Fill in for Peavy

joeynach

I think a lot of us are wondering what our team is going to do with Peavy in limbo for potentially half the season. I know most of us would prefer to find a better alternative than Freddy Garcia again and I think a solution may have just presented itself. The Brewers with a full 5 man rotation after acquiring Grienke and Marcum have broken off talks with Chris Capuano. While he missed the 2008-2009 seasons recovering from Tommy John surgery I think he might be a great fill in candidate and swing man for our team. Last year with the Brewers he compiled 66 IP between a couple spot starts as well as out of the pen and posted a 3.95 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9. While far removed from his full seasons of work in the 2005 and 2006 seasons I believe Capuano would be an serviceable and affordable candidate for this swing man role the sox need. He could easily make 10+ starts for the Sox while they wait to see what happens with Peavy's return, and can pitch out of bullpen as our 3rd lefty if/when Peavy returns. I think KW should make a play at him, something like 1 year 4M + Incentives should do it.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/brew...th-capuano.html

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
I think a lot of us are wondering what our team is going to do with Peavy in limbo for potentially half the season. I know most of us would prefer to find a better alternative than Freddy Garcia again and I think a solution may have just presented itself. The Brewers with a full 5 man rotation after acquiring Grienke and Marcum have broken off talks with Chris Capuano. While he missed the 2008-2009 seasons recovering from Tommy John surgery I think he might be a great fill in candidate and swing man for our team. Last year with the Brewers he compiled 66 IP between a couple spot starts as well as out of the pen and posted a 3.95 ERA with 7.4 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9. While far removed from his full seasons of work in the 2005 and 2006 seasons I believe Capuano would be an serviceable and affordable candidate for this swing man role the sox need. He could easily make 10+ starts for the Sox while they wait to see what happens with Peavy's return, and can pitch out of bullpen as our 3rd lefty if/when Peavy returns. I think KW should make a play at him, something like 1 year 4M + Incentives should do it.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/brew...th-capuano.html

Capuano's gonna get nowhere near 4 million.

So outside of Sale (who I think is being counted on for the back end of the bullpen) our options A & B are Lucas Harrell and Carlos Torres?

I agree in that assuming Peavy will be out until May or later, we need a 6th starter type option who can be had on the cheap to eat innings and back up our other arms. Looking at who's out there, who among these names could be had on the "Freddy Garcia" type contract we could offer them? What about minor league deals?

Courtesy of MLBtraderumors.com:

Brian Bannister (30)

Jeremy Bonderman (28)

Brian Burres (30)

Dave Bush (31)

Bruce Chen (34)

Doug Davis (35)

Justin Duchscherer (33)

Jeff Francis (29)

Freddy Garcia (35)

Braden Looper (36)

Rodrigo Lopez (35)

John Maine (30)

Pedro Martinez (39)

Kevin Millwood (36)

Brian Moehler (39)

Carl Pavano (35)

Brad Penny (33)

Andy Pettitte (39)

Nate Robertson (33)

Ben Sheets (32)

Ian Snell (29)

Jeff Suppan (36)

Jarrod Washburn (36)

Todd Wellemeyer (32)

Chris Young (32)

Now a lot of these guys are/were god awful, and those who weren't will be signed up by teams with more pressing needs than a temporary 5th starter, but if you were looking for a lottery ticket or an insurance policy, is there one in there?

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 02:48 AM)
So outside of Sale (who I think is being counted on for the back end of the bullpen) our options A & B are Lucas Harrell and Carlos Torres?

I agree in that assuming Peavy will be out until May or later, we need a 6th starter type option who can be had on the cheap to eat innings and back up our other arms. Looking at who's out there, who among these names could be had on the "Freddy Garcia" type contract we could offer them? What about minor league deals?

Courtesy of MLBtraderumors.com:

Brian Bannister (30)

Jeremy Bonderman (28)

Brian Burres (30)

Dave Bush (31)

Bruce Chen (34)

Doug Davis (35)

Justin Duchscherer (33)

Jeff Francis (29)

Freddy Garcia (35)

Braden Looper (36)

Rodrigo Lopez (35)

John Maine (30)

Pedro Martinez (39)

Kevin Millwood (36)

Brian Moehler (39)

Carl Pavano (35)

Brad Penny (33)

Andy Pettitte (39)

Nate Robertson (33)

Ben Sheets (32)

Ian Snell (29)

Jeff Suppan (36)

Jarrod Washburn (36)

Todd Wellemeyer (32)

Chris Young (32)

Now a lot of these guys are/were god awful, and those who weren't will be signed up by teams with more pressing needs than a temporary 5th starter, but if you were looking for a lottery ticket or an insurance policy, is there one in there?

I'd take a flier on almost any one of those guys and consider it about the same as a Garcia signing. There are a lot of guys with fix'em potential in there, notably Maine, Bondo, Young, and Penny. I think I'd rather have Garcia, though, just because of familiarity. If Coop were high on pretty much any of that list, though, I'd be totally fine with most of those stopgaps.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 02:05 AM)
Brian Bannister? Gulp. Maybe?

Please no Bruce Chen.

I actually think Freddy would be a good option. He's got decent stuff for 4-5 innings.

I'd take Freddy, too. My concern is that he might actually get a decent amount of cash...maybe upwards of $4 or $5 million. However, I thought he would have signed by now. I'd be okay with Freddy for 1/$3 million.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
Isn't Tony Pena the guy most likely to take over for Peavy until he's ready? Esp, coming from Spring Training, Pena will be stretched out. He's not ideal. But then he'd go to the bullpen [hopefully] when Peavy is healthy.

I think Sale probably will...but you're right on Pena being a possible 7th starter option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
I think Sale probably will...but you're right on Pena being a possible 7th starter option.

I still don't think The Sox will need a fill in for Peavy for very long if at all. If they do need one I think the Sale or Pena options will work as it will be a short time.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
Freddie Garcia would be a good alternative and we don't need to be trading our pitching staff away. That is our strength. Create a hole there and what do you do?

It is interesting that we haven't really heard anything from Garcia since the Yankees asked for his medical records.

I'd rather see someone else pitch in the 5th starter spot instead of Sale (rather see him locking down the bullpen while gaining more experience) or Pena (ehhhhhhh, and rather see him lock down the bullpen)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox sign Capuano to a cheap contract. Or even Duchscherer. I actually think Duchscherer could pitch very well for the Sox on a cheap contract, especially since he already pitched in the AL.

Put me in the camp that hopes for Peavy to be back in MAY the latest!

In the recent article on the official site Merkin speculated Kenny "Williams still appears to be in search of another low-cost starter or another veteran reliever"

If you ask me he's probably waiting it out to have a better idea about Jake's return.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
It is interesting that we haven't really heard anything from Garcia since the Yankees asked for his medical records.

I think the Sox were also interested in those records. Don't you think if it wasn't positive though we would have heard THAT by now?