2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 05:40 PM)
Those still get made.

no. if a reboot is made, all other movies stop production. you, a resident movie aficionado, should know this. And you should also be crying about the quality of a teaser trailer released a full calender year before the movie is released, and before filming has even finished. silly

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 12:57 AM)
I'm not a big fan of remakes in general, but The Thing is a pretty good candidate for it. The original, while very good, is also sort of cheesy in its effects. If they do it correctly, the new one can be good.

This will be a remake of the remake. While not a shot-for-shot remake of the Carpenter version, it obviously is really derivative of that one. To be expected from the people who raped Romero with their dawn of the Dead remake.

That said, I'll most likely see this when it comes to NetFlix.

the thing is a prequel to the original. im pretty sure one of the characters is supposed to be kurt russells characters brother(edit: nevermind, they wrote that out). this movie is supposed to explain how the creature showed up on their doorstep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(2011_film)

Matthijs's film will take place right before the first film, following the exploits of the Norwegian and American scientists who originally discovered the alien.

Taking place three days before the events of the John Carpenter film,[3] Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and her two assistants Davida Morris (Davetta Sherwood) and Adam Goodman (Eric Christian Olsen) join a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across a crashed extraterrestrial spaceship buried in the ice of Antarctica. They discover a creature that seems to have died in the crash eons ago.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
They could have made the Dark Tower series, which was recently canceled.

There's still a chance somebody else picks it up.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
If they're ever going to make another Stephen King movie, the simplest and possibly greatest would be Running Man. The movie that they did make was an abomination and had only the slightest resemblance to the book. That book was the first one I honestly did not want to stop reading. A movie that follows it pretty strictly would be both amazing and doable.

I imagine that they would have to change the very ending, though.

Agreed.

I'd also like to see the Long Walk made into a movie. As long as they didn't veer too far away from the book.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
the thing is a prequel to the original. im pretty sure one of the characters is supposed to be kurt russells characters brother(edit: nevermind, they wrote that out). this movie is supposed to explain how the creature showed up on their doorstep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(2011_film)

Making that prequel makes sense, and the film should be able to pack a lot of scares into it, but. . . EVERYBODY AT THE FIRST COMPOUND DIES, so it's not like there is going to be a whole lot of suspense regarding the outcome.

I think I would rather have had them pick up from the end of the Carpenter film. The last thing you see is THINGdog alive and well and heading off to (we assume) ravage civilization. That would have been the better choice imo.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Anything that gets Mary Elizabeth Winstead on screen is ok with me.

Where do you acquire so many crushes on actresses? :lolhitting

I had no idea who that girl was or what she was from. And after looking up her credits and having seen some of the movies, I still can't single her out.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
I had no idea who that girl was or what she was from. And after looking up her credits and having seen some of the movies, I still can't single her out.

All of this.

Save the ending a sentence with a preposition; I wouldn't have done that.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 15, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
I just watched Sucker Punch last night. Absolutely loved it. Anyone else? It got a 6.3 on IMDB but I think it is way underrated.

I LOVED Sucker Punch.

My friends ripped on me for weeks, but I don't care. :)

Edited by SouthSideTeacher

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)

Doesn't look astounding to me. Odd seeing Gosling in that role, plus it doesn't even look as cool as The Transports or the Fast/Furious movies. I'll still probably watch it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
So Captain America was pretty awesome.

Also rented "Limitless", and that rocked.

Agreed on both. I saw Cap on Wednesday and it was a solid flick. I like the Avengers teaser they have post-credits as well. Looks pretty promising.

Limitless was one I was unsure of but I thought it was a good flick. Cooper was a pretty solid lead in that movie. I'd like to see what he can do in other roles of a similar nature.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
So Captain America was pretty awesome.

Also rented "Limitless", and that rocked.

I watched Limitless the other night as well. I thought the concept was awesome. I loved the movie up until

the stuff about the mafia guy needing more pills got more serious. The whole assault on his apartment left me feeling 'meh'. And then when he said the line about "the last of the drug I need is in that guy's blood", I seriously said "no, that's dumb" out loud when drank the spilled blood. But then it turned a corner quickly with the ending - love that part.

Overall, I walked away really enjoying this movie and did recommend it to a friend.

I finally watched A history of Violence over the weekend. Not bad although I expected more out of it given the rave reviews my friends had given it.

Also tried watching The Man From Earth based on qwerty's suggestion. Was totally getting into it and Netflix streaming cut it off at the 26 minute mark. When I went back to the description page it shows up as a 26 minute long film which is wrong. IMDB shows it as 1 hr 27 minutes. WTF!! Now I have to go find it somewhere since I got rid of the DVD plan with them.

Edited by BigSqwert