2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 16, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
I rented Thor on wednesday, I really enjoyed it. Tom Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins played their parts very well. Hemsworth was good, but TH and AH stole the show

totally disagree. Thought Thor was at Spiderman 3 level. Found the characters stale, incredibly hard to buy, found the relationships to be stone, couldn't get into the film at all. Wife had the plot figured out about 4 minutes into the film.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
totally disagree. Thought Thor was at Spiderman 3 level. Found the characters stale, incredibly hard to buy, found the relationships to be stone, couldn't get into the film at all. Wife had the plot figured out about 4 minutes into the film.

Yikes, SM3 is quite a damning statement

Ryan Gosling’s artsy thriller Drive raced into third place with $11 million. The R-rated FilmDistrict production, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, played mostly to an older crowd, as 75 percent of the audience was 25 or older. Unfortunately, not everyone who saw the film liked it — despite strong critical reviews, audiences issued Drive a harsh “C–” CinemaScore grade, which does not bode well for its box-office longevity. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come to Gosling/Refn collaborations. The film earned a fair $3,818 per theater average.

Looks like yet another movie the critics and public will disagree completely on.

If movies like The Zookeeper can get a higher CinemaScore grade, you just wonder what the world is coming to...

By the way, watched one of Gosling's first movies, "The Believer," that movie is almost as good as American History X.

Contagion was a bit antiseptic (no pun intended) for a medical thriller. The first 45 minutes were good...but it seemed more like something from a textbook and you never cared about the fate of any of the characters involved despite the many big names in the project. Matt Damon wasn't as good as usual, IMO. I guess many filmgoers were happy Gwyneth Paltrow was knocked off in the first five minutes.

Edited by caulfield12

without the multiple scenes of no dialogue and characters just staring at each other with no reply...Drive would have probably been a half hour less in length. Add the s***ty music and I would say Drive is perfect at a C- for score. Loved the acting overall, and the tense scenes were really good.

QUOTE (onedude @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
without the multiple scenes of no dialogue and characters just staring at each other with no reply...Drive would have probably been a half hour less in length. Add the s***ty music and I would say Drive is perfect at a C- for score. Loved the acting overall, and the tense scenes were really good.

I agree with this. It seemed like they were trying to make Drive look and sound like an 80's indie film.

My favorite part of the movie was Albert Brooks. The opening scene was very good, and it had a few good moments sprinkled throughout the movie, but I'd never recommend it to anyone.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 19, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
Source Code had a stupid ending.

Here's a story that probably isn't funny to anyone but me.

In Fall 2007, I was taking a Business Presentations class, and the prof knew someone in the film industry and could get her hands on scripts that were actually floating around the industry at the time (the assignment was to read the script and pitch it to the class as if they were executives wanting to buy it). So I read it, and thought it was one of the stupidest things I'd ever read. Then I found out Topher Grace was already connected to the project and it had been picked up and whatnot. Flash forward four years and it's in movie theaters and gets decent reviews (I think, haven't paid too much attention). Shows what I know.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
I agree with this. It seemed like they were trying to make Drive look and sound like an 80's indie film.

My favorite part of the movie was Albert Brooks. The opening scene was very good, and it had a few good moments sprinkled throughout the movie, but I'd never recommend it to anyone.

It stinks?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 20, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Here's a story that probably isn't funny to anyone but me.

In Fall 2007, I was taking a Business Presentations class, and the prof knew someone in the film industry and could get her hands on scripts that were actually floating around the industry at the time (the assignment was to read the script and pitch it to the class as if they were executives wanting to buy it). So I read it, and thought it was one of the stupidest things I'd ever read. Then I found out Topher Grace was already connected to the project and it had been picked up and whatnot. Flash forward four years and it's in movie theaters and gets decent reviews (I think, haven't paid too much attention). Shows what I know.

Take Me Home Tonight got decent reviews?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
:lolhitting

I was saying that during every preview before the movie.

God, what a s***pile of movies coming out soon. Ugh.

While I've noticed that upcoming movies do look pretty bad, I gotta say that your moniker is absolutely perfect. Nothing seems to please you :lol:

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 10:50 AM)
While I've noticed that upcoming movies do look pretty bad, I gotta say that your moniker is absolutely perfect. Nothing seems to please you :lol:

The Critic lost all his ability to criticize when he admitted he likes both the Redwings and the Blackhawks.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)
It is. Curious as to how this turns out. I originally had doubts about how Moneyball could be successfully made into a film, but it looks enjoyable from what I've seen.

93% on tomatoes