2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
Ebert is a snobby movie douche. Coming from a guy that hates these movies (and most of the recent comic book retreads) I recognize that these movies are made to entertain, not win Oscars for best film. It's supposed to have load explosions, cool robot battles, hot women, etc. It's not designed to make us reflect on the morality of robots or existence of alien beings. Clearly a gazillion people are entertained since these movies make a s*** ton of money year after year. f*** Ebert.

You exactly nailed my view on movies. Sometimes, I dont want to have to "think" about a movie, or be wowed by it's incredible depth of and character development. Sometimes, I want to see s*** blow up and have a good time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 29, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
Just think "District 9" for an outlandish sci-fi premise that turned out to be an excellent film.

District 9 sucked. Absolutely sucked. I hated it. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
District 9 sucked. Absolutely sucked. I hated it. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did.

HOW DARE YOU...

...agree with me!

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:21 AM)
I dont know why I didnt like it. The concept was VERY interesting. I like that. I think, maybe, I had different expectations of what it would be. I dunno. Maybe if the main human character wasnt so annoying I would have liked it more.

I loved the movie but hated how big of a p**** the main guy was. When he escaped from the lab where they were about to dissect him alive, I couldn't fathom how he didn't kill the people who were going to do it. I consider myself a pretty good person, but I can't even describe the things I would do to a person who was about to kill me if I turned the tables on them.

I liked how much of a wuss the main character was in District 9, because he created a bunch of conflict when he could have fixed things.

I still love watching when he gets in the Mech and destroys the gang. The bullet magnet was just awesome

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
You exactly nailed my view on movies. Sometimes, I dont want to have to "think" about a movie, or be wowed by it's incredible depth of and character development. Sometimes, I want to see s*** blow up and have a good time.

Agreed, plus the explosions probably DID make him crap his pants for real.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
I liked how much of a wuss the main character was in District 9, because he created a bunch of conflict when he could have fixed things.

I still love watching when he gets in the Mech and destroys the gang. The bullet magnet was just awesome

That's true, and it directly led to the events of the film. But he had all that power by the time he escaped from the lab. I'm just a big fan of revenge, I guess.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Great article on grantland by Bill Simmons about Ryan Reynolds.

Yeah I was duped into thinking he was a star of sorts. Probably because I was fan of 2 guys a girl and a pizza place. Although Simmons makes a bunch of terrible points in there. First, Adventureland was a good movie, equal to, if not better than the overrated Dazed and Confused (oh! they're smoking pot! an instant classic!)

Also, his list of 24 stars is atrocious.

Galifinakis? Really? I guy that's never headlined his own movie is a star? He's not even funny (seriously, go watch his "standup," it's brutal).

Also, Affleck? Really? Are they friends? Did he ignore that whole decade or so where he was considered one of the biggest flops in hollywood history? Or is it just because thay bohth hail frohm fackin' beantown?

And Gyllenhaal? Ugh.

I get he's not saying the "best" actors out there, but come on. Gyllenhaal is basically Reynolds right? Didn't Prince of Persia flop just as much as the Green Hornet?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Great article on grantland by Bill Simmons about Ryan Reynolds.

It's ok. I actually used to be a huge Ryan Reynolds fan when he just stuck to comedies. Van Wilder, Waiting, Just Friends... he's hilarious in those. He's even money in romcoms... I can't take him seriously as an actor, though, and certainly not as Hal Jordan or the bad dad in Amityville Horror.

I will say this, though, the content on Grantland isn't as top-notch as I'm used to with Simmons. He's clearly trying to churn out too much of it to get the site going.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Yeah I was duped into thinking he was a star of sorts. Probably because I was fan of 2 guys a girl and a pizza place. Although Simmons makes a bunch of terrible points in there. First, Adventureland was a good movie, equal to, if not better than the overrated Dazed and Confused (oh! they're smoking pot! an instant classic!)

Also, his list of 24 stars is atrocious.

Galifinakis? Really? I guy that's never headlined his own movie is a star? He's not even funny (seriously, go watch his "standup," it's brutal).

Also, Affleck? Really? Are they friends? Did he ignore that whole decade or so where he was considered one of the biggest flops in hollywood history? Or is it just because thay bohth hail frohm fackin' beantown?

And Gyllenhaal? Ugh.

I get he's not saying the "best" actors out there, but come on. Gyllenhaal is basically Reynolds right? Didn't Prince of Persia flop just as much as the Green Hornet?

I loved that show!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
That's true, and it directly led to the events of the film. But he had all that power by the time he escaped from the lab. I'm just a big fan of revenge, I guess.

he got his revenge, it just wasnt immediate

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)

When I was in high school or early in college I was that way. Now that I have other things to spend money on, and I have to think about "Will my wife enjoy this"...I've found myself wanting you know, plots.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
When I was in high school or early in college I was that way. Now that I have other things to spend money on, and I have to think about "Will my wife enjoy this"...I've found myself wanting you know, plots.

"Will my wife enjoy this" doesnt always mesh with "plots" in my life. Some Rom Com plots are absolutely terrible and women eat those things up

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
"Will my wife enjoy this" doesnt always mesh with "plots" in my life. Some Rom Com plots are absolutely terrible and women eat those things up

And when I have to see those because there's something she wants to see, I get to hang out with Mr. Jim Beam.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
And when I have to see those because there's something she wants to see, I get to hang out with Mr. Jim Beam.

Mr Beam is a fun guy until the next day. Then he is mean