-ready, up-the-middle position players for Greinke.

Zack Greinke

#23 SP

Kansas City Royals

2010 STATS

GM

33 W

10 L

14 BB

55 K

181 ERA

The Brewers were expected to receive another major leaguer in the deal. Jim Breem of the blog "Bernie's Crew" reported that player to be shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt.

Jake Odorizzi

Born: 3/27/1990

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 175 lbs

Throws: R

With the 32nd pick of the 2008 First Year Player Draft, the Milwaukee Brewers took the right-handed Jake Odorizzi to improve the pitching depth in the minor leagues. It is extremely easy to see why the Crew selected the youngster so high in the draft. Not even 19-years old at this point, Jake has a repetoire of three (potentially four) pitches that project to be league-average or better. He throws a fastball that sits comfortably in the low-90s, but Brewerfan.net reports it can run up to 95-96 MPH. The right-hander also features a two-plane slider that serves as his out pitch and projects to be a plus-pitch and a diving curveball he can throw for strikes. As with all young Brewers pitchers, he is developing a change-up. It is a promising pitch, he does not quite have the feel for it yet. It could potentially be a fourth league-average pitch in his already impressive arsenal. A high-school pitcher with four relatively established pitches is very difficult to find, and many scouts believe Odorizzi could turn out to be one of the best pitchers of the draft.[/i]

Milwaukee JS

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
Jake Odorizzi

Born: 3/27/1990

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 175 lbs

Throws: R

With the 32nd pick of the 2008 First Year Player Draft, the Milwaukee Brewers took the right-handed Jake Odorizzi to improve the pitching depth in the minor leagues. It is extremely easy to see why the Crew selected the youngster so high in the draft. Not even 19-years old at this point, Jake has a repetoire of three (potentially four) pitches that project to be league-average or better. He throws a fastball that sits comfortably in the low-90s, but Brewerfan.net reports it can run up to 95-96 MPH. The right-hander also features a two-plane slider that serves as his out pitch and projects to be a plus-pitch and a diving curveball he can throw for strikes. As with all young Brewers pitchers, he is developing a change-up. It is a promising pitch, he does not quite have the feel for it yet. It could potentially be a fourth league-average pitch in his already impressive arsenal. A high-school pitcher with four relatively established pitches is very difficult to find, and many scouts believe Odorizzi could turn out to be one of the best pitchers of the draft.[/i]

Milwaukee JS

Thanks. I had never heard of the guy. Looks to have some serious upside.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
This deal makes me smile. The Yankees lose, and the Cubs road gets harder. What's not to like?

+ we don't have to face him anymore

+ the twins don't get him (which is what I was afraid of)

The Minnesota is going to be screwed if Pavano signs elsewhere. I love it.

More interesting tweets...

SI_JonHeyman

greinke told #royals he wouldnt mind going to #yankees days ago, tho family members had reservations. deal never close w/ nyy tho.

SI_JonHeyman

#royals had been talking about getting rhp drew storen, ss daniel espinosa, others from #nats. but greinke said no to washington