2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
I still want to tease Greg775 about his comments on that movie with Jack Nicholson/Streep/Baldwin/Keaton..."It's Complicated"

That was my all-time favorite post here at SoxTalk, "it's hilarious," just made me laugh thinking of greg pondering that movie and that brief, succinct comment.

I thought that movie was hilarious.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:09 AM)
Hey, seeing those with her keeps her happy. It's not like I go out and see them because I want to! There's a big difference. I can't imagine spending my money and time seeing T3, and I'd sit through "Going the Distance" three more times before doing so.

EDIT: Maybe that's going a bit far. It'd be neat to see what they do to Chicago, but I'd still bet I never see the movie.

I put my fandom of Transformers similar to what you have(or had) for the Terminator Salvation movie. By no means do I think this is going to be a oscar winning picture, but I totally believe it will be worth it to see this movie in IMAX 3D

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
I put my fandom of Transformers similar to what you have(or had) for the Terminator Salvation movie. By no means do I think this is going to be a oscar winning picture, but I totally believe it will be worth it to see this movie in IMAX 3D

I can't hate on that. If you love Transformers, go to Transformers.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
Although Salvation was a good movie, and Transformers 2 was one of the worst-received films of all-time.

Michael Bay recognized and admitted to that.

http://screenrant.com/transformers-3-reviews-benk-121268/

Like I said, these guys buried this movie back when it was announced. I was very surprised they gave it a favorable review

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:10 AM)
So i find it funny that it is now "Transformers: Dark of the Moon", which makes no sense whatsoever.

"Rise of the Fallen" didnt make sense other than it was a reference to Megatron coming back, but ultimately it had another meaning. Movie titles are movie titles, it's the content that matters.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
The reviews aren't as bad as the previous one.

Plus, my brother's been bothering me to take him since this past weekend.

The reviews are getting more horrible by the minute. This will end up at around 30% at best on rottentomatoes and it is made by Michael Bay so the best you can hope for is a mediocre movie.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
I somehow got through Transformers 1 although I was barely awake while watching and I never saw #2. So how is Megatron handled in the films? Does he turn into a handgun like in the original cartoon?

He's an airplane type of thing.

867-550x-megatron1.jpg

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
I somehow got through Transformers 1 although I was barely awake while watching and I never saw #2. So how is Megatron handled in the films? Does he turn into a handgun like in the original cartoon?

He turned into a large cannon once in the first movie, for the rest of the movies he splits time between being a tank and a jet

As an aside, it is too bad that they don't have someone with even an ounce of talent directing these films as opposed to Michael Bay. Michael Bay's films have great effects but fail on every other level. Hell, even the action in Transformers 2 was horribly done.

Transformers 3, about all I can say is that it was better than the 2nd but not as good as the first.

I don't want to give anything away about the plot, simply that it's worth it for the special effects and battle sequence alone (especially for those so familiar with Chicago)....the 3-D was very well done, but still nothing has come close to Avatar in that regard.

In the end, it's definitely a movie if you're anything of a fan of the series that you should see in IMAX or 3-D.

For those of you who prefer movies like Source Code, Inception, Limitless or The Adjustment Bureau, it will obviously be a huge disappointment on a "plot" and thinking level. No surprise for a Bay film.

The IMAX theatre was sold out but the 3-D stadium theatre I attended probably 65% filled to capacity.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/110629981

Ebert shredded it. One star.

No matter what you say about it, there's no way this movie was anything close to as bad as Transformers 2.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)

Love this:

Dark of the Moon is a visually ugly film with an incoherent plot, wooden characters and inane dialog. It provided me with one of the more unpleasant experiences I've had at the movies.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:30 PM)
Love this:

My favorite:

The series exists to show gigantic and hideous robots hammering one another. So it does. The last hour involves a battle for the universe which for some reason is held at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive in Chicago.

Ebert is a snobby movie douche. Coming from a guy that hates these movies (and most of the recent comic book retreads) I recognize that these movies are made to entertain, not win Oscars for best film. It's supposed to have load explosions, cool robot battles, hot women, etc. It's not designed to make us reflect on the morality of robots or existence of alien beings. Clearly a gazillion people are entertained since these movies make a s*** ton of money year after year. f*** Ebert.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
Ebert is a snobby movie douche. Coming from a guy that hates these movies (and most of the recent comic book retreads) I recognize that these movies are made to entertain, not win Oscars for best film. It's supposed to have load explosions, cool robot battles, hot women, etc. It's not designed to make us reflect on the morality of robots or existence of alien beings. Clearly a gazillion people are entertained since these movies make a s*** ton of money year after year. f*** Ebert.

Yeah, I totally agree.

Sometimes you just want to see giant alien robots blowing stuff up. It's not that complicated.

Like i have said multiple times, I dont go see these movies because I am expecting cinematic masterpieces. I dont care if Ebert likes it or not, he has backed plenty of movies that have made me say "what?"

