Catch All Anything Thread

kapkomet

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 11:44 PM)
Just got home from there. I know peeps working the beer tent so the cover charge was worth it. It was like a Chicago singles party in a parking lot with tons of beer, the eye candy was flowing!!!

Yeah I guess a ton of people meet their future husband/wife there, they talk about that every year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
Hawks game.

I'm game.

Facebook Sidebar is GARBAGE. Easily the worst change they've ever made.... this and similar things they do all the time are why Google+ has 10 million users already. Facebook's going to run off its user base and give Google a bunch of free momentum.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
Facebook Sidebar is GARBAGE. Easily the worst change they've ever made.... this and similar things they do all the time are why Google+ has 10 million users already. Facebook's going to run off its user base and give Google a bunch of free momentum.

Agreed that the Sidebar is a terrible and useless modification. But the change I have hated the most in the last year or so has been doing away with the dialog box on your profile page that used to let you put a little statement or quote or bit of information about yourself.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Agreed that the Sidebar is a terrible and useless modification. But the change I have hated the most in the last year or so has been doing away with the dialog box on your profile page that used to let you put a little statement or quote or bit of information about yourself.

It's more than useless, it effectively disables Facebook chat unless you want to manually type in the URL for popout chat or type with the 10 people they selected for you to chat with without your input.

And the thing you mentioned, I don't even know why they got rid of that. They do things just to do them sometimes. They always just kind of hand-waved over it like "where else are you going to go?"

ummm... Google Chrome... who, by the way, has competent programmers.

I just want to say, Google Earth is the coolest thing ever. I used it a long time ago, but now, with the endless supply of pictures from anywhere in the world, it's even more incredible

On a similar note, why doesn't this board have a dedicated travel thread?

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 08:43 PM)
I just want to say, Google Earth is the coolest thing ever. I used it a long time ago, but now, with the endless supply of pictures from anywhere in the world, it's even more incredible

Because you touch yourself at night.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)

I was checking out places like Tehran and Pyongyang. They look nothing at all like you probably think they look like. At least not for me. I don't know what kind of picture I had about Moscow in my head, but that city is really, really advanced, as much as NYC, Paris, or any Western city, or even Tokyo for that matter.

I love to travel, maybe you should start a thread, that's a decent idea.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 06:59 AM)
I was checking out places like Tehran and Pyongyang. They look nothing at all like you probably think they look like. At least not for me. I don't know what kind of picture I had about Moscow in my head, but that city is really, really advanced, as much as NYC, Paris, or any Western city, or even Tokyo for that matter.

I love to travel, maybe you should start a thread, that's a decent idea.

Maybe it's because I know how horrible the life is there, but I think the pictures of Pyongyang look creepy as Hell. Where are all the f***ing people?!? It seems like every picture, except for the ones of the Subways which are oddly the nicest I've ever seen, are completely desolate. I've seen pictures of highways, and monuments, and palaces, and temples, and just random streets on nice, sunny days, where there simply aren't any people. Any place in the west, such areas of town would be full of people frolicking in the sun and enjoying life. But not there (and there are 3 million people who supposedly live there). And then you've got the unfinished Ryugyong Hotel looming over the city, seemingly reminding everyone what a crappy system they live under.

I don't know what you thought that city looked like, but it's sort of as I expected. North Korea is different from say, Afghanistan, where they don't pave the roads, and they can't seem to build the buildings straight, and the people look obviously dirty and poor. North Korea seemingly tries to put on a semblance of normalcy, yet fails. It's not a dangerous place as far as I know. In fact, follow the rules and you're sure to be OK. It's more just an extreme version of Big Brother/1984. And try not to blue falcon (lostfan will know what this means) your obligatory guide.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
Maybe it's because I know how horrible the life is there, but I think the pictures of Pyongyang look creepy as Hell. Where are all the f***ing people?!? It seems like every picture, except for the ones of the Subways which are oddly the nicest I've ever seen, are completely desolate. I've seen pictures of highways, and monuments, and palaces, and temples, and just random streets on nice, sunny days, where there simply aren't any people. Any place in the west, such areas of town would be full of people frolicking in the sun and enjoying life. But not there (and there are 3 million people who supposedly live there). And then you've got the unfinished Ryugyong Hotel looming over the city, seemingly reminding everyone what a crappy system they live under.

