2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty late to the party on this, but I watched True Grit last night (not having seen the original either). Pretty solid for 95% of it. The ending kinda left me with a "meh" feeling, but a bunch of great performances. Also really enjoyed the writing style. Kind of a Deadwood pace to it.

Guess I am in the middle of everyone as far as Hangover 2. I didn't laugh very much but enjoyed it for what it was.

Could of done without some stuff, but whatever. I knew what I was getting into.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
If you like documentaries like that, there was another one I thought was just as good as the Planet Earth series from BBC (but different - less science, more history)... its the Ken Burns documentary "National Parks: The nation's best idea". Also ran on PBS, a while back. Fantastic stuff.

Ken Burns' stuff is always hard for me to get into. Not because it isn't fantastic work, but because I know it's a 10-20 hour time commitment to get through it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:45 AM)
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20483446,00.html

Super 8 getting a rave review from one of the most influential critics out there....can't wait to see it tmrw.

Hopefully Juan Pierre will be magically abducted by aliens and two birds can be killed with the same entertainment dollar.

I was having a conversation with Karko's Throatskin about this film a few days ago. He, like many of the critics/reviewers, is very excited to see this film. For some reason, I don't want to buy into the hype. I get this impression that it's going to be one of those movies with an awesome premise and then a total let down when you realize/see the 'cause' of everything. Examples I gave were The Happening and The Langoliers (bad TV miniseries in the mid-'90s based on a Stephen King novel). I imagine this film won't be in the category of awesomely bad like those two but in the same vein of disappointment. Anyone else get this feeling that the 'great reveal' is going to be a let down?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
I was having a conversation with Karko's Throatskin about this film a few days ago. He, like many of the critics/reviewers, is very excited to see this film. For some reason, I don't want to buy into the hype. I get this impression that it's going to be one of those movies with an awesome premise and then a total let down when you realize/see the 'cause' of everything. Examples I gave were The Happening and The Langoliers (bad TV miniseries in the mid-'90s based on a Stephen King novel). I imagine this film won't be in the category of awesomely bad like those two but in the same vein of disappointment. Anyone else get this feeling that the 'great reveal' is going to be a let down?

No, I dont think there will be too much behind the great reveal besides the actual look of the escaped creature. I dont see it as a M Knight type twist that will leave you groaning in your seat. I have read rumors that this is the escape of the Cloverfield monster, which i think would be pretty cool.

Im excited to see it, Abrams and Spielberg together sounds like a damn good pairing to me

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
No, I dont think there will be too much behind the great reveal besides the actual look of the escaped creature. I dont see it as a M Knight type twist that will leave you groaning in your seat. I have read rumors that this is the escape of the Cloverfield monster, which i think would be pretty cool.

Im excited to see it, Abrams and Spielberg together sounds like a damn good pairing to me

OK, I would totally be down with that. I absolutely loved Cloverfield, even though I know it was a very polarizing flick in terms of love it / hate it. I may still hold off to hear what other people say about Super 8 before I run out to be first in line.

The happening was terrible in every aspect. Eberts film made me want to see it very much. He called it a cross between the goonies and a modern sci fi flick, which sounds awesome to me.

i have also read that this is a cross between E.T. and Close Encounters, which makes total sense with Spielberg involved. The story surrounding the boy who is making the film is supposed to be the central story, with the Alien escape being the secondary story

Finally saw "Win Win" last night, excellent film, and great work by Giamatti and his adopted wrestler son. It always makes me think of his father and Pete Rose whenever I see him on screen!

I've totally run out of movies to see these days...I actually watched "I am Number Four" (interesting premise but horrible special effects, amazing considering Bay was the producer) and "Beastly."

I even sat through "Something Borrowed" because I'm a Ginnifer Goodwin fan (Kate Hudson might be in my all-time bottom 5 though).

After going through all the NCIS season 8 episodes, I'm at a total loss.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 12:39 AM)
Is that the one with Jake Gylenhall and Tobey McGuire? If so, my roommate and I hated that movie, or at least how it ended.

No, it's this indie movie a buddy recommended about a fraternity pledge gone wrong. You are thinking of Brothers.

Ever since the first teaser trailer for Super 8 last summer, I have been looking forward to seeing it. Wow, was it disappointing. It had its moments but was dull in stretched and the ending was just rushed to me.

Was hoping for Stand By me type feel but not even close. **1/2

Same overall feeling about SUPER 8.

Well, there's always The Tree of Life or Midnight in Paris.

I wonder when we'll reach the saturation point with all these superhero movies with Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America, The Avengers, etc., all coming out so close together?

Harry Potter and Transformers 3 better not disappoint or this entire year will be considered one of the biggest disasters in the last 15-20 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
Harry Potter and Transformers 3 better not disappoint or this entire year will be considered one of the biggest disasters in the last 15-20 years.

Seriously, X-Men is quality.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Seriously, X-Men is quality.

Thor as well and Bridesmaids is getting good reviews everywhere I look.

This summer has already been better than the past two summers.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 10, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
Thor as well and Bridesmaids is getting good reviews everywhere I look.

This summer has already been better than the past two summers.

Thor has done fairly well, but it hasn't been a HUGE box office success.

X-Men might be a very good movie, but the fans simply haven't supported it.

Fast Five and Pirates' worldwide grosses (domestic has been disappointing) make the summer better, but Kung Fu Panda's a big miss as well.

Bridesmaids is one of the few breakout movies that hasn't lost 50-60% of its audience every weekend after the front-loaded openings.