2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
So Origins was basically right on, besides the bullet thing?

No, not quite. It was a funny take on it, with Deadpool forced into the storyline. If you go through his history in the wiki, there are so many different aspects of his character that were just passed up and skipped. The next Wolverine movie takes place in Japan. That happened before the adamantium was fused to his skeleton(according to the comics). Like I said, they took a lot of liberties with the story, and rushed it. It could have been great, but it was just meh.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the fence about this movie until I saw the trailer, now I am in

<a href="http://http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.msn.com%2Fmovies%2Fmovie-trailers%2F%23%2Fvideo%2F84727385-377b-4831-ae10-f438e79adc3f" target="_new" title="" horrible bosses trailer audiences rel="external nofollow">Video: 'Horrible Bosses' Trailer (Mature Audiences)</a>

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
I dont really think that is a theory that is in play here. It is an origin story, this is how it was told. I dont think the directors are trying to outcompete the X-Men cold war story by coming in with the Nazis.

Also, it is hard to put Thor/Captain America in the same conversation as the green lantern. the primary goal of Green Lantern is to get the DC Universe more exposure to characters outside of Batman and Superman(with which Batman is really the only true successful franchise at this point). Thor/Captain America has a much bigger goal, to introduce these characters into a much bigger storyline as well as establish their own identities as tentpole franchises like they did with Iron Man, and like they keep trying to do with the Hulk.

In regards to the saturation point with lesser comics, there are complete hits(hellboy) and complete misses(watchmen). A lot of it has to do with the material. Watchmen is an incredibly difficult story to bring to the theatre, there was a lot of the story that was either wrapped up quickly or completely left out altogether. It also didnt help that there was some really shoddy acting(Malin Ackerman, im looking at you).

I think one thing that either lets a director succeed or makes him fail is the amount of artistic liberties taken with the subject material. These characters have very well defined back stories, and comic book nerds KNOW what these stories are. You cannot just make up Wolverines history and expect everyone to like it.

I don't think it was intentional either, as you said. The arguments I've seen just projected more interest in Captain America simply because of the "coincidence" that the backstory (historical) just happens to be more interesting to the majority of filmgoers. Certainly, Reynolds is probably the more acclaimed and talented actor than Chris Evans.

Transformers 3 will make HUGE, top 5 all-time bank and it will have nothing to do with the Space Race, Kennedy, Nixon, the moon landing. Doesn't matter what the story is there. The first 30 minutes could be about Ozzie and KW and as long as Chicago was ravaged by a giant robot war for one hour in CGI/IMAX/3-D, it wouldn't even matter.

Me and my daughter are going to see Chicago get ravaged in IMAX 3D this weekend. Im pretty excited, I dont really have hopes for the story being epic, but I want to see some Robots fight in 3D, especially since this is the same people that did the 3D for Avatar. Word going around by some of the people that have seen an early screening is that it is the best of the 3(which isnt saying much, I know).

Dont care too much, as long as it isnt as bad at 2

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
I was on the fence about this movie until I saw the trailer, now I am in

<a href="http://http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.msn.com%2Fmovies%2Fmovie-trailers%2F%23%2Fvideo%2F84727385-377b-4831-ae10-f438e79adc3f" target="_blank" rel="external nofollow">Video: 'Horrible Bosses' Trailer (Mature Audiences)</a>

You were on the fence about seeing a movie you've never seen a trailer for? Or do you mean until you saw THAT trailer in particular?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 11:47 PM)
You were on the fence about seeing a movie you've never seen a trailer for? Or do you mean until you saw THAT trailer in particular?

THAT trailer sucked me in. The first trailer was kind of funny, but the second red band trailer did the trick

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:36 AM)
THAT trailer sucked me in. The first trailer was kind of funny, but the second red band trailer did the trick

I know people don't like her because she is overexposed but i have always had a crush on Aniston and her as a nympho could make my head explode. Pun may or may not be intended.

So i find it funny that it is now "Transformers: Dark of the Moon", which makes no sense whatsoever. Obviously Pink Floyd sued them.

I mean, how about "Other Side of the Moon", or "Robots on the Moon" (lol). So silly.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
So i find it funny that it is now "Transformers: Dark of the Moon", which makes no sense whatsoever. Obviously Pink Floyd sued them.

Technically, Dark Side of the Moon doesn't fit with astronomical sense either, because aside from a few permanently-shadowed craters near the poles, the full moon gets illuminated by the sun once a month as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:12 AM)
Technically, Dark Side of the Moon doesn't fit with astronomical sense either, because aside from a few permanently-shadowed craters near the poles, the full moon gets illuminated by the sun once a month as well.

#baltad #hilarious

I like it. Michael Bay's crew are nothing short of inspirational. But, seriously, wtf, just drop the side and have your multi-million dollar blockbuster release with such a strange name?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
#baltad #hilarious

I like it. Michael Bay's crew are nothing short of inspirational. But, seriously, wtf, just drop the side and have your multi-million dollar blockbuster release with such a strange name?

Transformers: Permanently Shadowed Craters.

I'm calling it that from now on.

2 1/2 hours and counting for T3: JFK's Darkly Moon.

I promise to remove my new signature at some point, it's growing too large and taking up space.

Unfortunately, forgot to order in advance so no IMAX, but I'm going to the midnight 3-D showing in a nice theatre here in Manila (Megamall).

I'm sure Balta will have comments at some point, as it seems the NEST soldiers are "over the top heroes" and the Obama Administration and government in general is responsible for everything that's wrong today in the world...as well as "cover-up" and deception, of course.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
Wait, you're seriously seeing the new Transformers movie?

The reviews aren't as bad as the previous one.

Plus, my brother's been bothering me to take him since this past weekend.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:46 AM)
I know people don't like her because she is overexposed but i have always had a crush on Aniston and her as a nympho could make my head explode. Pun may or may not be intended.

+1. She's ridiculously hot, especially for her age.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
Wait, you're seriously seeing the new Transformers movie?

after all of your posting about Rom-Coms with your wife and you ask this question? Seriously?

I still want to tease Greg775 about his comments on that movie with Jack Nicholson/Streep/Baldwin/Keaton..."It's Complicated"

That was my all-time favorite post here at SoxTalk, "it's hilarious," just made me laugh thinking of greg pondering that movie and that brief, succinct comment.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
I still want to tease Greg775 about his comments on that movie with Jack Nicholson/Streep/Baldwin/Keaton..."It's Complicated"

That was my all-time favorite post here at SoxTalk, "it's hilarious," just made me laugh thinking of greg pondering that movie and that brief, succinct comment.

It has its moments. Steve Martin at that party after he got high was some pretty funny stuff

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
after all of your posting about Rom-Coms with your wife and you ask this question? Seriously?

Aal Izz Well... (obscure 3 IDIOTS quote)

I don't care about the story, I'm just looking forward to the 3D, surround sound and the last hour of battle scenes.

A majority of the reviews are in the positive range and it's in the high 50's/low 60's at rottentomatoes. Cars 2 is getting much more ravaged, or Bad Teacher.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)

Hey, seeing those with her keeps her happy. It's not like I go out and see them because I want to! There's a big difference. I can't imagine spending my money and time seeing T3, and I'd sit through "Going the Distance" three more times before doing so.

EDIT: Maybe that's going a bit far. It'd be neat to see what they do to Chicago, but I'd still bet I never see the movie.

Edited by Steve9347