Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Well, they are both working, so that is what I am going with for now. We'll see when my girlfriend gets home if she buys the magic.

Tell her your a magician and that you'll show her a magic trick later.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:08 AM)
Other note: Don't drink so much the night before the wedding that you black out, faceplant in the hallway outside your hotel room, scuff up your face in a few places, and then have to wear makeup to cover it up for the wedding pictures.

The 3 or 4 guys in my fraternity who got married either during or just after college (while I was still in college) had their bachelor parties a week or two before their wedding. It loses some of the luster because the wedding isn't like literally the next day, but you still have your one last crazy night as a bachelor. On top of that, the groom and groomsmen don't have to worry about being hungover the day of the wedding, they can go absolutely crazy and any battle scars should be healed for the wedding.

Of course, it doesn't always work that well because a lot of people can't make two separate long distance trips, but if all or most of the groomsmen and those others that you want at the bachelor party are in the area, it's at least something to consider.

Edited by witesoxfan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
So I'm the best man at my brothers wedding next weekend and I need to make a speech obviously. I've only been to two weddings as an adult so I don't really have a lot of wedding experience to go on here. Any suggestions for what makes a good/bad speech? How long should it be? Stuff that should be off-limits? Etc...I want it to be kind of funny or amusing and not to bore people but I want to make sure I'm appropriate. I've been kind of stressing about this because I'm just not exactly sure what to say at the moment. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated.

I'd avoid talking about the groom's former girlfriends or other such escapades.

Yes, I've seen this happen.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 20, 2011 -> 12:08 AM)
Other note: Don't drink so much the night before the wedding that you black out, faceplant in the hallway outside your hotel room, scuff up your face in a few places, and then have to wear makeup to cover it up for the wedding pictures.

Don't drink until your done with the toast either. Trust me on this.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)

He's probably going to want to have a couple to loosen up. Maybe get a nice little buzz going to help with the awkwardness of speaking publicly.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 20, 2011 -> 02:28 PM)
He's probably going to want to have a couple to loosen up. Maybe get a nice little buzz going to help with the awkwardness of speaking publicly.

I'm thinking he means during the speech. I'm definitely going to have a few beforehand. My family isn't the issue, but I don't know hers almost at all and they are pretty conservative from what I understand (my family and our friends are not) so that's what has me a little on edge.

Anyways, thanks all for the advice.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 20, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm thinking he means during the speech. I'm definitely going to have a few beforehand. My family isn't the issue, but I don't know hers almost at all and they are pretty conservative from what I understand (my family and our friends are not) so that's what has me a little on edge.

Anyways, thanks all for the advice.

No more than a few, especially if there's a videographer. You've got all night to party, and slurred, rambling incoherence is something you don't want preserved for posterity. Keep to "the script," and keep it short.

Good luck, relax, and have fun! Having set the all time bar extremely low, I'm sure you'll do fine (at least by my comparison).

I've had to make 2 best man speeches in my entire life. One was at my best friend's wedding who I have known since 2nd grade. It wasn't too bad.

The other one was for my wife's (then GF) sister and her husband. At the time we had only been dating for about 2.5 years. So I didn't really "know" him all that well. I mumbled a few words, wished them luck and happiness and that was about it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 19, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
Switched outlets are fairly common, at least in older homes that were built without ceiling fans and light fixtures. That way you can turn on a floor lamp when you walk into the room instead of stumbling around in the dark.

But my house is wired similarly. I found out the other day that the mystery breaker in my panel is for the power to half of the basement and half of the upstairs living room.

For a while I couldn't use the outside outlet in the front of my house for my weed whacker and I had no idea why, and I also couldn't plug in my Christmas lights. Then (coincidentally a couple of hours after I tried the Christmas lights and left them plugged in) I went to go trim my hair and my shaver wouldn't turn on or charge and I noticed the small breaker on the outlet in my upstairs bathroom was out for some reason. I pressed it in. Then I went back outside to go to the car and I saw the Christmas lights on. I turned the breaker off and the lights went back off, etc. I have NO IDEA why those two things are connected since my bathroom is not even remotely close to the front door.