I don't know what you thought that city looked like, but it's sort of as I expected. North Korea is different from say, Afghanistan, where they don't pave the roads, and they can't seem to build the buildings straight, and the people look obviously dirty and poor. North Korea seemingly tries to put on a semblance of normalcy, yet fails. It's not a dangerous place as far as I know. In fact, follow the rules and you're sure to be OK. It's more just an extreme version of Big Brother/1984. And try not to blue falcon (lostfan will know what this means) your obligatory guide.

I thought it'd look like an impoverished hellhole with mediocre architecture and crumbling buildings and infrastructure. It looked like a modern city, I guess I kind of figured it would look like the pictures of the Cuban countryside that we see here (Cuba is a place I'd someday love to visit if things ever changed to the point where I could). I don't know how they got all those things with their borderline non-existent economy. I guess the trade with China helps them out a lot.

The picture I had in my head of Tehran looked like a typical sterile medium-sized Middle Eastern city with no personality. It's not like that at all. Then I forget that Iran/Persia is thousands of years old and it's only been what it is now for slightly longer than I've been alive and before that it had a lot of Western influence. They basically have everything we have over there.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 02:52 PM)
I thought it'd look like an impoverished hellhole with mediocre architecture and crumbling buildings and infrastructure. It looked like a modern city, I guess I kind of figured it would look like the pictures of the Cuban countryside that we see here (Cuba is a place I'd someday love to visit if things ever changed to the point where I could). I don't know how they got all those things with their borderline non-existent economy. I guess the trade with China helps them out a lot.

The picture I had in my head of Tehran looked like a typical sterile medium-sized Middle Eastern city with no personality. It's not like that at all. Then I forget that Iran/Persia is thousands of years old and it's only been what it is now for slightly longer than I've been alive and before that it had a lot of Western influence. They basically have everything we have over there.

Have you noticed the small-ish set of hills-moderate topography in what I believe was the northern half of Tehran?

At some point those hills are going to demolish the rest of the city.

Google Earth is wonderful for Geology; you don't need to license satellite photos to use it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)

Yeah, it is surprising that Pyongyang and Tehran don't look like run down s***holes. But at the same time, they still creep me out. Tehran might look nice, but with the underlying Islamic lunacy, I don't really have any plans to travel there. Also, Riyadh is definitely on my skip list, along with the rest of Saudi Arabia. I love to travel, and to weird places too, but Saudi Arabia just sounds horrible. Islamic fundamentalism isn't fun.

A few Middle East cities that I really want to see are Jerusalem, Istanbul and Cairo. Me and my girlfriend have created a plan to take at least one foreign vacation a year, and Istanbul's high on that list. Cairo is somewhere I would like to go as well, and I believe it would be far from the "typical sterile Middle Eastern city with no personality", but in light of Arab Spring, I think I'm going to avoid it for a while.

If you want to see another interesting set of pictures on Google Earth, go to the South Bronx and pick out some of the ones from the late eighties and early nineties (such as here, here and here). There are many more like these in that area from that time period. You expect that sort of scenery in Chechnya or Mogadishu, but in New York City? Only miles away from the riches of Manhattan? Freaky.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
If you want to see another interesting set of pictures on Google Earth, go to the South Bronx and pick out some of the ones from the late eighties and early nineties (such as here, here and here). There are many more like these in that area from that time period. You expect that sort of scenery in Chechnya or Mogadishu, but in New York City? Only miles away from the riches of Manhattan? Freaky.

I take it you haven't visited modern day Detroit recently. It's all that and worse. Abandoned skyscrapers and all.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 06:23 AM)
I take it you haven't visited modern day Detroit recently. It's all that and worse. Abandoned skyscrapers and all.

To be totally honest, I'm just gonna assume every horrible thing I've ever heard about Detroit and avoid it entirely.

This might sound weird, but the thing I find fascinating about cities like Chicago and New York is that they're sort of...umm...Gotham-esque. Those pictures of the South Bronx, and the horror stories I've heard about Cabrini Green and the Robert Taylor Homes, all that crap happened within mere miles of beautiful, wealthy downtown areas like Manhattan and the Mag Mile. I find pictures like this one really interesting, with this girl so close yet so far.

But Detroit doesn't have any of that duality. The whole place just sucks.