2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Yeah I was duped into thinking he was a star of sorts. Probably because I was fan of 2 guys a girl and a pizza place. Although Simmons makes a bunch of terrible points in there. First, Adventureland was a good movie, equal to, if not better than the overrated Dazed and Confused (oh! they're smoking pot! an instant classic!)

Also, his list of 24 stars is atrocious.

Galifinakis? Really? I guy that's never headlined his own movie is a star? He's not even funny (seriously, go watch his "standup," it's brutal).

Also, Affleck? Really? Are they friends? Did he ignore that whole decade or so where he was considered one of the biggest flops in hollywood history? Or is it just because thay bohth hail frohm fackin' beantown?

And Gyllenhaal? Ugh.

I get he's not saying the "best" actors out there, but come on. Gyllenhaal is basically Reynolds right? Didn't Prince of Persia flop just as much as the Green Hornet?

Prince of Persia was kind of a flop in the US but made 335 million worldwide.....so overall can't really call it a flop.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (onedude @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
Prince of Persia was kind of a flop in the US but made 335 million worldwide.....so overall can't really call it a flop.

That movie really wasn't that bad, and yes, I also loved Ryan Reynolds in Van Wilder. Heck...Definitely, Maybe is one of the few chick flicks my wife has made me watch the last 5 years that I didn't mind (I do love me some Isla Borat).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
Wow I didnt see the hate for Dazed and Confused.

Its not just about smoking pot, its about hilarious lines like "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age. "

Wait, people hate Dazed and Confused? How?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Yeah I was duped into thinking he was a star of sorts. Probably because I was fan of 2 guys a girl and a pizza place. Although Simmons makes a bunch of terrible points in there. First, Adventureland was a good movie, equal to, if not better than the overrated Dazed and Confused (oh! they're smoking pot! an instant classic!)

Also, his list of 24 stars is atrocious.

Galifinakis? Really? I guy that's never headlined his own movie is a star? He's not even funny (seriously, go watch his "standup," it's brutal).

Also, Affleck? Really? Are they friends? Did he ignore that whole decade or so where he was considered one of the biggest flops in hollywood history? Or is it just because thay bohth hail frohm fackin' beantown?

And Gyllenhaal? Ugh.

I get he's not saying the "best" actors out there, but come on. Gyllenhaal is basically Reynolds right? Didn't Prince of Persia flop just as much as the Green Hornet?

We seem to disagree on a lot of things. I think his standup is hilarious.

And Jake Gyllenhaal is a legitimately good actor. He's not great, but he's worlds better than Ryan Reynolds.

Its not just about smoking pot, its about hilarious lines like "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age. "

50's greaser dominant male monkey motherf***er

I mean I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it was the quintessential coming of age story or anything. I felt like Adventureland, which is basically the same idea, did that story better.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
We seem to disagree on a lot of things. I think his standup is hilarious.

And Jake Gyllenhaal is a legitimately good actor. He's not great, but he's worlds better than Ryan Reynolds.

Ugh, really? Whatever I watched was him sweating profusely while sitting at a piano, pretending that he was going to play a song and continually going from joke to joke. Except none of the jokes (one liner observations) were very creative or funny. I dunno, different strokes for different folks I guess.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
Ugh, really? Whatever I watched was him sweating profusely while sitting at a piano, pretending that he was going to play a song and continually going from joke to joke. Except none of the jokes (one liner observations) were very creative or funny. I dunno, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I find his act to be absolutely hilarious.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
I mean I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it was the quintessential coming of age story or anything. I felt like Adventureland, which is basically the same idea, did that story better.

I really dont see Adventureland and Dazed and Confused being anything alike. At all. And I really like Adventureland, and love D&C. Im with Milkman, we just dont see eye to eye in this thread right now

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
I really dont see Adventureland and Dazed and Confused being anything alike. At all. And I really like Adventureland, and love D&C. Im with Milkman, we just dont see eye to eye in this thread right now

That's the great thing about movies

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)
That's the great thing about movies

thats the great thing about this thread. We dont all agree on what movies we like, but we all agree we love movies. except for bigsqwert, because he is just a hater who only likes The Room.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
It's ok. I actually used to be a huge Ryan Reynolds fan when he just stuck to comedies. Van Wilder, Waiting, Just Friends... he's hilarious in those. He's even money in romcoms... I can't take him seriously as an actor, though, and certainly not as Hal Jordan or the bad dad in Amityville Horror.

I will say this, though, the content on Grantland isn't as top-notch as I'm used to with Simmons. He's clearly trying to churn out too much of it to get the site going.

I found the Ryan Reynolds/Will Smith article great, but overall I agree about Grantland. I don't even click on some of the articles, just because it's a topic that I don't want to read about, that they are writing just to write and fill up space.

Adventureland was a solid movie, but it doesn't even belong in a discussion with Dazed & Confused.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
I'd like to underrate her.

You got that right. But seriously, I watch actresses like Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz and Liv Tyler and I want to take my own life because they're so bad. Page keeps my ass glued to the damn television. I won't even drink when I watch a movie with her. She's so stimulating.

That article on Reynolds was interesting.

No way that I'd consider Zach G. a star though. Can't even imagine watching a movie with him carrying it.

Some interesting omissions from his list of 24: Jack Black, Owen Wilson, Colin Farrell, Bruce Willis, Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Russell Brand, etc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)

There is almost nothing in common with the two movies.