Greinke traded to the Brewers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:44 AM)
If Adam Dunn isn't Adam Dunn and Paul Konerko shows his age, the White Sox offense will be pretty mediocre at best.

Well hell, if you take ANY team's two best offensive weapons and say they have bad seasons, then their offenses will be mediocre. Kind of goes without saying.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
And in response, I can say the exact same thing about every NL team. "If Ryan Howard isn't Ryan Howard, and Utley can't stay healthy, the Phillies offense will be pretty mediocre".

I don't get what you're not understanding. Yes, I know any team will underperform offensively if their main guys struggle. But some teams have more margin for error than others.

Weeks

McGehee

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Gomez

Betancourt

Nieves/Kottaras

Pitcher

Carlos Gomez, as Sox fans know well, is a terrible offensive player. A career slashline of .246/.293/.349/.655 over 1420 career PAs. Betancourt, as EVERYBODY knows, is one of the worst players in the game. A career slashline of .272/.296/.393/.689. Catcher is obviously the most forgiving offensive position on the field. But going by the numbers, neither Nieves or Kottaras offers a thing offensively. So right there you're talking a minimum of 3 guys that project to be everyday players sporting sub-700 OPSs. Then you've got the pitcher and that's going to put A LOT of pressure on their top 5. Weeks and Hart had career years and McGehee came out of nowhere. They need those three guys to be every bit as good next year. Like no regression at all.

Edited by Jordan4life

Mainly, I think the Brewers need Fielder and Braun getting back to being among the best hitters in the league.

Among the others, George Kotteras had a BABIP of .209 last year - that's going to improve, even if it's just a little. He put up a .280ish BABIP in the minors, so he's a better hitter than he showed last year.

I think the main thing Milwaukee has to to at this point in time is to do whatever they can to have one of the best benches in the league, because any and all offense they can add to their team, just like any NL team, the better off they will be.