2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Occasionally you'll find something interesting, but not usually in their ghosts of dead alaskan truckers shows.

Usually it's just a repackaged awesome BBC documentary but they've stripped out Attenborough.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddy of mine recommended I see "Brotherhood". Hadn't heard of but my Netflix que is in a down period so got it and it is really good.

Anyone see it?

Brotherhood

2010 R76 minutes

Fledgling director Will Canon expands his award-winning short "Roslyn" for his first feature-length film with this gritty drama about Adam Buckley, a young collegiate whose last night of pledging for a fraternity takes an ominous turn. When he's ordered to hold up a convenience store as part of his initiation, Adam complies, but after everything goes wrong, he must find the courage to help a friend. Jon Foster and Lou Taylor Pucci co-star.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
History and Discovery have been garbage for years now.

Discovery tonight is running the story of our tornado outbreak from late April. And I'm still getting over the stress of it last time.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
I was a fan of

Alan throwing the anchor off the boat while it was beached.

This was my favorite...

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 28, 2011 -> 12:20 AM)
I dug it. Best line in the movie was Alan..."I see that this is a fishing village. Is there a Long John Silver's?" And, Stu's special moment was hilarious. So, if they do a part 3, does Alan get married?

X-Men: First Class was quite a bit better than I'd expected.

Thought McAvoy and Fassbender were excellent in their respective roles, and it's always easy to hate Kevin Bacon.

To me, the Pirates of the Caribbean movie has been the most disappointing so far, with the Hangover 2 a close second. I guess it just depends on your perspective...if you come into it never having seen the original, it's not bad. It's one of those movies where the expectations lead to the usual disappointment, although it wasn't horrible and nothing like the critics have claimed.

The movies I really want to see now are The Tree of Life, Midnight in Paris and Bridesmaids. Here in the Philippines, they're still showing the awful "Dylan Dog" so it's that or Kung Fu Panda 2 if I want to watch an English language movie in the theatres.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
X-Men: First Class was quite a bit better than I'd expected.

Thought McAvoy and Fassbender were excellent in their respective roles, and it's always easy to hate Kevin Bacon.

Agreed fully.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 09:44 PM)
I kept wanting to not enjoy that trailer, but I couldn't help it. The monkeys looked pretty fake at times, though.

I think it looks to be a pretty cool take on the franchise. Its hard to film a fake ape, CGI or suit, they never look completely right. Caesar looks a little off, but I think that is part of the point with him, he is completely aware of himself, so he has a little more human in his face.

The invasion scene looks pretty cool, lots of carnage

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
Discovery tonight is running the story of our tornado outbreak from late April. And I'm still getting over the stress of it last time.

It was a decent show. There are ones up for Japan too.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
I still love the Discovery Planet Earth movies. Every single one of them

It was a BBC program first, and longer!

Agreed, though, some of the best television I've ever seen. Their "When We Left Earth" series was fantastic as well.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Yeah, so X: First Class was an excellent movie. Totally worth seeing. Probably the best X Men series movie, the only competition it has is X2, and I think I enjoyed this one more.

I just got back from it and I cannot recommend this film enough. Wow! It might be my 2nd favorite comic book movie of all-time behind "The Dark Knight". What a fantastic reboot of a previously disappointing version of one of my favorite comics.

I don't even know how to put it into words. It was incredibly well acted, moody, beautiful, funny when needed, and I loved

the brief cameo by Logan, I'd like to see him introduced to this much better "X-World".

Seriously, I've got nothing more to say. I f***ing loved this movie (and so did my wife).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)

the brief cameo by Logan, I'd like to see him introduced to this much better "X-World".

Bah, I don't know if there'd be any way to do that well. Maybe, but that'd be one of those things that comes out forced. What they did well in this movie was not forcing things...they broke some continuity rules from the first 3 movies but they realized they didn't need to care, so everything fit as a single movie.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
I just got back from it and I cannot recommend this film enough. Wow! It might be my 2nd favorite comic book movie of all-time behind "The Dark Knight". What a fantastic reboot of a previously disappointing version of one of my favorite comics.

I don't even know how to put it into words. It was incredibly well acted, moody, beautiful, funny when needed, and I loved

Seriously, I've got nothing more to say. I f***ing loved this movie (and so did my wife).

Saw it last night. AWESOME! On par with #2 for excellence.

The cameo's one liner was awesome as well, imho, one of the best one-liners in all cinematics.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
I want to see it, but I'd like to know if Beast has a major role. If he does, I'm definitely seeing it.

Yes, there is a good sized (but not dominant) role for the character of Beast and a significant character development.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
It was a BBC program first, and longer!

Agreed, though, some of the best television I've ever seen. Their "When We Left Earth" series was fantastic as well.

If you like documentaries like that, there was another one I thought was just as good as the Planet Earth series from BBC (but different - less science, more history)... its the Ken Burns documentary "National Parks: The nation's best idea". Also ran on PBS, a while back. Fantastic stuff.