Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My homeowner's association just sent me a letter with a bunch of trivial s*** that I have no intentions of doing. a) you didn't ask me if you could put the ugly ass fence in my backyard, so I'm not removing the grapevine, and besides, that's better than the WEEDS growing on it and b) It sounded like you said you were gonna pay to fix the shingles that blew off my roof? No? Oh. Shut the f*** up.

Can anybody explain this?

My bathroom light fixture has a fan in it, on the wall there is a separate switch for the fan and light. The bulb burned out so I replaced it with one of the corkscrew bulbs. Now, the switch that used to turn on the light does nothing, and the switch that turned the fan on turns on the fan and the light.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
Can anybody explain this?

My bathroom light fixture has a fan in it, on the wall there is a separate switch for the fan and light. The bulb burned out so I replaced it with one of the corkscrew bulbs. Now, the switch that used to turn on the light does nothing, and the switch that turned the fan on turns on the fan and the light.

I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what you mean, but is there a chance that one of the switches is like a master one? I mean, in my house there are two switches to turn on the light for the basement stairs. One is at the top and the other is in the basement. The one in the basement won't turn the light on unless the switch upstairs is already on.

I assume you already fiddled with it, but maybe it's similar?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (knightni @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
Sounds like a wiring issue, not a light bulb issue.

But it worked fine 30 minutes ago???

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
I'm having a hard time picturing exactly what you mean, but is there a chance that one of the switches is like a master one? I mean, in my house there are two switches to turn on the light for the basement stairs. One is at the top and the other is in the basement. The one in the basement won't turn the light on unless the switch upstairs is already on.

I assume you already fiddled with it, but maybe it's similar?

There is a switch for the fan and a switch for the light. They were independent, now one switch turns both on and the other does nothing.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
But it worked fine 30 minutes ago???

There is a switch for the fan and a switch for the light. They were independent, now one switch turns both on and the other does nothing.

That is weird. I'd have to go with knight, then.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Have you tried swapping out the lightbulb with a regular incandescent again?

Yes and its still screwed up. I do not understand what could have changed. It seems so strange to me that one switch now turns both on.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Yes and its still screwed up. I do not understand what could have changed. It seems so strange to me that one switch now turns both on.

Maybe try posting a question on answers.com.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)

Yeah that's bizarre, the different features should be wired to the different switches, just like a ceiling fan with a light. Maybe there's some switch or button on the light fixture itself that got bumped?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
Or not worrying about it and assuming it is some magical force. That's what they would have done 200 years ago, and they lived much simpler lives.

Well, they are both working, so that is what I am going with for now. We'll see when my girlfriend gets home if she buys the magic.

So I'm the best man at my brothers wedding next weekend and I need to make a speech obviously. I've only been to two weddings as an adult so I don't really have a lot of wedding experience to go on here. Any suggestions for what makes a good/bad speech? How long should it be? Stuff that should be off-limits? Etc...I want it to be kind of funny or amusing and not to bore people but I want to make sure I'm appropriate. I've been kind of stressing about this because I'm just not exactly sure what to say at the moment. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
So I'm the best man at my brothers wedding next weekend and I need to make a speech obviously. I've only been to two weddings as an adult so I don't really have a lot of wedding experience to go on here. Any suggestions for what makes a good/bad speech? How long should it be? Stuff that should be off-limits? Etc...I want it to be kind of funny or amusing and not to bore people but I want to make sure I'm appropriate. I've been kind of stressing about this because I'm just not exactly sure what to say at the moment. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated.

I scribbled some lines for my best man speech down while sitting beside a pool the afternoon before the wedding, just a general idea of what I wanted to say. I told the story of the first time we met my friend's fiance, which was a humorous story, and it lasted maybe 2 or 3 minutes. Hard to say, I was buzzed at that point.

The problem with the light switch sounds like something that would happen at my house. We are pretty sure that whoever wired the electrical in our house was either drunk or a moron. Possibly both.

We have at least three switches in our house that turn the power on and off to an outlet. So if you have something plugged into that outlet (like a TV) and hit the switch, it gets turned off. One of these is the single outlet in our bathroom. So it's impossible for us to have a nightlight in there.

When they remolded our kitchen last year they found that some of the wiring in the kitchen was connected with the lights in the basement. They re-wired the kitchen to pass code and now half the lights in the basement don't work.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
The problem with the light switch sounds like something that would happen at my house. We are pretty sure that whoever wired the electrical in our house was either drunk or a moron. Possibly both.

We have at least three switches in our house that turn the power on and off to an outlet. So if you have something plugged into that outlet (like a TV) and hit the switch, it gets turned off. One of these is the single outlet in our bathroom. So it's impossible for us to have a nightlight in there.

When they remolded our kitchen last year they found that some of the wiring in the kitchen was connected with the lights in the basement. They re-wired the kitchen to pass code and now half the lights in the basement don't work.

Switched outlets are fairly common, at least in older homes that were built without ceiling fans and light fixtures. That way you can turn on a floor lamp when you walk into the room instead of stumbling around in the dark.

But my house is wired similarly. I found out the other day that the mystery breaker in my panel is for the power to half of the basement and half of the upstairs living room.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 19, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)

Don't talk about throwing up at any point (heard this one a couple weeks ago by a MOH while salad was on the tables, most awkward thing ever). Don't reference how drunk he was at the bachelor party, or anything like that. Don't make it a roast - maybe a joke or two, but nothing about old girlfriends or anything, and try to avoid inside jokes only a few people will get.

Tell everyone what your brother means to you and how he's impacted your life, some of your best memories with/about him (maybe one is funny but appropriate) etc. And pay some compliments to the bride towards the end.

Keep it to like 4 mins or so. And whatever you do have a good closing line/thought.

I actually gave the best man speech at my brother's wedding a couple months ago. I kept it brief (1 minute, maybe 1.5 minutes), told a little anecdote about my brother and I and tied it into his wife. The biggest thing is BE BRIEF. No one wants a long speech. Also, don't be too drunk when you give it...pace yourself beforehand, and go crazy afterwards.

Other note: Don't drink so much the night before the wedding that you black out, faceplant in the hallway outside your hotel room, scuff up your face in a few places, and then have to wear makeup to cover it up for the wedding pictures.