2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
I flipped on Escape from LA, it was terrible but yet I still watched it all the way through. That is all.

I watched "Escape from NY" and "Escape from LA" back to back when "LA" came out.

They're almost the same film.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 1, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
I watched "Escape from NY" and "Escape from LA" back to back when "LA" came out.

They're almost the same film.

How sad is that, considering Carpenter directed both? If another director was in charge and used the first blueprint, I guess it is understandable. But Carpenter just did the same exact thing, twice. The older he has gotten, the less creative he has gotten. In the Mouth of Madness is really the last time I enjoyed one of his movies

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
The gist was proving that you don't need a large payroll to win games. The A's did a damn good job of that. Whether or not they won the World Series is irrelevant, especially given the lasting impact it's had on the game.

That's what happens when you have three of the better pitchers of the first half of the decade on your team....which were all drafted by scouts (oops!)

Watched Hereafter last night....freaking horrendous.

Watched The Adjustment Bureau tonight....pretty solid, although a bit corny.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 12:17 AM)
That's what happens when you have three of the better pitchers of the first half of the decade on your team....which were all drafted by scouts (oops!)

Well, they were all drafted by either Beane or Sandy Alderson, who was doing Beane's thing before Beane took over. That was another gripe with the movie, Alderson's name wasn't mentioned once.

QUOTE (Felix @ Oct 2, 2011 -> 06:14 AM)
Well, they were all drafted by either Beane or Sandy Alderson, who was doing Beane's thing before Beane took over. That was another gripe with the movie, Alderson's name wasn't mentioned once.

And Zito, Mulder, and Hudson were hardly mentioned either...;)

The point I was making is that they were drafted using scouting, not the data crunching methods shown in the movie...

My buddy saw Paranormal Activity 3 at Fantastic Fest last week and said it was the best horror movie in the last decade. He thought the first was ok and the second was bad. Seems to be the consensus down their that it is a shock how good and scary it is.

REALLY getting tired of Netflix recently. It seems that every other DVD I get is scratched so minutely that it hardly even shows, but prevents the movie from playing. The worst part is that it always happens closer to the end of the movie, so I have to wait an extra couple of days just to finish it and further delay my next DVD.

Is Blockbuster any better? I'm completely serious about changing this. I can't even stand it anymore.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
REALLY getting tired of Netflix recently. It seems that every other DVD I get is scratched so minutely that it hardly even shows, but prevents the movie from playing. The worst part is that it always happens closer to the end of the movie, so I have to wait an extra couple of days just to finish it and further delay my next DVD.

Is Blockbuster any better? I'm completely serious about changing this. I can't even stand it anymore.

I think I am going to streaming only for Netflix than just Redbox if I want anything new.

i dont know about the quality of the discs, but the catalog is bigger

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
I think I am going to streaming only for Netflix than just Redbox if I want anything new.

Streaming has such a limited catalog.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
i dont know about the quality of the discs, but the catalog is bigger

That's good to know.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Just saw Moneyball. Disappointed they never talked about the great players Oakland had. Why no talk or mention of The Big 3? I mean, Zito was a BEAST that year. They had Eric Chavez, Miguel Tejada was a stud. I just think it was too doom and gloom.

Beane didn't bring in most of those guys.

Milk, this sounds much more like a hardware issue than a data issue. Your DVD player might be taking a s***, because it should be able to handle light scratches as described above.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 08:49 AM)
Milk, this sounds much more like a hardware issue than a data issue. Your DVD player might be taking a s***, because it should be able to handle light scratches as described above.

The DVD player is very new. I seriously doubt that it's the problem.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
minute scratches + dvd no working = hardware

Perhaps we have different definitions of minute. The scratches won't look like they were made by a knife, but there will be tons of them. I've played plenty of DVDs with minor-looking scratches like that (borrowed ones, not sure how people let that happen) that worked without a problem.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)
Perhaps we have different definitions of minute. The scratches won't look like they were made by a knife, but there will be tons of them. I've played plenty of DVDs with minor-looking scratches like that (borrowed ones, not sure how people let that happen) that worked without a problem.

Tons of scratches does not = minute, in my brain.

If what constitutes as "minute" for you is anything that looks like it hasn't had an ax taken to it, then yeah, we have different definitions!