2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
I figured it was her believing she was actually becoming a swan in her head and imagination, just like all the other wierd stuff that happened. Maybe just me.

The mother/daughter thing was creepy but a mom trying to live vicariously through their child is nothing new. We see it in sports all the time.

I didn't say it wasn't nothing new, it was the most boring, been-done relationship that added nothing new. And just because she is imagining it doesn't make it less condescending. It was a stupid idea...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Meh, overrated IMO. Good, but not outstanding. Poor character development. I watched it a second time last week and really grew to hate all of the Mal/Cobb parts. Still don't understand how his sub-conscious can infect other peoples dreams. I enjoyed the South Park spin on it - just because you have a complex/confusing idea masked by really cool visuals (and music - ba ba ba ba ba baaaaaaa) doesn't make the movie great.

Also, finally got to see The Town. I'd give it a B. Kept me entertained, but just a story without much impact. The Boston accents were fawkin brutal brah. Affleck's were weak in some scenes and fawkin ovah that tawp in othahs. Same with Blake Lively's character. Hamm had the best line when he was in the interrogation room and he mimicked Affleck's accent. Also did not care for the ending. Not much of a payoff for a jagbag character with little to no redeeming qualities.

We disagree on Inception, and that you don't understand how his sub-conscious can "infect", shows you missed a key understanding of the idea behind the movie.

I don't mean it was good in some "it delivers a powerful message" sort of way...but it was great/spectaular to me because it was a new idea brought to the big screen which is nearly VOID of new ideas these days. Just because the run of the mill remark garbage seems to work for most people, doesn't make Inception overrated at all. I'm glad they made the movie on the scale it was made on, it was a huge risk, and I enjoyed it...and I welcome more like it. Better than 99% of the already been done remake garbage out there.

Edited by Y2HH

Fincher will clearly win Best Director for The Social Network.

King's Speech could still pull the upset for Best Picture, although I'd say the odds are only about 20-25%.

A lot of critics have read into the Mila Kunis character and many parts of The Black Swan....that she didn't even exist but in Natalie Portman's imagination, to goad and push her (just like the director, Cassel) along the way on her evolution (literally and figuratively) into the black swan, a complete physical and mental metamorphasis. I agree the Barbara Hershey as Mommie Dearest (can I also use Tiger Mother now?) character was a bit over the top and too grating/stereotypical...but you need those kinds of one-dimensional, simplistic characters in the background to make Natalie's descent into artistic hell (and ultimate "rapture") more credible, that everything around her, "dark forces," are pushing her in this direction.

It's strange her next movie being released after she probably wins the Academy Award (it's her or Anne Benning for The Kids Are All Right) will be a two-star romantic comedy with Ashton Kutcher (Bruce Willis' dad, and the one surviving Univ. of Iowa basketball fan left).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
I assume you mean "dan in real life." If so, all I can say is that that movie was absolutely terrible. Borderline unwatchable for me.

64% positive on Rotten Tomatoes (this has become like OPS quote in refutation, lol)

Usually the movies that are at 50% or above have SOME redeeming qualities to recommend to at least a majority of filmgoers. Not a great film to me, but certainly head and shoulders over lots of similar movies from that genre.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
We disagree on Inception, and that you don't understand how his sub-conscious can "infect", shows you missed a key understanding of the idea behind the movie.

I don't mean it was good in some "it delivers a powerful message" sort of way...but it was great/spectaular to me because it was a new idea brought to the big screen which is nearly VOID of new ideas these days. Just because the run of the mill remark garbage seems to work for most people, doesn't make Inception overrated at all. I'm glad they made the movie on the scale it was made on, it was a huge risk, and I enjoyed it...and I welcome more like it. Better than 99% of the already been done remake garbage out there.

Care to explain the subconsious bit then when they are in someone elses dream?

And I agree 100% with your originality point. But I still think it was overrated by many.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
This may or may not be totally SFW, but it's the documentary that featured Dickie from "The Fighter" for anyone who has seen it.

