Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 01:06 AM)
I still have no clue what the God particle even is.

The Subatomic particle that is responsible for basically the existence of "Mass". In other words, it pretty much makes up...everything.

It's just been really, really, really hard to detect up until now. The difficulty of detecting it and the fact that it seems so important, causing "Mass", is where that name has come from.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
The Subatomic particle that is responsible for basically the existence of "Mass". In other words, it pretty much makes up...everything.

It's just been really, really, really hard to detect up until now. The difficulty of detecting it and the fact that it seems so important, causing "Mass", is where that name has come from.

Here's a different, somewhat-readable, 2 page writeup of where this particle sits in modern physics thinking.

So, here's a more specific, much more vague sounding statement out of CERN, not nearly as confident as people were predicting they'd be.

“Over the last few weeks we have started to see an intriguing excess of events,” explained Fabiola Gianotti, a spokesperson from CERN’s ATLAS experiment, one of the six experiments running on CERN’s Large Hadron Collider, the world’s largest particle accelerator.

Gianotti continued: “This excess may be due to a fluctuation, but it could also be something more interesting. We cannot conclude anything at this stage.”

Ok, even I don't know what I'm supposed to see in that graph.

I'm kinda hoping that the part before the first blue line represents Adam Dunn's production in 2011, the part between the blue lines his production in 2012, and the part after the second blue line is his production in 2013.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
I think I have a very vague idea of what it's showing. The green band is 1-sigma and the yellow band is 2-sigma confidence levels, and it plots expected vs. observed energy?

Actually, I got that part, but the energy region being discussed for the "possible Higgs" is in the range of 125 GEV, and there is no peak highlighted on there. There are 2 vertical blue bars, one of which seems to show a discontinuity in the LHC spectrum at ~220 GEV which is predicted, and a small but possibly significant outside the margin of error peak around 160 GEV...neither of which are in the range of the supposed "possible Higgs".

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
I'm kinda hoping that the part before the first blue line represents Adam Dunn's production in 2011, the part between the blue lines his production in 2012, and the part after the second blue line is his production in 2013.

Unfortunately that would mean Adam Dunn's 2012 production was still incredibly bad.

Pennies make me angry. I'd rather have $0.00 than $0.01.

I actually find myself paying with my debit card even when I have enough cash, just to avoid getting pennies.

=====

Eliminating pennies and dollar bills is a good start, but I'd go further.

Eliminate dimes, half-dollars, ten dollar bills, and fifty dollar bills.

All the currency you need are nickels, quarters, dollar coins, fives, twenties, and hundreds. Though unnecessary, I would keep the $2 bill around to appease the people who hate coins so much.

Also may want to consider putting the $500 bill back into circulation due to inflation.