2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
Actually it's incredible. Totally with you Milkman. CIA and FBI having a good month. I can't believe he hid for this long though! I hope theres a movie on it

The Departed was based off of him. But he also dies in the end of the Departed.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
The Departed was based off of him. But he also dies in the end of the Departed.

The character was MODELED after him. The movie had nothing to do with the man's life. It was actually mostly based on a Chinese film entitled "Infernal Affairs", if memory serves me right.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
the character was based off of him but it was not really a movie about him.

And not really that great of a movie at that :lolhitting

It would be cool to see a movie about him, yes. I really hope he drags up a lot of stuff about dirty FBI agents/cops, etc. I'm very excited to see what comes of this.

I thought Bulger was older than 81, though. Perhaps I never actually looked into his age or thought too much of it, but people always just assumed he was dead. Because of that, I just sort of figured that he must be like 90 or older.

I assume that they charge him and the girlfriend to the full extent of the law. Even though he's an old man and probably of little harm to anyone at this point, I want this guy to know that he will never breath another free breathe. I feel like he's one of those idealized gangsters that people are sort of "glad" got away with it. I hate that mentality and I want to see that image torn down, to see this broken and sickly old murderer's face as the bars slam in front of him. Maybe the good guys do win more often than not in the end.

Perhaps I'm a little more idealistic than most in regards to this, but I'm excited.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
I agree with milkman. It was overrated. Scorsese received the Oscar as a makeup for the previous snubs. Definitely not one of his best films.

Are you guys serious? I thought the Departed was one of the better films I've seen in the past few years. I loved it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Are you guys serious? I thought the Departed was one of the better films I've seen in the past few years. I loved it.

I loved it, but it was no marvel of modern film-making. It was absolutely PERFECT for what it was though.

When you think Scrosese, The Departed doesn't make the top 5 list of films he has made. I could care less if he won an Oscar for it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
I loved it, but it was no marvel of modern film-making. It was absolutely PERFECT for what it was though.

Well i'm not saying it needed to win a bunch of awards and accolades, but as far as pure enjoyment factor it was quite high up there for me among recent films

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
What???????

I don't want to turn this into a Films Thread argument, but yes. It was basically a remake of Internal Affairs and was pretty standard in Thriller terms of "Who are the good guys?", plus with all of the double agents and murders at the end. I dunno, it just seemed too hokey. And it was easily the worst of Scorsese's nominated movies. It was given the Oscar to make up for all of the times he was screwed over and it was a down year all around (I'd say Letters from Iwo Jima was the best and I also found Last King of Scotland to be better).

Edited by Milkman delivers

That's because it gave you what you wanted. And I guess it did the same for me, but I just find it overrated because of the Oscar, I suppose.

I mean, I really enjoyed Rambo a few years ago when I saw that in theaters because it was exactly what I expected and more, but that doesn't make it a great movie.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)

This. I wasn't trying to say it was an all-time great masterpiece, but it was damn entertaining, and I watch anytime it happens to be on cable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
This. I wasn't trying to say it was an all-time great masterpiece, but it was damn entertaining, and I watch anytime it happens to be on cable.

I said it wasn't "that great", which I think is a fair description. It was entertaining, yes, but nowhere near deserving of the recognition and hype that it received.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
I don't mean to be a dick, but can a mod move the movie stuff to the Films thread? I know I started it mentioning my critique of the movie, but I'd really like to continue the discussion of Bulger and I fear that this will completely derail that discussion.

It wasn't much of a discussion... that was the problem!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
What???????

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
I agree with milkman. It was overrated. Scorsese received the Oscar as a makeup for the previous snubs. Definitely not one of his best films.

I'm that group too. Way overrated, it was an OK movie. But I also tend to not like Scorsese's movies much either, I think he's a decent director at best. Never understood all the love.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Bulger terrorized Boston on a large scale. It affected businessowners, cops, politicians...this was a very significant arrest and there really should be no romanticizing about it.

But do you even doubt that there will be? The movie itself will even aid in that aspect. Did you know his brother was the President of the state senate for like 15 years and then President of UMass for another 7? That's basically right out of The Public Enemy.

His story has definitely been romanticized up to this point. I want them to tear that down and really make an example of him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
I'm that group too. Way overrated, it was an OK movie. But I also tend to not like Scorsese's movies much either, I think he's a decent director at best. Never understood all the love.

I'm perpetuating this argument (damn you!), but I think he has fallen off for sure. The same thing has happened to one of his favorite actors/collaborators, Robert De Niro. They've both been on a precipitous decline. Pacino was on that same decline, but I heard a lot of good things about that TV movie he did about Kevorkian.

Seriously, someone move this to the Films Thread! :lol:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
The only one I wouldn't watch if it were on TV is The Incredibles, and that's for the lack (IMO) of comedy.

I'm squarely in the camp that believes Pixar has yet to put out a bad film (we will see about Cars 2), but based on your taste in films being generally in agreement with mine I'm surprised you disliked The Incredibles. I think it is easily the most intelligent Pixar offering, very reflexive and very aware of the pop culture it borrows from. The respectful, loving, and well-studied sendup of the kitschiest aspects of early 1960s comic book sensibility and classic James Bond motifs was brilliant in my opinion.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm squarely in the camp that believes Pixar has yet to put out a bad film (we will see about Cars 2), but based on your taste in films being generally in agreement with mine I'm surprised you disliked The Incredibles. I think it is easily the most intelligent Pixar offering, very reflexive and very aware of the pop culture it borrows from. The respectful, loving, and well-studied sendup of the kitschiest aspects of early 1960s comic book sensibility and classic James Bond motifs was brilliant in my opinion.

I don't mean this as an insult, but you're a bit older than me. I'm not a big fan of comics or Bond and they certainly weren't part of my youth, so perhaps that was a built-in positive for you? My main problem with The Incredibles was that I didn't find it funny. I didn't hate it, but I didn't particularly care for it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention but I finally watched Sweet Smell of Success a couple of weeks ago. I'm not certain that I've seen Tony Curtis in anything before, but I really enjoyed his character. I couldn't stand Lancaster's obviously, but he always put in a good performance (Judgment at Nuremberg and Birdman of Alcatraz being two of my favorites). Overall it was a pretty good movie, definitely worth a viewing.

It was just sitting on my table for a month with Yankee Doodle Dandy waiting to be watched. I just haven't been feeling like watching movies. This is probably the longest drought of not watching movies I can remember since I started to consider myself a movie buff. But truth be told, I still watch some things on TV.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
When you think Scrosese, The Departed doesn't make the top 5 list of films he has made. I could care less if he won an Oscar for it.

I disagree:

1. Raging Bull

2. Goodfellas

3. Taxi Driver

[big drop]

4. The Departed