In a few minutes I'm headed to Tinley Park as my good friend talked me into going with him to one of those Charitable Games poker tourneys they hold all the time. Last time i went to a charity poker tourney i sat there for an hour and never saw a card higher than a 9 and no pairs. needless to say....i didn't last too long. Its only $20 so it's not necessarily the money but i would at least like to play a few hands maybe even win a hand or two. sigh....good luck to me.

QUOTE (juddling @ May 22, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
In a few minutes I'm headed to Tinley Park as my good friend talked me into going with him to one of those Charitable Games poker tourneys they hold all the time. Last time i went to a charity poker tourney i sat there for an hour and never saw a card higher than a 9 and no pairs. needless to say....i didn't last too long. Its only $20 so it's not necessarily the money but i would at least like to play a few hands maybe even win a hand or two. sigh....good luck to me.

How'd it go?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
How'd it go?

About as good as i expected which wasn't good at all. i was surprised how quickly the blinds were raised. I bet a few hands and couldn't catch a flop. then down low in chips i had pocket 9's and flop was something like 2 5 8 rainbow so i bet half my stack. one guy called with a K 2 off suit and caught another 2 to beat me. That wasn't the worst. the worst was some little douchbag sat next to me, reeking of smoke and alcohol talking s*** about winning on the boats for the last 24 hours. I was big blind and he was small blind. he raised to put me all in. i called and he throws over a 5 8 off suit while i have A Q suited. Not only does the douchbag luck out and flop two pair he has the nerve to talk a little s*** after winning.

I broke the house 'no swearing' rule and told him to shut the f*** up and take his money. he mumbled something and i told him playing cards like that there was no way he could win at the boats.

I rode with a friend so sat in the bar watching the sox play while my friend played. I felt a bit better as i saw the douchbag leaving about 15 minutes after i was out.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 23, 2011 -> 08:41 PM)
Anyone lacrosse fans on the board? I have really fallen in love with the sport since I started doing play by play for our team.

:headbang Absolutely. I played from kindergarten through high school... and am now a certified NCAA referee, though as I'm only 23, I haven't officiated anything higher than the DIII level.

I feel like you're one in a long line of people that fall in love with the sport once they actually watch it and get to know it. Being in the South (where it's growing a lot, but still not popular), I remember friends' parents who were quick to dismiss it until their kid started playing, and then they realized how awesome of a game it is. My best friend's mom was so upset that he quit baseball to play lacrosse when we were in 7th grade and then years later she thanked me for getting him into the game b/c she really loved watching him play.

I need some CD ripping advice.

I want to go through and rip all of my CDs to an external hard drive. I have decided that I am going to rip each CD to a FLAC file and an MP3 file. I found software that can do BOTH at the same time on a Mac. Here's my quandry, it gives me the option to include the track number in front of the file name. So, each file would be [track number] [song title].mp3. I am not sure I like that because if i try to sort the files by name, it will sort by track number, not song title.

Should I include the track number? The FLAC and MP3 files will include all of the album data embedded in them, so i wont lose the correct order.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 24, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
I need some CD ripping advice.

I want to go through and rip all of my CDs to an external hard drive. I have decided that I am going to rip each CD to a FLAC file and an MP3 file. I found software that can do BOTH at the same time on a Mac. Here's my quandry, it gives me the option to include the track number in front of the file name. So, each file would be [track number] [song title].mp3. I am not sure I like that because if i try to sort the files by name, it will sort by track number, not song title.

Should I include the track number? The FLAC and MP3 files will include all of the album data embedded in them, so i wont lose the correct order.

I hope you have a lot if storage space, because FLAC files are huge.

OK, so I recently deleted a folder of songs from my computer on accident. They're gone for good, so don't even worry about restoring them. I used a program a few years ago when my computer crashed to take the songs from my iPod and put them back on the computer. I want to do that again, so that I don't have to go and download every single song I lost.

My question is this. Are there any free programs like this? The one I used made me sign up for a one-year subscription for 30 bucks. That time frame has passed and I would rather not have to pay.