2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 07:22 AM)
Get Him to the Greek was mildly entertaining.

I definitely enjoyed it, although watching it in the theater with my wife and mother-in-law got a bit uncomfortable during a few scenes.

Not a big fan of Puff Daddy (or whatever he calls himself now), but I thought his character was great.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
"Your Highness" might be the worst movie ever made with such a strong cast.

Don't think Mr. McBride will be writing any more screenplays for a while.

Danny McBride can write? Woah!

I have no problem admitting that I cried watching 500 Days of Summer simply because it's eerily similar to my situation. As far as I'm concerned, that's one of the best movies I've ever watched.

The only thing I don't understand is

how Tom's sister knows so much. I mean, I get that it's cute and ironic that a 14 year old (or however old she really is) knows as much as she does, but she shouldn't know inside information like "Lars from Norway works out at the same gym" Seriously?

Everything about the movie was genuinely awesome. It moves quickly, so it doesn't exactly mimic real life, and her

getting engaged within like 3-6 months of the breakup is dumb as hell too.

I do understand the length restrictions of a movie, and it was absolutely phenomenal otherwise and obviously hit me on a very personal level because I've gone a very similar experience.

I especially loved the split screen with the expectations and reality.

I think it hit a little too close to home and made me realize that I'm still chasing my Summer Finn.

I think that's the sign of a good movie.

I think might think too much too.

(didn't dare bother to read the whole thread, didn't care how outdated the post was, but didn't want to ruin it)

13 Assassins puts everything but "Seven Samurai" to shame....excellent movie, one of the best action/fight scenes I've ever witnessed. It goes on for nearly 40 minutes at the end, and perhaps the best villain ever.

Morning Glory was pretty good, too. Big Rachel McAdams fan. Harrison Ford always plays to his stereotypical, gruff type...but he was excellent in the role as the movie went on and developed substance and a bit of depth.

Still trying to decide if Cowboys vs. Aliens looks like an epic flop. Whenever I see the preview, it hearkens back to Wild Wild West.

Watched The Adjustment Bureau a second time...another favorite movie from this past year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 06:00 AM)
I have no problem admitting that I cried watching 500 Days of Summer simply because it's eerily similar to my situation. As far as I'm concerned, that's one of the best movies I've ever watched.

how Tom's sister knows so much. I mean, I get that it's cute and ironic that a 14 year old (or however old she really is) knows as much as she does, but she shouldn't know inside information like "Lars from Norway works out at the same gym" Seriously?

Everything about the movie was genuinely awesome. It moves quickly, so it doesn't exactly mimic real life, and her

I do understand the length restrictions of a movie, and it was absolutely phenomenal otherwise and obviously hit me on a very personal level because I've gone a very similar experience.

I think it hit a little too close to home and made me realize that I'm still chasing my Summer Finn.

(didn't dare bother to read the whole thread, didn't care how outdated the post was, but didn't want to ruin it)

I also loved the movie. The little sister didnt bother me because the entire movie was a little over the top anyways so it fit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 06:00 AM)

I think everyone can relate to the "Expectation vs Reality" sequence. The wife and I adored that film when we saw it, what, 2 years ago? It's great.

Pirates 4. Ugh. I mean, the first one was great (witty, entertaining, new, about pirates), and now the whole franchise is just being thrown into a garbage disposal and whatever spits out they call it a movie. Surprisingly Ian McShane wasn't bad (I was expecting Al Swearengin on a boat), Penelope Cruz was gorgeous (as usual) and the mermaids were pretty cool. But the writing. Ugh. So many one-liners that just fell flat. The only saving grace was that my wife and I had gone on our honeymoon on Kauai about 2 weeks after they had wrapped up some filming there and we got to see a lot of the remote areas where they shot. Other than that. Meh.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
Pirates 4. Ugh. I mean, the first one was great (witty, entertaining, new, about pirates), and now the whole franchise is just being thrown into a garbage disposal and whatever spits out they call it a movie. Surprisingly Ian McShane wasn't bad (I was expecting Al Swearengin on a boat), Penelope Cruz was gorgeous (as usual) and the mermaids were pretty cool. But the writing. Ugh. So many one-liners that just fell flat. The only saving grace was that my wife and I had gone on our honeymoon on Kauai about 2 weeks after they had wrapped up some filming there and we got to see a lot of the remote areas where they shot. Other than that. Meh.

:huh

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:35 PM)
:huh

His roles in "Kings" and "Pillars of the Earth" were so meh because he was basically Swearengen in different clothing - that tone of voice, the eye brow raising/wide-eyed look...I dunno, very distinctive. It was difficult to take him seriously in those other roles. But I felt like in Pirates he was less Swearengen and more just some evil pirate.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
He was great in Hot Rod.

Well that movie was just perfectly cast.

And Marley and Me was on tv tonight, still gets to me. Im such a softy for dogs and lost a dog when I was a young teen, last time I cried was when that dog died.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)

And Marley and Me was on tv tonight, still gets to me. Im such a softy for dogs and lost a dog when I was a young teen, last time I cried was when that dog died.

Everytime I watch that on HBO, I always stop watching before they put him to sleep. It kills me to see his eyes slowly close.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)

I can not watch that movie. I balled at the movies watching it. Worst experience during any movie.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
So it looks like Pixar's run of perfection will end with Cars 2. If it had to happen I'm happy it ended with a movie that I don't care at all about and not one of their original movies.

I didnt care about or care for the first movie, but it still made bank at the box office. I wouldnt count pixar out, there are millions of little kids who love those movies

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
I didnt care about or care for the first movie, but it still made bank at the box office. I wouldnt count pixar out, there are millions of little kids who love those movies

Cars is incredibly popular with kids which is why Pixar made Cars 2 and I'm sure Cars 2 will be successful financially as well. And from what I've read that it looks like they really just aimed this movie at kids since unlike the rest of their films, Cars didn't have as much cross over appeal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)

I'm one of the biggest Pixar fans out there, but I dislike them going the sequel route in general. And that goes for the Toy Story franchise as well regardless of how good the last installment of that series was.

I understand that it's a business and it would be irresponsible for a corporation not to take full advantage of a proven moneymaking franchise, but i wish Pixar could have resisted the lure of the sequel and easy money. The exception for me would be an Incredibles sequel (If Brad Bird agreed to helm it). There is no way that movie wouldn't kick ass.

While not among my favorites I actually very much liked the original Cars. i just watched most of it last night with my son during the Sox rain delay.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
I'm one of the biggest Pixar fans out there, but I dislike them going the sequel route in general. And that goes for the Toy Story franchise as well regardless of how good the last installment of that series was.

I understand that it's a business and it would be irresponsible for a corporation not to take full advantage of a proven moneymaking franchise, but i wish Pixar could have resisted the lure of the sequel and easy money. The exception for me would be an Incredibles sequel (If Brad Bird agreed to helm it). There is no way that movie wouldn't kick ass.

While not among my favorites I actually very much liked the original Cars. i just watched most of it last night with my son during the Sox rain delay.

I was a fan of Cars as well. I have yet to see a bad Pixar movie, even through the sequels.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)

The Incredibles has a bunch of sequels, didnt you know? Its called "No Ordinary Family" and it is on ABC ;)