What do people have against comic book movies? I'm not including Transformers in this question, but rather superhero movies. In the last 10 years or so, I have found the majority of comic book movies to be good. And the good ones are usually very, very good. I've gone so far as to say that this genre of movie is joining Westerns and gangster films as the American movie genres. In fact, it's sort of taking their place since those other two have waned over the years. Good Westerns or gangster movies only come out every few years anymore.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)

It doesn't need to be deep or existential but it isn't a lot to ask that there at least be a not utterly ridiculous plot, characters with any depth whatsoever (or that at least are somewhat likable or hateable), and humor that wasn't apparently written by an 8 year old. Not to mention how about not creating two characters that make Jar Jar Binks look like a cinematic masterpiece. The 2nd Transformers was complete garbage and while taste in movies are subjective I can't fathom how anyone over 12 can like that movie.

There is nothing snobby about ripping on piece of s*** movies. He shouldn't dumb himself down just because the public makes something popular.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
It doesn't need to be deep or existential but it isn't a lot to ask that there at least be a not utterly ridiculous plot, characters with any depth whatsoever (or that at least are somewhat likable or hateable), and humor that wasn't apparently written by an 8 year old. Not to mention how about not creating two characters that make Jar Jar Binks look like a cinematic masterpiece. The 2nd Transformers was complete garbage and while taste in movies are subjective I can't fathom how anyone over 12 can like that movie.

There is nothing snobby about ripping on piece of s*** movies. He shouldn't dumb himself down just because the public makes something popular.

i will give you the 8 year old humor, Bay really has set the bar low on his comedic dialogue. and it is no secret that the twins were highly offensive ridiculous characters that really had no reason to be created.

the thing about this recent movie is that this is a major plot that was featured in the cartoons, so he is actually trying to get the franchise back on track.

when it comes to ebert, i just dont need to read his reviews of movies like this, i already know what it will be.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
In regards to the saturation point with lesser comics, there are complete hits(hellboy) and complete misses(watchmen). A lot of it has to do with the material. Watchmen is an incredibly difficult story to bring to the theatre, there was a lot of the story that was either wrapped up quickly or completely left out altogether. It also didnt help that there was some really shoddy acting(Malin Ackerman, im looking at you).

I loved the Watchmen movie and thought its ending was far better than the ending in the graphic novel. I watched the movie first, and I understand why people have complaints about turning it into a movie, but I really enjoyed the movie. I think it showed what it needed to, erased a few unnecessary storylines that couldn't fit into the time constraints of a movie and maintained most of the character intricacies. Rorschach was fantastic in the movie. I realize I'm in the minority with saying the movie did the graphic novel a justice, but I truly believe it. It was a great read that was well thought out so I can see how it's almost offensive to trim it down, but I think the movie was still a fantastic story with good visuals and strong characters.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
What do people have against comic book movies? I'm not including Transformers in this question, but rather superhero movies. In the last 10 years or so, I have found the majority of comic book movies to be good. And the good ones are usually very, very good. I've gone so far as to say that this genre of movie is joining Westerns and gangster films as the American movie genres. In fact, it's sort of taking their place since those other two have waned over the years. Good Westerns or gangster movies only come out every few years anymore.

I think it's just overkill at this point. Did we really need a Green Lantern movie?

----

I saw the new X Men movied last night. I thought it was as mediocre as the previous versions, not including the solid Wolverine movie. Some things were very good. I liked McAvoy as Xavier a lot, but I was hoping for a little more from the relationships. A few of the things didn't really jive with the other movies. I think I just had my expectations set a bit too high. I found it to be average in a lot of ways.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
I loved the Watchmen movie and thought its ending was far better than the ending in the graphic novel. I watched the movie first, and I understand why people have complaints about turning it into a movie, but I really enjoyed the movie. I think it showed what it needed to, erased a few unnecessary storylines that couldn't fit into the time constraints of a movie and maintained most of the character intricacies. Rorschach was fantastic in the movie. I realize I'm in the minority with saying the movie did the graphic novel a justice, but I truly believe it. It was a great read that was well thought out so I can see how it's almost offensive to trim it down, but I think the movie was still a fantastic story with good visuals and strong characters.

I think it's just overkill at this point. Did we really need a Green Lantern movie?

----

I saw the new X Men movied last night. I thought it was as mediocre as the previous versions, not including the solid Wolverine movie. Some things were very good. I liked McAvoy as Xavier a lot, but I was hoping for a little more from the relationships. A few of the things didn't really jive with the other movies. I think I just had my expectations set a bit too high. I found it to be average in a lot of ways.

I loved Watchmen. And I'm pretty sure that the new X-Men wasn't supposed to be connected to the other ones, so the differences in storylines didn't matter.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Watchmen was really accurate to the graphic novel despite that they eliminated the "space creature" and changed it into a Dr. Manhattan conspiracy.

There's a deluxe version where they intersperse the Black Freighter story with the live action storyline and mirror the novel even closer.

I haven't seen the new Transformers movie but plan on doing so soon. I've taken my son to see the other two, and we both enjoyed them. I'll agree that the first was better than the second. I don't see the reason for having Ebert even review a Michael Bay movie. He does not like the director, and I remember a few personal jabs towards Bay in his review of Transformers II. For a movie like Transformers or X-Men or the like, I'll read movie-goer reviews on Yahoo before I put any stock in a review by the likes of Roger Ebert. If I want to see explosions and robots beating the crap out of each other, I'm going to turn my brain off, grab a bucket of popcorn, and enjoy.