2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
I am in the apparent vast minority of people who were let down by Deathly Hallows 2. It is admittedly because I can't avoid making comparisons between the book and the film.

I completely understand the need to streamline a story and cut out a lot of peripheral detail for the sake of a compelling and tight film with such a shorty run time. But there were so many plot deviations that they seemed to do for no reason at all and that didn't enhance the storyline in any way and it was really irritating.

I will go out and see it again soon (with the advantage of having not just sat through 21 hours of prior Potter installments like I did before yesterday's midnight showing), and hopefully I warm up to it a bit more.

I will end by stating that I strongly disagree with caufield's earlier assertion that the film versions of Deathly Hallows were better than the book. Like all of the other Potter film installments. This last one isn't in the same league — or even in the same solar system as the source material.

It was a decent film, but I sorta had the same feeling walking out of it that I had walking out of LOTR: Return of the King, the pacing itself is off for cinema.

In ROTK, you've got that incredible buildup to a giant battle, then the battle ends almost all of a sudden without warning, and the movie practically seems like it should end there, then you have to stop and rebuild the emotion in a period of like 5 minutes.

There were what, 2, maybe 3 of those in this film. Made it hard to keep the energy of the film going and hard to get into the real end scene.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
If you liked Mirrormask, then you should like Imaginarium, they have similar alternate realities. My daughter loves Mirrormask, I have rented it for her a few times

I honestly can't tell if that was an off-handed dig or not, and excuse me if I thought it was and I'm incorrect.

I'm just a big fan of films that force me to stretch my imagination. I love movies like City of Lost Children and Pan's Labyrinth (as an easy one). Even just that quick bit in It's Kind of a Funny Story where the perspective flies through the city that the main character drew in his art class - love it. True escapism in a film.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
I honestly can't tell if that was an off-handed dig or not, and excuse me if I thought it was and I'm incorrect.

I'm just a big fan of films that force me to stretch my imagination. I love movies like City of Lost Children and Pan's Labyrinth (as an easy one). Even just that quick bit in It's Kind of a Funny Story where the perspective flies through the city that the main character drew in his art class - love it. True escapism in a film.

Not at all, I like the movie as well. I throw a lot of different movies from my childhood at my daughter(she is 10, 11 in September) and she usually likes the stuff I liked, we just watched "A Princess Bride" together for the first time and she was really into it. I am a big fan of anything Henson, and some of the darker Henson works like Mirrormask and The Dark Crystal are my favorites.

Have you watched Imaginarium yet? Tom Waits is pretty awesome. I still cant decide if Lily Cole is hot. Her body is amazing, her face looks like a porcelain doll

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 16, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
I saw Harry Potter last night. It was really awesome. very well done. I felt the first quarter was a little rushed, but the last three fourths was spectacular.

Oh,

and Hermine in bellatrix's outfit

... oh baby!

I was angry that Harry and Ron took their shirts off but she did not.

DH2 was good, but not the greatest. As someone that never read the books and never knew the ending until I watched it

I was upset more people didn't die, HP especially. Way too Hollywood-ending for me, especially the 19 years later part.

I think 5 is still my favorite. Someone else was complaining about the 3d. IMO it didn't do THAT much to enhance this movie, but it's still a neat effect that makes all the wide shots of Hogwarts that much better (btw the scene construction in this movie was amazing. Hogwarts looked awesome). The best 3d film scene ever was in HP 5, the last 5-10 minutes with the fight scene in the ministry. Wand fights, sand everywhere...amazing. But I don't get the people that don't like 3d. It's like complaining that surround sound doesn't make the movie better because stereo is just as good. Nope. The addition of depth of field draws me into a movie a lot more than 2d. Now, price to quality ratio....that's an argument I agree on. $20 bucks for the imax 3d is f***ing ridiculous.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)

I was angry that Harry and Ron took their shirts off but she did not.

I would be lying if I said I didnt think the same thing....

On another note:

When Molly was stepping up to fight Bellatrix, you could almost FELL the anticipation in the theater if she was going to say the line.

Jenks,

Agree on the 3d, for $20 at an imax thats a little steep. I had it on a regular screen for $14, so thats not to much of a premium and the reality is I dont go to the movies much (usually Netfflix, etc) so when I go, I try and get an experience that is better than just watching tv.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
Not at all, I like the movie as well. I throw a lot of different movies from my childhood at my daughter(she is 10, 11 in September) and she usually likes the stuff I liked, we just watched "A Princess Bride" together for the first time and she was really into it. I am a big fan of anything Henson, and some of the darker Henson works like Mirrormask and The Dark Crystal are my favorites.

