2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
I guess it would like like this though:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This means nothing without pictures.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
Making your way through the Universal horror archives — I like it. Bride of Frankenstein is my favorite of the classics (as it is most people's I think), with Dracula a close second.

Now, for a real treat if you haven't seen it, seek out the Spanish-language/Spanish cast version of Dracula that starred Carlos Villarias and was shot at night on the same sets as the Browning/Legosi version. I have it on the Dracula 75th anniversary set that came out a few years back. It is excellent.

I have seen Man of a Thousand Faces, but it was at least 20 years ago. I recall liking it and not being too bothered with historic inauthenticity plus Thurston Howell III was in it, so what's not to like?

On the subject of historic horror biopics, where do you stand on Shadow of the Vampire (Yes, I do know Max Schreck wasn't actually a vampyr) and Gods and Monsters? I think they are both excellent.

I really liked Gods and Monsters, loved Shadow of the Vampire.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 14, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
Sounds as if you liked the first 2 Scream movies, you will dig part 4. I want to see it tomorrow but can't until Monday.

Its not as ridiculous as the 3rd movie, but it was a little cheesy.. I liked the ending though

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)

I think I am going to love this movie. I guess people have been surprised by the amount of violence in it, too. It looks quite awesome.

So this is randomly on demand on Comcast as an in theater IFC flick for 7.99. It's under the new arrivals section.

It's hilarious and super violent.

Caught The Conspirator this afternoon. Nice movie. Since I had just finished teaching a section on the War of Northern Aggression, the one y'all call the Civil War, it was fresh in my mind that

Lincoln dies

. ;) So that might have caused some of the suspense to be lost.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2346215:date=Apr 4, 2011 -> 10:43 AM:name=Steve9347)-->
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
<!--quotec-->

I think I am going to love this movie. I guess people have been surprised by the amount of violence in it, too. It looks quite awesome.

So this is randomly on demand on Comcast as an in theater IFC flick for 7.99. It's under the new arrivals section.

It's hilarious and super violent.

Seems like a "more mainstream" (this isn't the right phrase at all, but it'll have to do for the time being) version of Defendor, minus the psychological health aspect.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
Saw Scream 4. It felt like a remake of Scream 1. It was ok. No tits.

My feeling as well. Except I don't care if there were boobs or not.

I felt in the beginning that it felt cheesy and a retread but as it went and the last act was revealed, I bought it and dug it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 01:43 AM)
Saw Titanic 2 today on Netflix. One of the best comedies of 2010, IMO.

I tried to watch it, made it about 1 hour in and gave up.

Maybe it's hard to stomach when juxtaposed with Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives.

Bruce Davison, for God knows what reason, took that job for a paycheck, but his presence keeps it from being a complete comedy. Some of the things, like the "bevy of babes" following Van Dyke (I think Dick Van Dyke's grandson) arounding, the submarine crew, the special effects on the glacier, they absolutely cracked me up.

The dialogue is what you'd expect from Michael Bay, but there's a dearth of special effects so it's really jarring, and the extras are so "non-seasoned" that it's hilarious.

Brooke Burns has actually gotten some positive reviews for her performance. She reminded me of Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist in one of those Bond films.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
My feeling as well. Except I don't care if there were boobs or not.

I felt in the beginning that it felt cheesy and a retread but as it went and the last act was revealed, I bought it and dug it.

that's pretty much word for word what I told your ass it was like

Also, I was slightly disappointed they went with the "crazy horror film obsessed student partner, gets turned on and killed by mastermind at the end" again.. they just did that in 2, it was pretty much the exact same thing here. Would you agree?

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 03:06 AM)
that's pretty much word for word what I told your ass it was like

Also, I was slightly disappointed they went with the "crazy horror film obsessed student partner, gets turned on and killed by mastermind at the end" again.. they just did that in 2, it was pretty much the exact same thing here. Would you agree?

I think I expected it to happen after the Jill reveal. Both killers in the first two had different intentions and motives. Guess I just got the feeling she was using him pretty quick. Never been an Emma Roberts fan, actually I have never seen anything she has done, but thought she pulled off the nut job act pretty well.

Wish the opening scene was more suspenseful. I get what they were trying to accomplish with it but felt it wasted Aimee Teegardens screen time as she was a good choice for opening kill. Draw it out a la Barrymore scene.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
I tried to watch it, made it about 1 hour in and gave up.