Thx for sharing. Still think marky mark, wow playing a Bostonian, is an awful actor but bale was incredible.After watching this, the casting as a whole was excellent.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Watched In Bruges since I was there for a night, really liked the movie, but the city gets a bad rep in it, and is really a great place to visit, even for the young.

Would you describe it as a fairytale town?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
I liked it a lot. Just finished it out of Redbox. I won't go to loved, but it was very good.

I watched parts of "Memento" the other night on the dish, and in a weird way it made me appreciate "Inception" even more. The word "genius" is overused, but Christopher Nolan and his brother are obviously very, very intelligent as well as extremely creative writers and film makers. I liked "The Prestige" a lot too, which I think is somewhat underrated, though not in the same class.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
I watched parts of "Memento" the other night on the dish, and in a weird way it made me appreciate "Inception" even more. The word "genius" is overused, but Christopher Nolan and his brother are obviously very, very intelligent as well as extremely creative writers and film makers. I liked "The Prestige" a lot too, which I think is somewhat underrated, though not in the same class.

What I really like about Nolan is his tendency to attempt originality in an era of almost none. Memento and Inception are excellent movies, and the more you watch them, the more you catch and the more it all begins to make sense. While the main theme of Inception is far fetched, so what...most movies are far fetched, so why people are using those words to describe this particular movie baffles me when everything out there is far fetched, but lacks originality or creativity.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
What I really like about Nolan is his tendency to attempt originality in an era of almost none. Memento and Inception are excellent movies, and the more you watch them, the more you catch and the more it all begins to make sense. While the main theme of Inception is far fetched, so what...most movies are far fetched, so why people are using those words to describe this particular movie baffles me when everything out there is far fetched, but lacks originality or creativity.

The style used in Memento is a rip off of from the film Irreversible. He did an almost shot for shot remake of Insomnia. Inception is a movie that uses elements from a ton of sources such as the Matrix. I don't think of originality when I think of Nolan and I'm a big fan of his.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:33 AM)
The style used in Memento is a rip off of from the film Irreversible. He did an almost shot for shot remake of Insomnia. Inception is a movie that uses elements from a ton of sources such as the Matrix. I don't think of originality when I think of Nolan and I'm a big fan of his.

The Matrix wasn't original either, in story, you can keep going back and saying every movie lifted ideas from other movies...so what? The originality comes into play in how it was set designed/filmed and edited, the same with the Matrix so far as bullet time, but other than that, there was nothing original there.

And irreversible was a failure and complete crap, Memento wasn't.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
The Matrix wasn't original either, in story, you can keep going back and saying every movie lifted ideas from other movies...so what? The originality comes into play in how it was set designed/filmed and edited, the same with the Matrix so far as bullet time, but other than that, there was nothing original there.

And irreversible was a failure and complete crap, Memento wasn't.

My point still stands. Nolan isn't very original IMO.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
My point still stands. Nolan isn't very original IMO.

Also, Irreversible wasn't even about a person with short term memory loss, which is the entire concept behind Memento.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
Also, Irreversible wasn't even about a person with short term memory loss, which is the entire concept behind Memento.

I didn't say the plot was the same. They "backwards" style of the film was. That was the gimmick for each of those films.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
I didn't say the plot was the same. They "backwards" style of the film was. That was the gimmick for each of those films.

The gimmick in Memento wasn't a gimmick in that they simply filmed it backwards like they did with Irreversible. For all intents and purposes, Irreversible filmed backwards for no real reason, other than style. What was done in Memento was a concept to make that gimmick more than just filming backwards for style points. It was shot backwards so that like the male lead, you -- the viewer -- were also stricken with short term memory loss. To me, that's pretty original in comparison.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
Not really. Gaspar Noé, Michel Gondry, and Guillermo del Toro are examples of originality.

Nobody cares about the first two, and Del Toro isn't original, either, by your rational. All lift ideas from others, therefore their originality is lost in translation.

Eternal Sunshine wasn't original either. :P

Del Toro directed Blade II and Helboy II. Original? Why? Because of Pan's Lab? :P

Edited by Y2HH