Have you watched Imaginarium yet? Tom Waits is pretty awesome. I still cant decide if Lily Cole is hot. Her body is amazing, her face looks like a porcelain doll

I have not yet watched Imaginarium, probably watch it later this week and I'll let you know what I think. Good call on The Dark Crystal, haven't seen that in a while.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 17, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
Jenks,

Agree on the 3d, for $20 at an imax thats a little steep. I had it on a regular screen for $14, so thats not to much of a premium and the reality is I dont go to the movies much (usually Netfflix, etc) so when I go, I try and get an experience that is better than just watching tv.

Damn you have some expensive theaters! I got 3D for $12.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
That looked like a made for SyFy channel movie to me to be perfectly honest.

the rooftop scene did, certainly. but it is a teaser for a movie that comes out a year from now, that part will probably get better. the rest of it looked fine

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Ugh, OUT. Do we need a reboot of a movie that came out less than 10 years ago?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Wait, they're already rebooting Spiderman?? Hollywood is clearly running out of ideas.

People are buying tickets to those type of movies in record numbers. People need to stop going before Hollywood will stop making them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
People are buying tickets to those type of movies in record numbers. People need to stop going before Hollywood will stop making them.

Bingo

They could reboot Spiderman every other year and each time it will make no less than $100M.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:49 PM)
Bingo

They could reboot Spiderman every other year and each time it will make no less than $100M.

Run it in 3D and you probably make at least double that.

"Spiderman Spins His Web" in 3D equals $400 million world wide take.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
Like, say, Batman Begins?

Batman - 1989

Batman & Robin - 1997

Batman Begins - 2005

difference from first - 16 years

difference from last - 8 years

Spider-Man - 2002

Spider-Man 3 - 2007

Spiderman: Lame - 2012

difference from first - 10 years

difference from last - 5 years

I think the difference here, really, is that the original Batman is a generation ago and told a very disimilar origin story, and that franchise derailed completely (see nipples and ice hockey vs Arnold Schwarzenegger), while Spider-Man still seems recent, and despite the fact that the third one sucked, people liked Tobey McGwire.

Whereas Batman Begins was a true, needed reboot, the new Spiderman seems to be preparing to tell a nearly identical story, save rightfully using a web-tool vs having Spider-Man randomly able to sling goo from his wrists. Other than that, we've still got Uncle Ben, Mary Jane, etc, and what seems to be a very similar storyline, but with a different actor.

It seems rushed, but I guess when you plan to make a gazillion Avenger movies you need a younger Spiderman.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
I agree with everything you said. And yes, it was her attitude I found appealing. :)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
Still trying to decide which one I liked more, Bad Teacher or Horrible Bosses.

I guess I'd have to go with Horrible Bosses simply because the ensemble of talent (Foxx, Spacey, Farrell, Aniston, Sutherland) in that movie.

Maybe it's because Justin Timberlake's character was so over the top annoying...and Lucy Punch (the teacher across the hallway) was great for awhile...but her act grew thin too as the movie went on.

Finally, there's just no way that any teacher (even in the worst public school in America) could have gotten away with all those things. When I started teaching 2002, you had to get permission from 2-3 different people in the building (instructional coach/at least one Vice Principal) just to show a movie ONCE, in a single period, and you had to write an extensive lesson plan linking it to your curriculum/textbook.

Horrible Bosses was great. Loved it.

Caufield I didn't realize teaching had become so hands on.

Is it total beuracracy (sp) for a teacher now? Tell us some more horror stories of meddling of higher ups in the teaching profession.

Why can't you show movies? Do they think you are being lazy as a teacher?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
I think the difference here, really, is that the original Batman is a generation ago and told a very disimilar origin story, and that franchise derailed completely (see nipples and ice hockey vs Arnold Schwarzenegger), while Spider-Man still seems recent, and despite the fact that the third one sucked, people liked Tobey McGwire.

Whereas Batman Begins was a true, needed reboot, the new Spiderman seems to be preparing to tell a nearly identical story, save rightfully using a web-tool vs having Spider-Man randomly able to sling goo from his wrists. Other than that, we've still got Uncle Ben, Mary Jane, etc, and what seems to be a very similar storyline, but with a different actor.

It seems rushed, but I guess when you plan to make a gazillion Avenger movies you need a younger Spiderman.

The dark, serious Nolan Batmans are nothing like the Burton or Schumacher Batmans. That series needed to be rebooted.

This Spiderman looks like the same as the first Raimi one, only crappy.