2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)
Aww s***, I forgot about it...

Just watched Takers, entirely because I dig Idris Elba. Pretty slick movie, and Paul Walker even managed to not be a total douche.

Fairly disappointed in Gettysburg.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 30, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
I don't get why people don't get it. The movie simply wasn't that funny. I'm not a movie snob, especially when it comes to comedies, but this movie just didn't make me laugh out loud once. There were a few snickers here and there (like with the monkey smoking in slow motion and Stu screaming "f*** the po-lice"), but nothing that really had me laughing. I went with two other guys and they never laughed out loud either.

It was enjoyable to see once, but it just wasn't very good. If you hadn't seen the first one, the second may have had a few laugh out loud scenes where they basically just reenacted parts of the first movie, but it's hard to laugh at Mr. Chow jumping out of the ice machine and beating everyone up when you could see it coming a mile away.

I was this way with the first one. From all of the hype I thought it would be way funnier than it was. I laughed in some parts, but with the way that movie was played up, I expected legendary comedy, something like Bachelor Party. I got a good comedy. The second one will probably be Redbox material when it comes out.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 31, 2011 -> 03:01 AM)
If you didn't laugh out loud at a few of the parts of that movie, theres something wrong with you.. then again, ive seen all the lame movies you've said you liked in here, so its not all that surprising..

If you don't understand the difference between how smart "The Hangover" was versus how bad "The Hangover: Part II" was, then your opinion in movies doesn't really matter. "The Hangover" was smart and people of all ages found it hilarious, while the sequel will undoubtedly be loved by males ages 14-23 (or those who never grew up) and a disappointment to the rest of the world that needs more than constant dick jokes to enjoy a movie.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
If you don't understand the difference between how smart "The Hangover" was versus how bad "The Hangover: Part II" was, then your opinion in movies doesn't really matter. "The Hangover" was smart and people of all ages found it hilarious, while the sequel will undoubtedly be loved by males ages 14-23 (or those who never grew up) and a disappointment to the rest of the world that needs more than constant dick jokes to enjoy a movie.

I laughed harder at this post than I did through most of the Hangover. True Story.

I'm sure this is old news but I just discovered (or rediscovered) The Hobbit is going to be released in two parts. The book was far shorter than any of the books in the Trilogy — why the heck does this have to be done in two parts. . . other than the obvious desire to make more money, I mean?

I have become increasingly disinterested in this project starting with the soap opera about whether Jackson would or wouldn't get to direct. A shame.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
I'm sure this is old news but I just discovered (or rediscovered) The Hobbit is going to be released in two parts. The book was far shorter than any of the books in the Trilogy — why the heck does this have to be done in two parts. . . other than the obvious desire to make more money, I mean?

I have become increasingly disinterested in this project starting with the soap opera about whether Jackson would or wouldn't get to direct. A shame.

$$$$$$$$$

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:40 AM)

My biggest compliant with legendary books turned movie is they always have to leave out what I consider big parts. Hopefully that lessens that.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Critics 35% based on 188 reviews

AUDIENCE 94% based on 45000 reviews.

Screw the critics.

LOL ok. There is a finite number of critics. How many times can some dopey 15 year old kid go on there and vote that it was THE.BEST.MOVIE.EVER!!!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)
LOL ok. There is a finite number of critics. How many times can some dopey 15 year old kid go on there and vote that it was THE.BEST.MOVIE.EVER!!!

Not all critics are right. Their reviews are opinion like any audience. If someone enjoyed Hangover 2 and you didnt, who cares? Everyone has different tastes.

I haven't seen it yet but when I do and if I hate it, I won't fault people for liking it.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 31, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Not all critics are right. Their reviews are opinion like any audience. If someone enjoyed Hangover 2 and you didnt, who cares? Everyone has different tastes.

I haven't seen it yet but when I do and if I hate it, I won't fault people for liking it.

I was just about to post this. However, the level of humor in both films is completely different. The first was a drunken-good time while the second was a dick-good time. If you love dick, you love Hangover Part II!!!

Obviously, I'm kidding. To each his own.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 31, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)

Well that's the thing with a rating from RT. It's not one critic's opinion. It's all of the critics' opinions aggregated. If the score is pretty low, as in this case, chances are it isn't a very good movie.

Critics 35% based on 188 reviews

Screw the critics.

And over 75% of the audience based on a much larger number of reviews also liked Transformers 2 which is a movie I can't fathom how anyone over the age of 12 could possibly like.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 31, 2011 -> 06:55 AM)
35% on Rotten Tomatoes. Lets face it. You enjoy s***ty movies.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)
I was this way with the first one. From all of the hype I thought it would be way funnier than it was. I laughed in some parts, but with the way that movie was played up, I expected legendary comedy, something like Bachelor Party. I got a good comedy. The second one will probably be Redbox material when it comes out.

I even went into the second one with pretty low expectations. So I didn't find it unfunny because I was expecting so much more. It just wasn't very funny.

Also, you must be a huge fan of the film Twilight since 82% of the audience loved it. And that's counting over 500K reviews!!

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)

If you went to a movie like the Hangover II with any intentions of seeing stuff outside of grotesque humor and almost a copy of the first movie, you're a moron. They didn't make a second one to create some new story, they did it because the first one made a ton of money and they could make even more this time.

Some of you need to learn how to just enjoy a movie.. zomg, too many dick jokes.. if you say you didn't laugh at all the whole movie, you're a f***ing liar and you have some agenda to be some hardass wanna be critic around here. And I mean movie critic not the sweet, sweet poster.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
If you went to a movie like the Hangover II with any intentions of seeing stuff outside of grotesque humor and almost a copy of the first movie, you're a moron. They didn't make a second one to create some new story, they did it because the first one made a ton of money and they could make even more this time.

Some of you need to learn how to just enjoy a movie.. zomg, too many dick jokes.. if you say you didn't laugh at all the whole movie, you're a f***ing liar and you have some agenda to be some hardass wanna be critic around here. And I mean movie critic not the sweet, sweet poster.

LOL. Why are you taking it so personally? Were you the gaffer on this film? :lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
LOL. Why are you taking it so personally? Were you the gaffer on this film? :lolhitting

Im not taking it personally at all, thats prolly just how you imagine the tone of my post.

QUOTE (T R U @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)

Take it sleazy. I'm not sure I mentioned it on here, I know I did on Facebook. I didn't laugh out loud once, and that's the truth. I got a lot of heh's out of it, but that's the same reaction I get from watching Everybody Loves Raymond. Like, OK it's comical, but it's not funny.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
Take it sleazy. I'm not sure I mentioned it on here, I know I did on Facebook. I didn't laugh out loud once, and that's the truth. I got a lot of heh's out of it, but that's the same reaction I get from watching Everybody Loves Raymond. Like, OK it's comical, but it's not funny.

Its hard to not comment when you are pretty much comparing Hangover II to Everybody Loves Raymond.. but, I can see theres going to be no point in this..

QUOTE (T R U @ May 31, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)

The law of diminishing marginal returns does apply to dick jokes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
The law of diminishing marginal returns does apply to dick jokes.

Well, there wasn't THAT many dick jokes as Steve made it out to seem.. but still its like people went to this expecting a different movie.. how?