Maybe it's hard to stomach when juxtaposed with Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives.

Bruce Davison, for God knows what reason, took that job for a paycheck, but his presence keeps it from being a complete comedy. Some of the things, like the "bevy of babes" following Van Dyke (I think Dick Van Dyke's grandson) arounding, the submarine crew, the special effects on the glacier, they absolutely cracked me up.

The dialogue is what you'd expect from Michael Bay, but there's a dearth of special effects so it's really jarring, and the extras are so "non-seasoned" that it's hilarious.

Brooke Burns has actually gotten some positive reviews for her performance. She reminded me of Denise Richards as a nuclear physicist in one of those Bond films.

I couldn't stop laughing when all the people were just randomly falling down, and they ALL were tripping over the exact same staircase. lol. Also, there were a lot of canned shots of the ship and the safety boats that were all the same, repeating animations.

Not sure if you made it this far, but there is one hilarious scene where the macho guy is in the elevator w/ the girls and the wave hits. His face just smashes right in to the glass of the emergency ax. It was so funny. And then he gets up, and throws his elbow in to the last remaining little piece of glass to get the ax out, even though most of the glass was already broken and he could have just pulled the ax out. Oh man, I recommend finishing the movie.

Also, when the girl gets cut in half by the door, I almost gave up on the movie. That was just so "oh give me a break".

Oh, and the helicopter exploding when the wave hits it. Lol, wow.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 04:54 AM)

I think I expected it to happen after the Jill reveal. Both killers in the first two had different intentions and motives. Guess I just got the feeling she was using him pretty quick. Never been an Emma Roberts fan, actually I have never seen anything she has done, but thought she pulled off the nut job act pretty well.

Wish the opening scene was more suspenseful. I get what they were trying to accomplish with it but felt it wasted Aimee Teegardens screen time as she was a good choice for opening kill. Draw it out a la Barrymore scene.

I feel they took the comedy too far and it killed any chance of suspension of disbelief (i know, i know). Like Anthony Anderson taking a blade through his f***ing brain (uh, instant death?) and struggling around for a minute because he can't see due to the blood (I guess a knife going through your cerebral cortex isn't a big deal), then finally falling down while saying "f*ck Bruce Willis). It was too dumb and too pointless and too unrealistic.

That and the beginning with the overly stupid Stab movie intro after intro just annoyed me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)

I feel they took the comedy too far and it killed any chance of suspension of disbelief (i know, i know). Like Anthony Anderson taking a blade through his f***ing brain (uh, instant death?) and struggling around for a minute because he can't see due to the blood (I guess a knife going through your cerebral cortex isn't a big deal), then finally falling down while saying "f*ck Bruce Willis). It was too dumb and too pointless and too unrealistic.

That and the beginning with the overly stupid Stab movie intro after intro just annoyed me.

I haven't seen this movie and never will. The Scream franchise, and most horror movies in general, just doesn't do it for me. But, it is possible to get stabbed in the brain and continue to function. I think it has to be a perfect scenario, but I know I've seen news stories about things like that happening.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
I couldn't stop laughing when all the people were just randomly falling down, and they ALL were tripping over the exact same staircase. lol. Also, there were a lot of canned shots of the ship and the safety boats that were all the same, repeating animations.

Not sure if you made it this far, but there is one hilarious scene where the macho guy is in the elevator w/ the girls and the wave hits. His face just smashes right in to the glass of the emergency ax. It was so funny. And then he gets up, and throws his elbow in to the last remaining little piece of glass to get the ax out, even though most of the glass was already broken and he could have just pulled the ax out. Oh man, I recommend finishing the movie.

Also, when the girl gets cut in half by the door, I almost gave up on the movie. That was just so "oh give me a break".

Oh, and the helicopter exploding when the wave hits it. Lol, wow.

I think you mean the refueling plane for the copter?

"The shaft must have collapsed. This isn't good." Of course, the logic of taking the elevator isn't the best, either.

One of my favorites was the guy in the beginning getting sucked down into the abyss when the glacier's collapsing but Davison and the scientist are skittering unharmed along the top, that was very funny.

And the crowd panic scenes, which looked as if they were filmed at a local mall...along with that hilarious confrontation with the guy who punches macho dude in the face, only to later be punched back by another staffer as the doors close.

Oh, and taping a credit card with gauze tape over a serious neck/carotid injury, too much.

Edited by caulfield12