2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched "Wall Street 2" on Sunday night. If Oliver Stone could stop himself from pushing his own agenda in films, they'd be much shorter and much better.

All in all, it was pretty rushed and pretty dumb, which is unfortunate with such great acting throughout.

In fact, I actually enjoyed the movie despite the bad storytelling and jumbled screen graphics simply because of the brilliant acting jobs done by Shia LeBeouf, Michael Douglas, James Brolin, and Michelle Williams (though too much crying for her, I guess simply because she's good at it).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
I wonder if we'll see blonde, metallic Batman replacement, haha.

I loved that whole storyline way, way too much.

I dont know if Nolan would be able to bring in Jean-Paul Valley, although that would be crazy

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
Huh?

Netflix Inc. boosted by 60% the price of its cheapest movie-rental plan that includes streaming and DVD rentals, triggering an outcry among customers who still use the disc format despite the growing popularity of online movies.

The Los Gatos, Calif., company said it will no longer offer a $9.99-a-month plan that allows members to stream an unlimited number of movies over the Internet and to rent one DVD at a time. In its place, Netflix subscribers will have to pay $15.98 a month for a plan that combines an existing $7.99-a-month streaming-only movie service with a new $7.99-a-month DVD-only rental plan that lets them check out one disc at a time.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405...l#ixzz1RvqpHCBW

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
So Netflix is drastically raising their prices.

This is probably why.

In the not so distant past, Netflix was known mainly for its red envelopes. The DVD-rental-by-mail service was the company's core, and streaming video was a side perk for subscribers.

Fast forward to 2011, and online movies and TV couldn't be hotter. Google, Amazon, Hulu and others have jumped into the fray -- putting studios in the power position. They want to be paid more for the content they're providing.

That spells trouble for Netflix's streaming content costs.

"Netflix has another year or two on most of these contracts, and then the game completely changes," says Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities.

Pachter predicts Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

When streaming video was new, Netflix was able to secure contracts with the likes of Warner Bros. Studios and MTV to license big TV and film catalogues for about $5 million to $10 million per year. This time around, Pachter says, those costs could increase more than tenfold.

"The content owners realize they can't give Netflix all the leverage," he says. "Netflix had the power when they were the only bidder. But you don't have as much leverage when you suddenly have competition."

Netflix expands to 43 new countries

Netflix subscribers got a taste of the studios' new hardball approach last month, when hundreds of Sony (SNE) movies -- including high-profile titles like "The Social Network" and "Salt" -- abruptly vanished from Netflix's "watch now" catalog.

Yeah but isnt it foolish?

If Netflix could monopolize the market and have given Blockbuster etc the kill blow, they could have renegotiated better.

If Blockbuster was smart, they drop their price to $9.99. Netflix is month to month, I can cancel any time. I also think its foolish to increase so dramatically. If they had gone from $9.99 to $11.99 I probably dont blink, and then a year later add another $2.

Its just a shock to see such a jump, with absolutely no middle ground (ie a plan where I get unlimited downloads and 1 or 2 movies a month for $9.99)

Again, especially with streaming content rapidly becoming dominant, it's not just blockbuster. If a studio wants to sign a deal with Hulu, Amazon, or who knows what else in the near future, they can block Netflix out and essentially kill them if more than a couple do so.

I understand I just think the bigger share of the market Netflix had before their contracts expire, the easier it would be for them to defray any potential increase in the contracts.

If I have 10mil subscribers and have to pay $100mil more that is $10 per subscriber. If I have 100mil subscribers and have to pay $100mil more that is $1 per.

I just think its a gamble to so drastically raise the price, without giving any more service and without making the promise that all dvd's will be streaming. That is my problem, I dont really want dvd's just not everything is streamed, so every once in a while I need to get a disk.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
Supposed to be a trailer for it hooked to HP7_2 this weekend.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
the teaser for The Dark Knight Rises will be released in front of Harry Potter this weekend. the description i read of the the trailer on screenrant.com gave me goosebumps

I win!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
I understand I just think the bigger share of the market Netflix had before their contracts expire, the easier it would be for them to defray any potential increase in the contracts.

If I have 10mil subscribers and have to pay $100mil more that is $10 per subscriber. If I have 100mil subscribers and have to pay $100mil more that is $1 per.

I just think its a gamble to so drastically raise the price, without giving any more service and without making the promise that all dvd's will be streaming. That is my problem, I dont really want dvd's just not everything is streamed, so every once in a while I need to get a disk.

Netflix is on the verge of becoming irrelevant in the streaming game. Their contracts are up and their pricing model doesn't allow them to pay as much for the movie rights as other, deeper-pocketed competitors. They almost had to do this. Unfortunately for this long time subscriber, unless they come up with a better streaming selection, i'll be getting rid of Netflix altogether. It's been about 4-5 weeks since anything good has come to the streaming portion of the site.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:04 PM)
Netflix is on the verge of becoming irrelevant in the streaming game. Their contracts are up and their pricing model doesn't allow them to pay as much for the movie rights as other, deeper-pocketed competitors. They almost had to do this. Unfortunately for this long time subscriber, unless they come up with a better streaming selection, i'll be getting rid of Netflix altogether. It's been about 4-5 weeks since anything good has come to the streaming portion of the site.

coming to the same conclusions, where else are you looking? hulu is good for a few shows but not much else.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
coming to the same conclusions, where else are you looking? hulu is good for a few shows but not much else.

While netflix is dominant...it's difficult for other companies to organize things. If Netflix is starting to wither on the vine, then other companies will become stronger.

Other streaming video options didn't really show up while the Youtubes had everything, but once Viacom and others started suing youtube and moving their content off, all the other TV-streaming sites started popping up.