2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
I finally watched A history of Violence over the weekend. Not bad although I expected more out of it given the rave reviews my friends had given it.

Also tried watching The Man From Earth based on qwerty's suggestion. Was totally getting into it and Netflix streaming cut it off at the 26 minute mark. When I went back to the description page it shows up as a 26 minute long film which is wrong. IMDB shows it as 1 hr 27 minutes. WTF!! Now I have to go find it somewhere since I got rid of the DVD plan with them.

The entire run of A History Of Violence, I kept having two thoughts run through my head.

1.) What is the point of this/What's going on?

2.) Why did they make this?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 09:32 AM)
I finally watched A history of Violence over the weekend. Not bad although I expected more out of it given the rave reviews my friends had given it.

Also tried watching The Man From Earth based on qwerty's suggestion. Was totally getting into it and Netflix streaming cut it off at the 26 minute mark. When I went back to the description page it shows up as a 26 minute long film which is wrong. IMDB shows it as 1 hr 27 minutes. WTF!! Now I have to go find it somewhere since I got rid of the DVD plan with them.

I watched it a couple months ago, also based on qwerty's post. I ran into the same NetFlix streaming glitch at the same point in the film and had to work a while to place the playhead a bit past the apparent corruption. There was about 1 minute of the film I couldn't access.

I enjoyed the film and think it's good as long as you are willing to suspend an amazing amount of disbelief regarding all of the things the protagonist claims to have done, all the events he was at, and all the lives he led in his 14k years on Earth.

Until today, little was known about Ridley Scott's next film Prometheus, and even the main detail was one that Scott has intentionally muddled: It's a prequel to Alien ... but not really. Today at Comic-Con, though, Scott, screenwriter Damon Lindelof, and stars Charlize Theron and Noomi Rapace lifted the lid on Scott's sci-fi thriller and showed off the first footage ever.

Article from a week ago on Prometheus, the prequel/not-a-prequel to the Aliens franchise. Full article here.

No actual footage (just a screenshot) but the description of the visuals sounds legit -

The look of the film was what impressed us most. Black and white with pops of clean, bold color, Scott breaks up the white of Fassbender's spacesuit by placing an orange basketball in his hands, and cuts through the dark interior of the spaceship with the fluorescence of a yellow-visored helmet or a blue flashlight beam.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Good stuff. That was theater-worthy for us.

My son was 7 months old at the time, so I waited for the DVD. Then it took me 6 months after purchase to watch it. Fatherhood...

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)
My son was 7 months old at the time, so I waited for the DVD. Then it took me 6 months after purchase to watch it. Fatherhood...

So you have a young son....I have a newborn daughter. Both to be raised as die-hard Sox fans. Should we set up a dowry now or wait a while longer?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
So you have a young son....I have a newborn daughter. Both to be raised as die-hard Sox fans. Should we set up a dowry now or wait a while longer?

He's 18 months old now. My son's already a player, don't want you to have to break out your shotgun on him. As the father of the female, you'd have to compensate us, correct?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
He's 18 months old now. My son's already a player, don't want you to have to break out your shotgun on him. As the father of the female, you'd have to compensate us, correct?

Haha. Not sure how that works. And if that's the case, then f*** it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
Haha. Not sure how that works. And if that's the case, then f*** it.

I think it is, because the male is considered more valuable. Plus, my boy's a carnivore.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
What the hell just happened in this thread?

Sidebar negotiations about a possible arranged marriage between my son and Marko's daughter. The deal fell apart due to "philosophical" reasons on Marko's part. I think that covers it in a nutshell.