Neal Cotts

VAfan

Here's the box. Awesome. Since we're off in 5 days, we could let him have one more AA start, then bring him up on the 12th. He's right on the 5th starter's schedule.

Southern League

Saturday, August 2 Updated: 08-02-03 23:48 ET

Birmingham 5, Huntsville 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOX SCORE

HUNTSVILLE (1) AT BIRMINGHAM (5)

HUNTSVILLE AB R H BI BIRMINGHAM AB R H BI

R Knox LF 4 0 0 0 C Durham CF 2 1 0 0

D Krynzel CF 4 0 0 0 D Sandoval 2B 3 1 1 1

J HARDY SS 3 0 1 0 J Reed DH 3 1 1 1

C Hart 3B 4 1 0 0 G Alvarez 1B 3 1 2 2

N Varner RF 4 0 2 0 S Bikowski RF 4 0 2 0

B Gemoll DH 3 0 0 0 C Maldonado C 3 0 0 1

B Nelson 1B 4 0 1 1 J Hamilton LF 3 0 1 0

K Johnson C 4 0 1 0 G Reyes SS 3 0 0 0

A Machado 2B 2 0 0 0 J Shaffer 3B 3 1 0 0

TOTALS 32 1 5 1 TOTALS 27 5 7 5

HUNTSVILLE 000 000 001 -- 1

BIRMINGHAM 100 040 00x -- 5

E--G Reyes. DP--HUNTSVILLE 2. LOB--HUNTSVILLE 7,

BIRMINGHAM 7. 2B--G Alvarez, D Sandoval, J Reed.

SB--S Bikowski 1 (3), J Reed 1 (11). S--C Durham,

A Machado. SF--C Maldonado.

IP H R ER BB SO HR

HUNTSVILLE

D Nolasco (L,0-2) 5 6 5 5 4 3 0

B Adams 3 1 0 0 1 1 0

BIRMINGHAM

N Cotts (W,9-6) 7 3 0 0 0 7 0

M Smith 1 1 0 0 0 2 0

J Meyer 1 1 1 1 1 0 0

WP--J Meyer. HBP--J HARDY by J Meyer, J Reed by D

Nolasco, G Reyes by B Adams. SO--HUN: D Krynzel 2,

K Johnson 2, B Nelson 2, R Knox, A Machado, J

HARDY. BIR: G Reyes, G Alvarez, C Maldonado, C

Durham. BB--HUN: B Gemoll. BIR: J Hamilton, J

Shaffer, G Alvarez, D Sandoval, C Durham. T--2:40.

A--4,904.

So Rex, did you see the Barons' game?  You're the Cotts man.  How did he avoid the free passes tonight?  Could we expect him to baffle the Angels in 10 days?

Yes, I saw it and the best way to describe it is that he just carved him up.

The one thing that Neal does is avoid the middle of the plate. He works both the outer and inner third of the plate and leaves the middle alone. His strength is that he uses all 4 quadrants, working up and down as well as in and out.

Tonight, he just threw strikes and went after hitters. He knows how to set them up and hits his spots. When he does make mistakes, they usually aren't in the middle of the plate.

I would not be surprised at all for him to make his Major League debut in Anaheim. But they may give Danny one more shot, since he actually pitched well for 5 innings. Hell, if he was pitching in any of the Sox other games lately, he has a 6-3 lead going into the 6th. You pitch differently in that situation.

The one thing that Neal does is avoid the middle of the plate.  He works both the outer and inner third of the plate and leaves the middle alone.  His strength is that he uses all 4 quadrants, working up and down as well as in and out. 

Tonight, he just threw strikes and went after hitters.  He knows how to set them up and hits his spots.  When he does make mistakes, they usually aren't in the middle of the plate. 

I would not be surprised at all for him to make his Major League debut in Anaheim.  But they may give Danny one more shot, since he actually pitched well for 5 innings.  Hell, if he was pitching in any of the Sox other games lately, he has a 6-3 lead going into the 6th.  You pitch differently in that situation.

Rex, Danny was getting away with a lot of stuff in those five innings. He was constantlt falling behind the hitters, and a couple of outs were just line shots right at a player.

The one thing that Neal does is avoid the middle of the plate.  He works both the outer and inner third of the plate and leaves the middle alone.  His strength is that he uses all 4 quadrants, working up and down as well as in and out. 

Tonight, he just threw strikes and went after hitters.  He knows how to set them up and hits his spots.  When he does make mistakes, they usually aren't in the middle of the plate. 

I would not be surprised at all for him to make his Major League debut in Anaheim.  But they may give Danny one more shot, since he actually pitched well for 5 innings.  Hell, if he was pitching in any of the Sox other games lately, he has a 6-3 lead going into the 6th.  You pitch differently in that situation.

Rex, Danny was getting away with a lot of stuff in those five innings. He was constantlt falling behind the hitters, and a couple of outs were just line shots right at a player.

Gotcha........... sounds like you very well may see Cotts on the 12th then

Gotcha........... sounds like you very well may see Cotts on the 12th then

I'd have to agree with that move if it was made.

Let's remember back to 2000, when Mark Buehrle was called up from Birmingham and took off from there.

Perhaps we could see the same thing with Neal, they've gotta give him a shot.

Jimmy Gobble, just up from AA for KC, shut out the Rays through 6 today.

I certainly hope the Sox see the value of going with a hot AA pitcher down the stretch. One thing these guys have going for them is they are complete unknowns to the hitters. Cotts could get through 6 before they have a chance to even start to figure out what he's throwing, and by then, he's on to the next team and the next start!