2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

A lot of the critics are praising Fast Five, but I thought the first one still is definitely better. In many ways, I also preferred the fourth movie of the series as well. (Poor Lucas Black and Tokyo Drift, everyone forgets that movie even happened now).

Tego Calderon and Don Omar (two reggaeton rap artists) don't add much. Heck, I don't even know where they came from.

It felt a little too much like one of the Ocean's 11 movies, mixed with the Italian Job. And adding so many cast members and throwing them together, somehow the story felt a little too forced or not quite cohesive.

The action sequences were quite good, but it still felt a bit "talky" to me. The Rock/Vin Diesel "love affair" thing was cute for awhile, but that was a bit too much.

Even the villain (Joaquin de Alameida) was much better in the Harrison Ford/Jack Ryan "Clear and Present Danger" flick from almost two decades ago.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
I called an audible at the theatre and saw it instead of Hanna. Fun action but the melodrama and acting is awful. Not too mention it was full of jackasses who don't know how to act in a theatre.

I'm shocked that a movie starring Paul Walker and Vin Diesel had terrible acting.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
A lot of the critics are praising Fast Five, but I thought the first one still is definitely better. In many ways, I also preferred the fourth movie of the series as well. (Poor Lucas Black and Tokyo Drift, everyone forgets that movie even happened now).

Tego Calderon and Don Omar (two reggaeton rap artists) don't add much. Heck, I don't even know where they came from.

It felt a little too much like one of the Ocean's 11 movies, mixed with the Italian Job. And adding so many cast members and throwing them together, somehow the story felt a little too forced or not quite cohesive.

The action sequences were quite good, but it still felt a bit "talky" to me. The Rock/Vin Diesel "love affair" thing was cute for awhile, but that was a bit too much.

Even the villain (Joaquin de Alameida) was much better in the Harrison Ford/Jack Ryan "Clear and Present Danger" flick from almost two decades ago.

or in Desperado as well.

Good lord did the Rock look jacked in this movie. I saw it with a few work buddies and he just made Vin look tiny.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Hope everyone that saw FAST FIVE stayed through the credits.

Step brother gave me a heads up on that thankfully.

On a side note, remind me to never go to the Gurnee theatre again on a Saturday night, yeesh...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Step brother gave me a heads up on that thankfully.

On a side note, remind me to never go to the Gurnee theatre again on a Saturday night, yeesh...

I never go to that theatre anymore. Go to the one in Round Lake off Rollins. A little out of the way but much nicer and never that crowded, even on opening weekends.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 1, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
I never go to that theatre anymore. Go to the one in Round Lake off Rollins. A little out of the way but much nicer and never that crowded, even on opening weekends.

My dad needed to go to the mall so that's why we ended up in Gurnee. First time I've been to that theatre in years but ya, insanely crowded and quite an annoying group of people to say the least

Saw The Cave of Forgotten Dreams (aka the White Sox 2011 Season in Review) by Werner Herzog in 3D at the Jeonju International Film Festival here in South Korea. Excellent, though-provoking documentary.

Just saw THOR last night. The 3-D was disappointing (which ones haven't been except for Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon and a couple of others?) but I actually liked this movie a lot more than Fast Five, even though a majority of critics are favoring FF over Thor.

Could definitely see the influence of Kenneth Branagh on Thor. It felt kind of like a hybrid between a typical superhero movie and Beowulf, actually.

By the way, welcome officially to summer movie season. January-April was disappointing in many respects, there were a few decent dramas like Source Code, The Adjustment Bureau and Limitless, but hugely underwhelming box office.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 6, 2011 -> 06:51 AM)
Hobo With a Shotgun was awesome. It's the second fake trailer from Grindhouse that they've turned into a movie.

I don't remember that trailer from Grindhouse. Isn't Hobo a TROMA movie? Saw it was getting really good reviews.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:08 AM)
I don't remember that trailer from Grindhouse. Isn't Hobo a TROMA movie? Saw it was getting really good reviews.

It was in Grindhouse, but mostly shown in Canada and some select theaters in the U.S. So it's not as known as the other trailers.

It definitely feels like a TROMA movie.

I dont know if any of you heard about this, but Quentin Tarantino has written a sequel/homage to the legendary spaghetti westerns Django(1966) and Django: Get a Coffin(1968) which starred Franco Nero. These films are the inspiration for many films, including the recent Rango. Tarantino is expected to start putting this movie into production within the next year, and Franco Nero has confirmed he has a part in the film. Will Smith is in talks to be the main character

A Smith/Tarantino pairing could be quite interesting to say the least.

One other thing, this film(to be called Django Unchained) is going to be set in the old west, the original dealt with the main character as a slave becoming freed. There will be a lot of racism in this film, apparently QT did not hold back much

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 6, 2011 -> 06:51 AM)
Hobo With a Shotgun was awesome. It's the second fake trailer from Grindhouse that they've turned into a movie.

Wow. Just watched the unrated trailer. Looks amazing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 7, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
I dont know if any of you heard about this, but Quentin Tarantino has written a sequel/homage to the legendary spaghetti westerns Django(1966) and Django: Get a Coffin(1968) which starred Franco Nero. These films are the inspiration for many films, including the recent Rango. Tarantino is expected to start putting this movie into production within the next year, and Franco Nero has confirmed he has a part in the film. Will Smith is in talks to be the main character

A Smith/Tarantino pairing could be quite interesting to say the least.

One other thing, this film(to be called Django Unchained) is going to be set in the old west, the original dealt with the main character as a slave becoming freed. There will be a lot of racism in this film, apparently QT did not hold back much

I don't think you can properly pay homage to the Spaghetti Western.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ May 9, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Same here. I was pleasantly surprised with the job Branagh did.

Hopefully Captain America can do that story the same justice.

Can I ask why you were surprised? I know Branagh's been directing for quite some time.

I'm sure Captain America will be good. They've casted well, that's for sure. In the last decade, comic book movies might be the most consistently good type of film. There aren't many that have been bad.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Thor was bad ass. I was pleasantly suprised. I was thinking how could they possibly make Thor as much of a bad ass in a live action film as he is in the comics? But Kenneth Branaugh pulled it off big time. The best part

was when the Frost Giant said "run home lil princess", and promptly got a face full of hammer.

Lol that was AWESOME. As a matter of fact,

a lot of characters got a face full of Mjolnir.

Plus it was nice to see

Peavy wielding a bow and arrow in a cameo appearance.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 9, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
Can I ask why you were surprised? I know Branagh's been directing for quite some time.

I'm sure Captain America will be good. They've casted well, that's for sure. In the last decade, comic book movies might be the most consistently good type of film. There aren't many that have been bad.

Captain America looks great, I'm sure that will at least be solid. I'm not sold on the X-Men movie because the last couple have been awful and Fox Films suck for the most part. Green Lantern looks all kinds of awful though. That CGI looks like it is straight out of 1995.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 10, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
Captain America looks great, I'm sure that will at least be solid. I'm not sold on the X-Men movie because the last couple have been awful and Fox Films suck for the most part. Green Lantern looks all kinds of awful though. That CGI looks like it is straight out of 1995.

The quality of the CGI has that big of an impact on how you judge a movie?