2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)

First time I watched that in theaters, I didn't notice the language switch at all because I was just reading. Then went "oh" while listening instead of reading on the 2nd viewing.

But yeah, you should have had subtitles. Shoot Redbox an email, I have no idea what their customer service is like, but maybe you'll pull off one of their many free rentals.

Good point, I'll look into that. Recently I have noticed their DVDs have been strictly for rental, which restricts you from watching any of the extras on the DVD, I wonder if that could have had an effect.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Good point, I'll look into that. Recently I have noticed their DVDs have been strictly for rental, which restricts you from watching any of the extras on the DVD, I wonder if that could have had an effect.

There were few/no extras on the DVD version of X:0, short video snippet thing, most of the actual extras were only available on the blu-ray version.

I liked pretty much everything about XMen First class except for Beast's CGI face/mouth, and the misuse of Azazel. I thought Kevin Bacon was chilling as Sebastian Shaw, the scene where he draws out Magneto's power as a young boy was awesome/horrifying

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Yeah...but there was something else about the predictability level in that one. Maybe it was just that the actor didn't sell me very well on any part of the story, that could certainly play into it.

Watched X:0 over the weekend again. The story itself was predictable in the sense that we knew how every bit of it had to end up, but still I thought the actors other than Mystique did an excellent job of drawing in. NSS of course will disagree, but I think that's a solid comp.

I will? Not sure I've even seen Origins. Is that different than First Class? Or is that the same movie? If it is, then I didn't like it, but it was the dialogue and story that killed it for me. Not the acting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
I will? Not sure I've even seen Origins. Is that different than First Class? Or is that the same movie? If it is, then I didn't like it, but it was the dialogue and story that killed it for me. Not the acting.

Yeah, I meant First Class.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I liked pretty much everything about XMen First class except for Beast's CGI face/mouth, and the misuse of Azazel. I thought Kevin Bacon was chilling as Sebastian Shaw, the scene where he draws out Magneto's power as a young boy was awesome/horrifying

Don't know anything about the character. How was he misused?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Don't know anything about the character. How was he misused?

I think he was one of Sebastian Shaws best weapons, and at the end of the movie when Shaw is watching a bullet go through his brain in slow motion, the guy is nowhere to be found. I absolutely loved when they raided the compound and he is dropping the agents to their deaths one by one, I just thought that he was a much better 1A to Shaw than just a simple henchman. It really has nothign to do with his characters history as much as it did with Azazel not being utilized much once the end scene in Cuba started.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
I think he was one of Sebastian Shaws best weapons, and at the end of the movie when Shaw is watching a bullet go through his brain in slow motion, the guy is nowhere to be found. I absolutely loved when they raided the compound and he is dropping the agents to their deaths one by one, I just thought that he was a much better 1A to Shaw than just a simple henchman. It really has nothign to do with his characters history as much as it did with Azazel not being utilized much once the end scene in Cuba started.

First Class was dope. I said it right after I saw it in the theater that I think it's the best non-Nolan Batman superhero flick I've seen.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
First Class was dope. I said it right after I saw it in the theater that I think it's the best non-Nolan Batman superhero flick I've seen.

Dont get me wrong, I liked it a lot. Just a few small things jumped out at me, Azazel and Beast. The dynamic between professor X and Magneto was awesome.

So a little more of a take on "The Ides of March" since I saw it this weekend... kinda felt like watching CNN for the first 45 minutes, then a solid political thriller for 45 minutes, then an abrubt ending right when it was getting good.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
But yeah, you should have had subtitles. Shoot Redbox an email, I have no idea what their customer service is like, but maybe you'll pull off one of their many free rentals.

They gave me some long-winded explanation as to how to turn subtitles on/off, but also offered a free rental, so can't ask for much more.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
I thought he was absolutely hilarious, especially as he was first on Earth. I enjoyed Thor, when I expected to think it sucked.

Yep, same here. I expected Thor to be bad but it actually was a pretty fun movie. Will put X-Men: First Class in the netflix queue as the last two pages say it's pretty damn good.

Captain America worth a look?

Tron, I liked but yeah, it could have been so much more.

Saw Contagion with the wife last week, very good scare the s*** out of you with germs type movie.

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 03:17 PM)
I guess nobody has seen The Thing yet?

yeah about 30 years ago and it was a great movie, no way this new one could be any good.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
yeah about 30 years ago and it was a great movie, no way this new one could be any good.

I dunno. I thought the same thing at first when I thought it was just a remake of John Carpenter's version, but when I found out it is a prequel to those events I started to get a little more intrigued. Sure, there is sort of a lack of suspense because you already know everybody from the Norwegian outpost had died prior to the events in Carpenter's installment, but I had actually gotten sort of excited to see this.

Of course, now it is racking up some pretty poor Rotten Tomatoes ratings, so I don't think this installment is going to touch Carpenter quality-wise. Probably just going to wait to NetFlix it now.

Since there has been big lebowski talk going on... here is a question for some of you. What is your favorite coen brothers film outside of the big lebowski?

I ask because as a whole i really enjoy them... but there are still some bona fide duds in their filmography, in my opinion. If you have just seen one or two others don't bother answering.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)
Since there has been big lebowski talk going on... here is a question for some of you. What is your favorite coen brothers film outside of the big lebowski?

I ask because as a whole i really enjoy them... but there are still some bona fide duds in their filmography, in my opinion. If you have just seen one or two others don't bother answering.

Miller's Crossing, followed by Fargo and Raising Arizona. Though I have not seen A Serious Man or Paris, Je T'Aime.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 11:00 PM)

Blood Simple, Barton Fink, Fargo, O Brother Where Art Thou are probably my favorites. I think Turturro's performance in Barton Fink is amazing.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 10:00 PM)

Fargo and O Brother probably, but I also like Hudsucker Proxy a lot and many others didn't. I thought they did solid work on No Country for Old Men, though it pretty much followed the book to a T. And True Grit stands out to me as one of the very, very few remakes I have ever seen that was actually better than the original.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
I dunno. I thought the same thing at first when I thought it was just a remake of John Carpenter's version, but when I found out it is a prequel to those events I started to get a little more intrigued. Sure, there is sort of a lack of suspense because you already know everybody from the Norwegian outpost had died prior to the events in Carpenter's installment, but I had actually gotten sort of excited to see this.

Of course, now it is racking up some pretty poor Rotten Tomatoes ratings, so I don't think this installment is going to touch Carpenter quality-wise. Probably just going to wait to NetFlix it now.

well I thought the same thing too but after seeing the trailers it looked like the same EXACT movie pretty much. Does anybody know if they explore any back story to the aliens arrival?