Teixeira: Pettitte Leaning Toward Retirement

shago

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)
Teams that invest in Dunn and Konerko and Crain don't trade dependable starters for prospects. Its counterintuitive. You dump for kids if you are going that way, you just pushed the chips in the middle of the table. And this nonsense of the patchwork 5th starter is just insane. You obviously don't remember the 5th starter by committe garbage we had with Danny Wright and company. Sale is barely removed from being drafted. Let him stretch it out a bit and learn in the pen. Lets hedge our bets on what is really there. Not some mythical unicorn sighting.

Who is suggesting we dump starters for prospects?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
Didn't you? Danks for the Yankees package.

First and foremost I want a package around Gardner, but I also said I would love the suggested package of Joba, Nova, Romine, and Betances. Those are 2 prospects (both top prospects), and 2 good looking arms that can both start, but Joba is looking more like a bullpen arm. 2 of the 4 are (top) prospects, and the other 2 are guys that would immediately impact the 2011 team.

Cooper -- in a totally dick move, IMO -- mentioned on the radio today that Peavy looks great and may be ready for Spring Training. Yeah, he said Spring Training, he's probably wrong and is getting my hopes up just to have them dashed when he actually returns in June but the man did use the words "Spring Training". I don't think anyone knows when the hell he'll be back, anybody who takes a guess as to his probable return date (aside from Coop, perhaps since he's the one witnessing Peavy's throwing first hand) is talking out their ass because no pitcher has ever experienced this injury as far as I know.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 02:16 AM)
Cooper -- in a totally dick move, IMO -- mentioned on the radio today that Peavy looks great and may be ready for Spring Training. Yeah, he said Spring Training, he's probably wrong and is getting my hopes up just to have them dashed when he actually returns in June but the man did use the words "Spring Training". I don't think anyone knows when the hell he'll be back, anybody who takes a guess (aside from Coop, perhaps since he's the one witnessing Peavy's throwing first hand) is talking out their ass because no pitcher has ever experienced this injury as far as I know.

Yeah, and in Coop's comments last week about Jake's progress, he said he could be "ready to go", which I took as meaning "ready for opening day". I think with Coop's optimistic comments, it's certainly plausible that Peavy could be back by May 1st, which I believe means only 4 starts if the 5th starter is skipped during off-days, and 6 starts if no one is skipped.

So 4-6 starts if he returns in May, and Coop suggests he could be ready for Spring Training. I am saying that either way, I think we will be ok with dumping Danks/Floyd to the Yankees for Gardner + prospects or Nova/Joba + prospects.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
Cooper -- in a totally dick move, IMO -- mentioned on the radio today that Peavy looks great and may be ready for Spring Training. Yeah, he said Spring Training, he's probably wrong and is getting my hopes up just to have them dashed when he actually returns in June but the man did use the words "Spring Training". I don't think anyone knows when the hell he'll be back, anybody who takes a guess as to his probable return date (aside from Coop, perhaps since he's the one witnessing Peavy's throwing first hand) is talking out their ass because no pitcher has ever experienced this injury as far as I know.

Thank you. It's like when the Cubs would try to minimize Wood and Prior's injuries knowing damn well they were much more serious than they were letting on. I don't care what Cooper said. I fully expect Peavy to miss at least two months.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
Thank you. It's like when the Cubs would try to minimize Wood and Prior's injuries knowing damn well they were much more serious than they were letting on. I don't care what Cooper said. I fully expect Peavy to miss at least two months.
If the yankees lode Pettite to retirement I think they'll inquire about another lefty, Buehrle maybe. Perhaps wishfull thinking but that extra cash could allow us a few more options.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
If the yankees lode Pettite to retirement I think they'll inquire about another lefty, Buehrle maybe. Perhaps wishfull thinking but that extra cash could allow us a few more options.

I don't think there is any chance in hell Buehrle accepts a trade to the Yankees. He seems to care more about his family and playing where he wants to play more than money. If it was about the money, we wouldn't be hearing about him retiring all the time.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)
I don't think there is any chance in hell Buehrle accepts a trade to the Yankees. He seems to care more about his family and playing where he wants to play more than money. If it was about the money, we wouldn't be hearing about him retiring all the time.

I agree. And I don't think the Yankees would be that enamored with Mark anyway. Much as I love the guy, I don't see Mark sporting an ERA under 5 in the AL east. The Yankees would want a younger, higher upside guy in Danks or Jackson.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 04:16 AM)

If you take ptatc's prognosis -- and I would, since he's certainly the best kinesiologist on this board -- Peavy's injury, while serious, shouldn't have too long of a recovery time. While nobody knows how effective he will be when he comes back, people do know how long it takes tendon re-attachments to heal, and apparently it isn't that long.

Garnder doesn't put this team over the top, I won't even comment on the Beckham to 3B and CQ for Howie Kendrick trade proposal...

As of right now everyone is saying Jake will be ready to go Opening Day, and until Kenny signs a cheap starter, I believe he is coming back in April. I don't see how you can think otherwise, and I don't understand why the coaching staff would be bluffing about Peavy's comeback. This isn't the Chicago Cubs organization.

Edited by justBLAZE

It would make no sense to make Peavy seem MORE likely to be ready. If anything, the opposite. No one knows for sure, but from everything I am seeing, I think Peavy pitches in ST and is ready for Opening Day.

That said, I am still not sure they'd want to trade a starter, unless they get another high end reliever to replace Sale's current bullpen slot.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 05:23 AM)
Garnder doesn't put this team over the top, I won't even comment on the Beckham to 3B and CQ for Howie Kendrick trade proposal...

As of right now everyone is saying Jake will be ready to go Opening Day, and until Kenny signs a cheap starter, I believe he is coming back in April. I don't see how you can think otherwise, and I don't understand why the coaching staff would be bluffing about Peavy's comeback. This isn't the Chicago Cubs organization.

Howie Kendrick is the 2B version of CQ. Good potential, always hurt.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
It would make no sense to make Peavy seem MORE likely to be ready. If anything, the opposite. No one knows for sure, but from everything I am seeing, I think Peavy pitches in ST and is ready for Opening Day.

That said, I am still not sure they'd want to trade a starter, unless they get another high end reliever to replace Sale's current bullpen slot.

And I think Joba Chamberlain is capable of this. Then add in Nova, Romine, and Betances.

Even if Jake is ready by mid-April, this team needs an insurance policy/6th starter. It can be someone cheap, but if he experiences a huge dip in velocity (and effectiveness) or if one of our starters is hurt this season, I'd like to have someone to cover those innings. In no way is a 6th starter a priority for this team, but we should definitely look to snap up someone who's being undervalued.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
yeah, and jake's shoulder falls off again in 3 months because his mechanics will most likely be the same which, most here wouldn't argue, caused his injury in the first place

Take a look at ptatc's posts on this. Its specifically his drop-down that causes the issue, most likely, and that's easily avoidable.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
Even if Jake is ready by mid-April, this team needs an insurance policy/6th starter. It can be someone cheap, but if he experiences a huge dip in velocity (and effectiveness) or if one of our starters is hurt this season, I'd like to have someone to cover those innings. In no way is a 6th starter a priority for this team, but we should definitely look to snap up someone who's being undervalued.

What is your avatar? I've wondered this many times, but never actually asked.

Even if Peavy appears to be medically "ready" by ST, I seriously doubt that we'll see him in a regular-season game until at least May. The lack of precedent of his injury and the amount of money the Sox have invested in him will force them to handle him very carefully.