2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (juddling @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
Got The Lincoln Lawyer and Horrible Bosses here now from Netflix. Thought or opinions on which i should watch first??????

The Lincoln Lawyer was meh. Decent idea that wasn't fleshed out well enough.

Horrible Bosses has it's moments, i'd watch that first.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 03:23 AM)
I only half paid attention to the American version, but how was it that much better? It was basically a shot-for-shot remake.

I was always confused as to why they remade that in general. It had a pretty wide release in US. I loved Let the right one in, but I"m not going to watch it twice. I heard they did change some things in the US version however.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
I was always confused as to why they remade that in general. It had a pretty wide release in US. I loved Let the right one in, but I"m not going to watch it twice. I heard they did change some things in the US version however.

some people cant handle subtitles, lol.

They remade it to make more money, thats all

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)

As Kyle said, it was obviously for the money. There were slight differences, but I mean very slight. The biggest difference I noticed was the girl being a little more meth-y (the way all zombies are now in films) when she killed the guy in the underground walkway in the American version. I thought the way they did it in the original was scarier.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
As Kyle said, it was obviously for the money. There were slight differences, but I mean very slight. The biggest difference I noticed was the girl being a little more meth-y (the way all zombies are now in films) when she killed the guy in the underground walkway in the American version. I thought the way they did it in the original was scarier.

But did it even make money? That's what I mean, more. They released it about a year apart in a very similar release to the original.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
But did it even make money? That's what I mean, more. They released it about a year apart in a very similar release to the original.

According to Wikipedia, it had a budget of $20 million and made over $24 million. Somewhat of a success, but yeah, they would've made a lot more if they waited a few years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
some people cant handle subtitles, lol.

They remade it to make more money, thats all

For me, some movies are fine in subs because you forget about them. I've watched Brotherhood of the Wolf both dubbed and with subs and I forgot about both about 20 min into it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
For me, some movies are fine in subs because you forget about them. I've watched Brotherhood of the Wolf both dubbed and with subs and I forgot about both about 20 min into it.

I actually feel the same way about a few movies. I was watching Pans Labrynth on HBOLatin and for about a half hour I couldnt figure out what was different, then i realized there was no subtitles. I dont understand spanish but I understood what was being said for the most part.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
I actually feel the same way about a few movies. I was watching Pans Labrynth on HBOLatin and for about a half hour I couldnt figure out what was different, then i realized there was no subtitles. I dont understand spanish but I understood what was being said for the most part.

Another good example.

And you guys should add "Brotherhood of the Wolf" to your watch lists if you havent seen it yet.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
I have a really hard time believing they go as dark as the original movie did. You kind of have to, but I'm hesitant to believe an American film could turn out like that. Kinda like how the original Let the Right One In was better than the American version, Let Me In.

Mara previously explained her transformation for the role, revealing she had her hair dyed and cut, her eyebrows bleached, her lip, brow, nose, and nipple pierced, along with her ears pierced several times.

Agreed, Let the Right One In was definitely much better.

In this match-up, from all the reviews, the American version is much better.

BTW, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is raking in tons of positive reviews...73 positives, only 5 negatives.

Will see Christian Bale's "Flowers of War" about the Nanjing Massacre tmrw in the theatres.

The Tribune's Michael Phillips came out with his best and worst movies of the year. For some reason Sucker Punch was his pick for worst. I thought Sucker Punch was pretty good. Visually appealing with a different style. Not sure how anyone could think it was that bad.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
The Tribune's Michael Phillips came out with his best and worst movies of the year. For some reason Sucker Punch was his pick for worst. I thought Sucker Punch was pretty good. Visually appealing with a different style. Not sure how anyone could think it was that bad.

I opined on Sucker Puynch in this thread a few months back, thought it was very entertaining. I watched it again a couple weeks ago and it had definitely lost its appeal for me. It was fun the first time around but watching it again definitely exposed its flaws; I now see why many people thought it was bad.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
I opined on Sucker Puynch in this thread a few months back, thought it was very entertaining. I watched it again a couple weeks ago and it had definitely lost its appeal for me. It was fun the first time around but watching it again definitely exposed its flaws; I now see why many people thought it was bad.

I guess, but worst movie of the year? The fact that you enjoyed it the first time says enough.

http://screenrant.com/ridley-scott-prometh...y-sandy-144116/

Some good stuff here from Ridley Scott regarding Prometheus. Particularly this little snippet:

Lastly, Scott had the following to say about whether or not the “original” xenomorph from Alien appears in Prometheus:

“Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He (the xenomorph) did very well. (He laughs) He survived, he’s now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!”

MI: Ghost Protocol is really excellent.

I can't imagine how scary some of those sequences in Dubai would be in an IMAX theatre.

Just watching them doing all the stunts on a laptop was bad enough. Jeremy Renner more than holds his own in a big budget picture and Paula Patton is something of a revelation.

Definitely a movie best enjoyed in a theatre setting.