2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved Horrible Bosses. The comedy flows and sounds naturally and the cast was great. It's vulgar at times but not shoved in your face and down your throat like Bad Teacher felt.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
As someone who dates a very funny woman, i quite liked seeing them in a role more than props to get f***ed over (in every way) by doofus male characters, or the "men are stupid, women comment on it" roles. I hope we do see more films like this.

I'm sure we'll see about 10-15 copycat movies put into the pipeline, half from Apatow's production team alone.

With Bridesmaids and Bad Teacher (not sure why they're being compared, except for the fact they have female leads)...yet another "niche" they'll try to exploit. As long as the material's good, it will work. Not so much movies like "Something Borrowed" with Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin.

Movies like Monte Carlo with Selena Gomez are all over the place, because they're targeted at teenagers...but there's not so much product out there aimed at women post-college through let's say age 45.

And the Hollywood mantra has always been leading actresses become "one-dimensional mom characters" in their late 30's/early 40's.

Oh, by the way, Larry Crowne was "pretty good" but not quite the quality I expected with Hanks and Roberts...probably better as a rental/discount theatre adventure.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Loved Horrible Bosses. The comedy flows and sounds naturally and the cast was great. It's vulgar at times but not shoved in your face and down your throat like Bad Teacher felt.

Yes, Horrible Bosses is the comedy of the year. It did not disappoint.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
As someone who dates a very funny woman, i quite liked seeing them in a role more than props to get f***ed over (in every way) by doofus male characters, or the "men are stupid, women comment on it" roles. I hope we do see more films like this.

You are echoing my comments from a month or two ago. I could not agree more.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 08:01 AM)
Yes, Horrible Bosses is the comedy of the year. It did not disappoint.

Definitely agree. I thought it was funnier than the Hangover. It was hysterical. Sometimes a little raunchy, but I was laughing almost the entire movie.

Does Charlie Day ever not play the same role? He was pretty much the same character from It's Always Sunny.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
After seeing the preview for that movie, I'd plow Jennifer Aniston til sunrise.

I'll be honest, she didn't look super hot to me. Granted I have never been a big fan of Anniston, but she looked eons better in Just Go With It.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
I'll be honest, she didn't look super hot to me. Granted I have never been a big fan of Anniston, but she looked eons better in Just Go With It.

I'm the resident Aniston stalker here, and have to say, while she was hot as usual, the hair and the bangs irritated me. Maybe it was the look they were going for but I think that was the only problem with her.

I loved the fact that she always had a reason to not think she was harrassing him.

I'm not naked. Can you see my p****?

Add me to the list of people who really enjoyed Horrible Bosses. Juvenile, crude, ridiculous plot, but hilarious. Jason Sudeikis kills me, and Jason Bateman is growing on me.

And maybe I'm odd - I don't usually like Jennifer Aniston much at all, but I thought she looked way better in this movie than in anything else I've seen her in. Maybe the vulgar attitude added to her appeal? LOL

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 06:44 AM)
Add me to the list of people who really enjoyed Horrible Bosses. Juvenile, crude, ridiculous plot, but hilarious. Jason Sudeikis kills me, and Jason Bateman is growing on me.

And maybe I'm odd - I don't usually like Jennifer Aniston much at all, but I thought she looked way better in this movie than in anything else I've seen her in. Maybe the vulgar attitude added to her appeal? LOL

I agree with everything you said. And yes, it was her attitude I found appealing. :)

Still trying to decide which one I liked more, Bad Teacher or Horrible Bosses.

I guess I'd have to go with Horrible Bosses simply because the ensemble of talent (Foxx, Spacey, Farrell, Aniston, Sutherland) in that movie.

Maybe it's because Justin Timberlake's character was so over the top annoying...and Lucy Punch (the teacher across the hallway) was great for awhile...but her act grew thin too as the movie went on.

Finally, there's just no way that any teacher (even in the worst public school in America) could have gotten away with all those things. When I started teaching 2002, you had to get permission from 2-3 different people in the building (instructional coach/at least one Vice Principal) just to show a movie ONCE, in a single period, and you had to write an extensive lesson plan linking it to your curriculum/textbook.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Still trying to decide which one I liked more, Bad Teacher or Horrible Bosses.

I guess I'd have to go with Horrible Bosses simply because the ensemble of talent (Foxx, Spacey, Farrell, Aniston, Sutherland) in that movie.

Maybe it's because Justin Timberlake's character was so over the top annoying...and Lucy Punch (the teacher across the hallway) was great for awhile...but her act grew thin too as the movie went on.

Finally, there's just no way that any teacher (even in the worst public school in America) could have gotten away with all those things. When I started teaching 2002, you had to get permission from 2-3 different people in the building (instructional coach/at least one Vice Principal) just to show a movie ONCE, in a single period, and you had to write an extensive lesson plan linking it to your curriculum/textbook.

When I was a senior we watched "War Games" for our final in one class. I think it was called "Advanced Computer Concepts" or something like that. Everybody got an A on their final.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
Anyone else see Cedar Rapids with Ed Helms? It was a little too disjointed but had a lot of hysterical moments. It's too bad they couldn't have added about 30 more minutes to round out the story.

Anne Heche was good in that one, and I've never even liked her. The African-American insurance agent was hilarious (the party scene and some of his ad-libbed one liners), so was John C. Reilly, who in some ways was the "heart" of that movie with Mr. Hangover.

Very underrated comedy that just didn't have enough marketing "oomph" behind it to break out and become a big success box office-wise.

I'd put it up there with "Win Win" (Giamatti) for one of the Top 5 movies "that most people haven't heard of" in 2011.

Is it just me, it seems Jeong, Thomas Lennon and Jason Segel are in every movie that comes out these days. I guess that's better than too much Seth Rogen.

Plus, being from the Quad-Cities, it's amusing to see the way "flyover territory" is perceived in Hollywoodland. A little like "Up in the Air" in that sense.

But the "moral/emotional payoff" in the end of Cedar Rapids is much lighter and syrupy.

Edited by caulfield12