2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Limitless was entertaining, I liked the way it ended. Although DeNiro is just not the same actor anymore, it's been that way for a while.

It's sad how badly he's fallen off. I can't recall off the top of my head the last time he was in a serious role that was any good. He's basically become a caricature of himself. The same thing has happened to Pacino, but I guess he had sort of a return with You Don't Know Jack. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment.

Perhaps they both should have gone the Pesci route and retired early.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
It's sad how badly he's fallen off. I can't recall off the top of my head the last time he was in a serious role that was any good. He's basically become a caricature of himself. The same thing has happened to Pacino, but I guess he had sort of a return with You Don't Know Jack. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment.

Isn't De Niro, Pesci, and Scorese getting back together to do a movie based on on of Hoffa's hitmen? I read the book, "I Heard You Paint Houses". It was ok but with those 3 together, the movie would probably be great.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)

I think his last believable dramatic role may have been in "Men of Honor".

That was f***in' 11 years ago.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Isn't De Niro, Pesci, and Scorese getting back together to do a movie based on on of Hoffa's hitmen? I read the book, "I Heard You Paint Houses". It was ok but with those 3 together, the movie would probably be great.

Scorsese is pretty much in the same boat as De Niro and Pacino.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
Scorsese is pretty much in the same boat as De Niro and Pacino.

I strongly disagree. Although not in league with Scorcese's greatest, The Aviator, The Departed and Shutter Island were all solid, above-average films, regardless if their direction had been credited to "Martin Smith." Its fair to say he's fallen a bit off, but its nearly impossible to keep cranking out cinematic masterpieces for more than 30 years. I don't think its fair to say he's followed DeNiro and Pacino into the realm of "Meet the Fockers."

I have posted a Drive trailer in the past, this is the newly released international trailer.

I have really come to appreciate Gosling. He could have easily fallen into the Rom-Com group and increased his exposure, but he has been pretty selective in his choices. I like pretty much all of his work

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
I have posted a Drive trailer in the past, this is the newly released international trailer.

I have really come to appreciate Gosling. He could have easily fallen into the Rom-Com group and increased his exposure, but he has been pretty selective in his choices. I like pretty much all of his work

I agree on Gosling. He's actually pretty great. As to Drive, I usually hate those stupid racing/getaway movies, but I want to see this one based solely on the cast. It's definitely a great cast.

Gosling is taking off, literally, as we speak. Blue Valentine finally got him some recognition, now everyone who didn't fall in love with him when they watched The Notebook got to enjoy his comedy chops in Crazy, Stupid, Love, and hopefully Drive propels him even further.

He's a smooth pimp.

PS - There's an awesome article about him in this month's Esquire. He learned all of his own stunts for Drive.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)

I haven't much of his work, but I've seen Stay and he was phenomenal in that. He fits well into soft spoken character roles.

So thanks to Encore and Comcast's Premiere Collection, I've been enjoying some classics. The latest of which was "The Sting". Robert Redford and Paul Newman... I don't know why I waited so long to watch this one... fantastic movie.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
I just watched Trollhunter. It's in the mold of The Blair Witch Project/Cloverfield, but I think it was better than both. Anyone ever see it?

I posted a few of the trailers earlier this year, I was really looking forward to it. It looks pretty good.

There is already talk of an english version of that movie

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 26, 2011 -> 06:28 AM)
I posted a few of the trailers earlier this year, I was really looking forward to it. It looks pretty good.

There is already talk of an english version of that movie

OK, so it was you who got me interested in seeing it. It was queued up for a while, so I forgot if Netflix was suggesting it or if someone told me about it.

I saw Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark last night. I thought it was really good, and that's coming from a guy who thinks horror movies are generally garbage. It had the proper buildup and didn't rely on shock moments. Del Toro held up his reputation with this one, I'd say. The guys I saw it with seemed to like it as well, specifically referring to it as original in the sense of scary movies you see now.