Happy New Year

Texsox

Going on a party boat along the Thames River, hopefully will have a very good view of the Fireworks that will be going off around Waterloo.

Comes with free food and drink and then we get club entry somewhere afterwards.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 01:27 AM)
2nd week of March. We'll be there the 5th through 12th, I believe.

You are a week early. The next week is "Texas Week", when the crowds really hit. Where are you staying? Have you signed up with any of the tour operators?

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
You are a week early. The next week is "Texas Week", when the crowds really hit. Where are you staying? Have you signed up with any of the tour operators?

We still haven't figured out what all we're doing when we come down there. I better figure it out pretty soon, hehe.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:22 PM)

We've leased out a condo of our own for the week. And ya, I've heard that Texas Week is insane, but we'll make the best of it. And no, I haven't looked much into what we'll be doing while down there. Any suggestions?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
The Apartment/Lionshead downtown. Never been there but heard good things. Looking forward to it.

I've been, it's a fun time in The Apartment. Only complaint I have about it is that it can be a sweatbox at times.

As for me? House party.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)
We've leased out a condo of our own for the week. And ya, I've heard that Texas Week is insane, but we'll make the best of it. And no, I haven't looked much into what we'll be doing while down there. Any suggestions?

The second biggest week is the week you are coming. Pretty cool week with people from further away. This will be the first time I recommend strongly *not* to go to Mexico. Usually I am a big fan. But the randomness and severity of the violence in Matamoros is just too much. If you do want to go to Mexico, Progresso, a longish one hour is so drive is safer.

Walk every where. Never have open liquor, even walking. The wrist bands that get you past the longer lines are not as big of a deal your week. The booze cruises are generally a waste of time. Too many drunks, not enough bathrooms. If you do, take Murphy's boat. Don't get sunburned. Rinse all the salt water off or you'll be looking like John Wayne stepping off a hoss. I know a few places to get away from the crowds if that's what you are looking for. Louis Backyard and the rest down the bayside have all the biggest parties. Chaos is usually a cool hangout. When you want to kickback PadreRitaVille (fiend owns it) will be more lowkey, but usually great singer/songwriters.

If you think of it, send me a pm when you are ready to leave, I'll have some up to date info. I am there all summer and a weekend or two every month during the rest of the year. Except March. Too hard to spend $150 for a room I booked for $29.99 the previous month. lol

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
The second biggest week is the week you are coming. Pretty cool week with people from further away. This will be the first time I recommend strongly *not* to go to Mexico. Usually I am a big fan. But the randomness and severity of the violence in Matamoros is just too much. If you do want to go to Mexico, Progresso, a longish one hour is so drive is safer.

Walk every where. Never have open liquor, even walking. The wrist bands that get you past the longer lines are not as big of a deal your week. The booze cruises are generally a waste of time. Too many drunks, not enough bathrooms. If you do, take Murphy's boat. Don't get sunburned. Rinse all the salt water off or you'll be looking like John Wayne stepping off a hoss. I know a few places to get away from the crowds if that's what you are looking for. Louis Backyard and the rest down the bayside have all the biggest parties. Chaos is usually a cool hangout. When you want to kickback PadreRitaVille (fiend owns it) will be more lowkey, but usually great singer/songwriters.

If you think of it, send me a pm when you are ready to leave, I'll have some up to date info. I am there all summer and a weekend or two every month during the rest of the year. Except March. Too hard to spend $150 for a room I booked for $29.99 the previous month. lol

Fantastic. I appreciate it. By "walk everywhere," do you mean parking is a b**** to find?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
Fantastic. I appreciate it. By "walk everywhere," do you mean parking is a b**** to find?

I mean everything is going to be really close. From "whatever they are calling Tequilla Frogs now" to Steamers (the "entertainment district") is well less than a mile. From bay to surf is less than a half mile. Most condos are across Padre Blvd from the district. Plus there is the free WAVE public trans and the Baptist Church has shuttle vans going everywhere. But there is no street party, open liquor areas. The cops shut that down hard and fast.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
I mean everything is going to be really close. From "whatever they are calling Tequilla Frogs now" to Steamers (the "entertainment district") is well less than a mile. From bay to surf is less than a half mile. Most condos are across Padre Blvd from the district. Plus there is the free WAVE public trans and the Baptist Church has shuttle vans going everywhere. But there is no street party, open liquor areas. The cops shut that down hard and fast.

We'll be staying on Lantana right off Padre Blvd. Anything good in the area?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
We'll be staying on Lantana right off Padre Blvd. Anything good in the area?

You are north of the bars by about a mile or so. Five blocks from Whataburger. The Wave will make it easy to get to the action. Padre Island brewing Company is about 6 or seven blocks south and then there are a steady line of bars the rest of the way. You will want to either catch the Wave down to the beach near the Isla Grande (was the Radisson), that's where the major corporate sponsors will set up entertainment. You could just hit the beach a block or two from your condo and walk on down or catch the Wave. Parking for the beach access points will be tough and the hotels guard their access for guests only. The entire beach is public.