2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moneyball has a lot going for it: glowing reviews are calling Brad Pitt​ a serious Oscar contender, adults are clearly hungry for Oscar bait (see grosses for The Help and Midnight in Paris) and activity on Facebook and Twitter shows a lot of promise.

As of 3 p.m. PT, Fandango is reporting that Moneyball is responsible for 7% of daily sales.

Look for Moneyball to grab $19 million from more than 2,900 locations during its debut frame. And $64 million for its entire domestic run.

EBERT gave it 4 stars.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d.../110929999/1023

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 21, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
The Critic lost all his ability to criticize when he admitted he likes both the Redwings and the Blackhawks.

First of all, "Red Wings" are two words.

:P :D

And secondly, NOTHING will ever hamper my awesome natural ability to b**** and moan!

I do like many things, and the things I like I REALLY like, but there are way more things out there that I don't like.

I chose The Critic as my name for just that reason - I knew that I'd be complaining and criticizing a lot more often than I'd be praising or rejoicing.

EDIT: And I'll go see Moneyball as soon as a Billy Beane-led team wins some hardware - and an Oscar doesn't count.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 22, 2011 -> 01:52 AM)
First of all, "Red Wings" are two words.

:P :D

And secondly, NOTHING will ever hamper my awesome natural ability to b**** and moan!

I do like many things, and the things I like I REALLY like, but there are way more things out there that I don't like.

I chose The Critic as my name for just that reason - I knew that I'd be complaining and criticizing a lot more often than I'd be praising or rejoicing.

EDIT: And I'll go see Moneyball as soon as a Billy Beane-led team wins some hardware - and an Oscar doesn't count.

Does that mean you didn't enjoy Glory because the 54th Massachusetts Regiment lost the battle for Fort Wagner?

Meanwhile, the new "Team Jacob" movie Abduction had zero positive critical reviews the last time I checked.

You just don't see that happen very often. Check that 48 negative, 2 positive.

Well, personally, I would have given him one star just for PNC Park and him wearing a certain Pirates' jersey. - 1/2 for it being the quite ugly late 60's/early 70's Pirate jersey.

Edited by caulfield12

To give Mr. Lautner his due, he is a martial-arts dervish with perfectly sculptured abs. His acting, however, is another matter. I can’t recall another teenage star so opaque. If his physiognomy — recessed eyes that don’t seem to focus, a wide snub nose and Elvis-y lips — conjure Neanderthal manhood after a cosmetic makeover, his boyish monotone with its utter lack of inflection suggests that he is really an advanced robot simulating human speech without registering emotion or even comprehension.

New York Times having their way with the "poor" guy.

I do think if I had to choose, I'd rather be forced to watch another Zac Effron movie than Lautner or Pattinson.

Looking like a pretty good english translation/remake. Pretty crazy that Rooney Mara's grandparents founded the New York Giants and the Pittsburgh Steelers, that is some NFL royalty blood right there. Although, it isnt as if they tried to hide it with her name, lol

QUOTE (juddling @ Sep 24, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
Just watched The Fighter (Marky Mark and Christian Bale) on Netflix. I was not very impressed.

It really wasn't that good. I watched it some day after hearing it was a solid flick, but I thought it was very forgettable.

On that note, just saw Moneyball. It was alright, but there were a lot of little issues that kept me from being truly immersed in the film. It's a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes right now, which is grossly overrating how good the movie actually is. It's very slow paced, and while the dialogue is solid (afterall, it's Sorkin), there's no point in seeing the movie if you've read the book. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it at all, but when it comes down to it, read the book instead.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
It really wasn't that good. I watched it some day after hearing it was a solid flick, but I thought it was very forgettable.

On that note, just saw Moneyball. It was alright, but there were a lot of little issues that kept me from being truly immersed in the film. It's a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes right now, which is grossly overrating how good the movie actually is. It's very slow paced, and while the dialogue is solid (afterall, it's Sorkin), there's no point in seeing the movie if you've read the book. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it at all, but when it comes down to it, read the book instead.

As a die hard baseball fan was it more the baseball content that turned you off or the actual movie itself?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:27 AM)
As a die hard baseball fan was it more the baseball content that turned you off or the actual movie itself?

I'd say it was a lot of the baseball stuff that bugged me and stopped me from really getting into. I understand some of the changes they made from the book to make it transfer to the screen better, but still. One of the first scenes in the movie is Beane flying to Cleveland to have trade talks with the Indians. If you're trying to sell me the idea that the A's had no money to spend, then don't have the main character wasting money on flights to start a trade conversation. That would NEVER happen. A GM doesn't fly across the country to ask another GM "Hey, how about this OF?"

I realize this sort of gripe is pretty petty, but it's one of those things that stops you from buying the environment they're selling, which really impacts the experience.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 06:59 AM)
I'd say it was a lot of the baseball stuff that bugged me and stopped me from really getting into. I understand some of the changes they made from the book to make it transfer to the screen better, but still. One of the first scenes in the movie is Beane flying to Cleveland to have trade talks with the Indians. If you're trying to sell me the idea that the A's had no money to spend, then don't have the main character wasting money on flights to start a trade conversation. That would NEVER happen. A GM doesn't fly across the country to ask another GM "Hey, how about this OF?"

I realize this sort of gripe is pretty petty, but it's one of those things that stops you from buying the environment they're selling, which really impacts the experience.

Wasn't that about trading for Ricardo Rincon?

Hardly the kind of thing you'd fly thousands of miles for if you were charging for soda pop in the clubhouse (also not a true story that was inserted to make the A's look more like Charlie Finley's A's).

Then again, once upon a time, one infamous team did trade Brian Giles for Rincon, lol. That was probably worth a Gulfstream/G6 flight.

We were going to check out 'Moneyball' this weekend, but then their marketing department did a 180 and decided to run a commercial last night calling it the "feel good movie of the year", which pissed me off because it's "Moneyball" and about Billy Beane. They just lost two tickets based on that s*** commercial alone.

SOOOO, we're going to check out "50/50", which looks great and by all accounts is really good. The only thing that can get me to see a Seth Rogan movie would be if the other lead is a fantastic actor. They covered this with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I'll let y'all know how it is sometime late Saturday.